Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Railroad Related Postcards!

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
180 Posts
Posted 07/13/2018   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Logan House and PRR Train Shed & Station, Altoona, PA. Postmarked Altoona, April, 1911, sent to Hollidaysburg, General Delivery. *-Disclaimer: contains no actual trains.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
180 Posts
Posted 07/29/2018   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trying to get this thread going again...c'mon let's see what RR Postcards you all are holding!

Here's not one, but two Burlington Zephyrs. Probably a staged advertising shot, but interesting nonetheless.

Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 07/29/2018   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Deltilogical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an image I really enjoy...
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 07/29/2018   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Deltilogical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The editing on the building signs in this image is from the printing plates...there is no damage to the card itself

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2247 Posts
Posted 07/30/2018   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Entering the Redwood forests of Northern California. An un used card from Duncan Mills in Sonoma County, Cal.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
112 Posts
Posted 07/30/2018   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is an image I really enjoy...

This is a great image, I'd love to see it blown up, extraordinary engines. Quite an early photo I guess. Unlike the way railway yards in the UK were often squeezed in to narrow spaces, here in France the space around the turntable seems to be vast!
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 08/04/2018   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Deltilogical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6369 Posts
Posted 08/04/2018   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And similar to the postal card I posted on the previous page, here's a 1906 Registered Package Receipt from the Amarillo & Ft. Worth RR. Sorry, only scanned the one side.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2964 Posts
Posted 08/16/2018   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an attractive modern German PC from the end of the steam engine era. Card says "Gut angekommen!" or arrived safely. It was sent from Munich July 7, 1956 to Atlanta, Georgia. Nice artwork.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26701 Posts
Posted 08/16/2018   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Like the Argentine cover... "Liliputana"
Referring to land of the little people "Gulliver's Travels" (Swift)

I was recently watching a movie ("I Do" ) with my favourite French actor, Alain Chabat, two men were attempting to carry a huge mahogany Pot Stand, up a steep staircase, and Chabat comments "Are you going help me with Gulliver's toothpick or not ?"

I rolled around the lounge carpet in fits of laughter, anyone seeing me would have thought I had completely lost my senses.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
180 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Deltilogical...I really like that pic too; thanks for posting it for us all to enjoy. And all you others as well!

Here's a D&RGW 4-8-4 Baldwin in Byers Canyon. In beautiful ETCH TONE black and white.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
180 Posts
Posted 08/19/2018   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A view of the trainyards at South Omaha, Neb., postmarked 1914 at the Union Depot in Omaha. Note that it's addressed to the individual with just City and State specified.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
172 Posts
Posted 08/19/2018   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know for sure if those Grey boxcar roofs were galvanized metal, grey paint or just the colour the artist chose to use when tinting the original. I know this isn't philatelic but I like railroads.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3739 Posts
Posted 08/19/2018   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Note that it's addressed to the individual with just City and State specified ...

TPFKAMI (The Person Formerly Known As Mrs ikeyPikey) spent a good bit of her childhood in Oakes ND and, in fact, returned there a few years ago.

Its probably bigger now (population 1,781 in 2016) than it was one hundred years ago, but you could probably still get away with addressing a postcard with just the name, city & state ... at least for the old-timers.

I was looking thru a small pile of old photographs at a thrift shop - not something I often do - and came across one of a family & farmhouse in Oakes. I sent it to the lass, but never heard whether/not she found the family.

Meanwhile, here's what an Oakes postmark looked like back in the day:

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
180 Posts
Posted 08/23/2018   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IkeyPikey, thanks for the Oakes-related material. Quite a small world, really.

Here's a card featuring a painting of a P&LE 2-8-4 by noted railroad artist Howard Fogg.

Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 5.4 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05