Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Railroad Related Postcards!

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13
Pillar Of The Community
United States
910 Posts
Posted 08/27/2017   02:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Laurie, that Pike's Peak postcard is of great interest to me! I was in Colorado just a few weeks ago and stopped to visit the railroad museum in Golden. Here is one of the "pusher" locomotives that probably appears billowing smoke on that card. The cog rail gear and track was needed to get the train up the very steep incline.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
569 Posts
Posted 09/17/2017   06:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aha!, that could explain the cancel for me...the cogs!
Thanks Greg!, you could make me an offer!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2683 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   2:58 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
State Line Tunnel - Actually west of the NY/MA state line, used today by CSX
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2683 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   3:37 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Ware River Bridge" seems to actually refer to the Boston & Albany's Ware River Branch, as the river this bridge went over is the Otter River in Baldwinville MA (no "S").

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2683 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   3:39 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Only one of the three bridges in these cards exist today, but you can see some of the other abutments still.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
910 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Which bridge survived?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2265 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6403 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While not technically a post card (I suppose) this certainly is Railroad related.

Unused, but precanceled Post Office Dept Registry Dispatch Receipt Card post marked on September 17 1948 for the New York & Chicago RR 20th Century Ltd.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2683 Posts
Posted 11/17/2017   3:58 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CORRECTION: the bridge that littleriverphil shared is NOT the same location as in my postcard.

The railroad bridge is still there and in use by Pan Am (ex-Boston & Maine) and Amtrak. The abutments of the trolley and road bridges can still be seen. A little searching around will confirm whether or not those 2 were washed away during one of the 3 large storms of the late 1930s. I am pretty sure at least one was.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
183 Posts
Posted 11/17/2017   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Cumberland Valley RR depot in my old hometown of Waynesboro, PA. This was gone by the time I came along.
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 05/13/2018   1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Recently acquired this postcard at an antique mall.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1133 Posts
Posted 05/13/2018   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A novel use for obsolete rolling stock:

Robert
Edited by stampfan9 - 05/13/2018 9:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 05/30/2018   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Deltilogical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found this at an antique mall in Sturbridge Mass last December.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
910 Posts
Posted 06/27/2018   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I posted a card showing the Lookout Mountain Incline Rwy not too far back. Here's one I found with a close-up of the car. I believe they "helped" steepen the incline by at least 30 degrees.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3213 Posts
Posted 06/27/2018   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the picture looked odd. On their website, they advertise a 72.7 % grade.
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05