Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Skeleton Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 131 / Views: 31,056Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/07/2011   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I thought all good philatelists used Gibbons"

Thanks Rod, I'll take that as a compliment.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2828 Posts
Posted 04/07/2011   4:43 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BUS - Interesting! So were they actually used on mail? Who provided the service if the PO was on strike?
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 04/07/2011   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nells, private courier services delivered the mail ...i have some from Canada also..i have shown them before but I will dig them out !
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6190 Posts
Posted 04/07/2011   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nells,

During the Postal strike of 1971, many companies,Dealers,offices etc ran their own Postal Services. Many saw actual postal use, some didn't. A good number were issued only for collectors [Which is what the Postal services are doing today ].

The Pirate Post of Bellerby-Palmer saw actual postal use. The comapnies themselves organized delivery. In this case, Bellerby were the Printers but I have no information on the Palmer half.

Theory:
There was a long-established Coal Merchant in Exeter by the name of Palmer. He worked from the railways. So what if he saw a good way to earn a fast buck, met Mr Bellerby in the Railway Tavern on a cold January evening and there they cut a deal.
They ordered one of their trustworthy young workers to take the train [Which was probably free] first to Bristol and then to London.

Londonbus1....Well, it's possible isn't it?

PS. Phil's explanation is more likely !
Edited by Londonbus1 - 04/07/2011 5:05 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32517 Posts
Posted 04/08/2011   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Possibly the skeleton of a Thesaurus.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3558 Posts
Posted 04/08/2011   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhlovell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, Could you please come up with a couple of different words for that picture?
Edited by jhlovell - 04/08/2011 10:57 am
Valued Member
Canada
338 Posts
Posted 04/08/2011   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lux1228 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I'm on the same page of the thesaurus as Jeff here, Rod, I would like to hear a few words for this as well...bahaha
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/10/2011   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Time to raise this one from the dead...

Must be something in the water in Hungary
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5105 Posts
Posted 04/13/2011   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a partial skeleton. I think it's a very good design. The stamp conveys a message in a stark way.

The German notation on the edges more or less says " Safety belts tie
Deaths hands "

Valued Member
83 Posts
Posted 04/13/2011   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add miawanis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh wow, that stamp from Slovenia is weird - I love it

This Canadian one is a favorite:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2828 Posts
Posted 04/14/2011   6:17 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Creeeeepeeeeeeeee!
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/14/2011   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really really dig that United Nations (papaver somniferum) -Opium poppy pod with the skulls in them! Stunning!
The HUNTS REMEDY graphics are really intricate too! Love them!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2828 Posts
Posted 04/14/2011   7:17 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just came across another:

Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
Posted 04/15/2011   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bearwithfish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
these are amazing! very beautiful....
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2828 Posts
Posted 04/17/2011   7:37 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found this one on a postcard:

Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 131 / Views: 31,056Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05