Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Simon Wiesenthal, Israel-Austria Joint Issue.  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6142 Posts
Posted 02/03/2011   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Londonbus1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In June 2010, Israel and Austria issued a stamp to commemorate the life of Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal.
The stamps were the first ever to be issued using a Laser etching and lacing technology and the Star of David can be seen on both sides of the stamp. The perforations were also done using Laser technology.

The stamps were printed by a Thai-British Laser Security Printers in New Zealand.

The Israel stamp was issued in Sheetlets of 4, two with tabs. On the tab is written Wiesenthal's lifelong motto " Justice, not vengeance".

I do not have an example of the Austria stamp but it is almost identical except for the country name and value. Both were printed by the same company.

I was in our office yesterday and was shown a new arrival of stamps by our Secretary, as I often am. One was this issue and I took some sheetlets away with me. But before I did I was shown what happened when she tried to seperate the stamps from the sheet for use on mail. I was immediately intrigued as there seemed to be no regular pattern to the splitting. [see below] Most of the problems occurred around the Star of David.
The joint issue Stamp group has advised never to soak this stamp off the cover....now I know why !

Does anyone have an Austrian example to show and tell ? Or has anyone seen one used off paper ? Might be interesting to know.

Londonbus1....not splitting just yet !
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
4622 Posts
Posted 02/04/2011   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess these will have to be collected in mint condition. They must have set the lasers on HIGH!

Seriously, they are impressive stamps with important historical significance.

Thanks for sharing,
Kirk

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5700 Posts
Posted 02/04/2011   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Austria's example:

Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 02/28/2011   12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dor to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I can see I will have to start getting new issues again...LOL. Yes, I agree, with the laser etching of the Magen David, it must have compromised the integrity of the paper. Pity...
If I am ever lucky enough to get a used one, I will definitely keep it on paper! Thanks for the heads up.

Dor
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6142 Posts
Posted 02/28/2011   01:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If I am ever lucky enough to get a used one, I will definitely keep it on paper!

Dor,

For you, a used copy can easily be arranged !

Londonbus1....such a nice guy
Pillar Of The Community
United States
628 Posts
Posted 02/28/2011   06:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reminds me of a tecnique to prevent re-use of the stamp.

Dave N.
<><
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 03/01/2011   02:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dor to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Londonbus,
You are too kind. When I get to my 50 posts, I think I have some flags for you.

Dor
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05