Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Album Reviews

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 12,411Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2880 Posts
Posted 04/06/2011   12:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rileysan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think it's safe to say that the majority of stamp collectors store their stamps in albums, stocks pages, or some other medium that suits their fancy and budget. When I started collecting 30+ years ago, I was limited in scope to those manufacturers that were common to the storefronts that sold said albums and supplies in my hometown ... Scott, Harris, and Minkus. Then the internet came along and I discovered a whole new world of Philatelic products!

To date, I own some ~40 albums from nearly every major manufacturer in the world. Looking down the road, it is my intention to own a specialized album for every European country that has ever issued postage stamps. But as we all know, not all albums are created equal.

As such, I crave more information about albums so as to avoid the expensive mistakes I have made in the past of buying an album that doesn't meet my needs.

I would love to hear from the SCF community on what you use for your collections.

Including:

* Your likes and dislikes about certain albums and/or their manufacturers. (EG: some albums do not dedicate a section to airmail but rather places them into regular postage).
* Specifics on what your album might be missing (EG: Lighthouse hingeless US albums have no place for the 1869 pictorial reprints)
* Or extras contained therein (EG: Mystic's Heirloom hingeless album has a place for the 1c Z-grill).
* Quality of the binder and paper
* Retail price and price of yearly updates.

I fully intend to write several reviews myself, but not tonight ... it's about time to turn in.

I look forward to your reviews!

Brian
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 04/06/2011   05:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Minkus - I use a Minkus album to store my Spain and Colonies collection. The album is well constructed and accessible from either end. They do not separate the "BOB" stamps from the rest, and list them simply in chronological order. The album is well-made and while it is already somewhat old, will serve my needs for years to come.

Harris: I have recently acquired a Harris album for the US (forum auction). Thus far I am pleased, the paper quality is superior to the album I have now (Scott Minuteman).
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9748 Posts
Posted 04/06/2011   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Brian the premier album in my collection is a Lighthouse hingeless Argentina....its not a cheap album but I did very well getting it for $99 on eBay full of mint never hinged stamps..i guess not that many folks bid on Argentina collections..but when buying stamps I remember what an old dealer told me once..when buying a collection,pay for the stamps not the album...i try to follow that advice when starting a new country collection !
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2034 Posts
Posted 04/13/2011   3:57 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I missed this until now. I have definite ideas about some albums. One pet peeve has been publishers who use frame boxes too small to accommodate the stamp in a mount, if you use black ones its disconcerting to have the frame line sticking out below the mount. Some publishers seem not to realize most of use use mounts these days. Minkus used to be bad in this regard. That said here is my opinion on some publishers:
Scott: Good coverage and of course they have the catalog numbers. Their pages are too wide to fit a printer so you cannot make supplemental pages. I have had success printing on standard paper then paying them to be copied onto Scott pages at Kinko's.
Minkus: Mostly no longer published but I always thought the paper too cheap and boxes too small, crowded pages. Not bad for used collections.
Harris: Again, cheap paper. Odd page size.
Lindner: Nice albums if you need to see both sides of your stamps. Otherwise they are terribly expensive and IMO a bit ugly. I used for some collections and I was always buying binders.
Lighthouse: Nice albums, you can get 125 pages into a binder so you save on those. They sell stock pages that will hold your own inserts so you can do write ups and save the trip to Kinko's. Gibbons: Expensive and not readily available in the US. Lack of consistancy on page and binder size for their different albums.
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
Posted 02/22/2015   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dcaraz1949 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi to All, in 2011, back when this discussion took place, I jumped back into seriously collecting older US through 1930's. Fast forward to 2015, and I wish to catalog and house my US collection in hingeless albums. I'm moving US postals, revenues, and Officials from several older beat up purchased albums into new not-yet-purchased hingeless album(s). But it takes connections at the CIA to gather adequate info on which album manufacturer has best solutions. Can't believe how nearly impossible it is to find detailed info online in order to compare manufacturers products. Some of the high-end albums are beautifully simple and clean. But while the pages are elegant if I'm not mistaken, Davo and Lindner fail to include SC#s in their albums. This is not acceptable to me -- makes maintaining a catalog more difficult. Online hardly any large detailed photos or detailed text descriptions of the album content seems available. I'm leaning toward the Scott/German made hingeless. But now I hear Mystic has multiple hingeless albums including SC#s. Does anyone know of a source for more complete images? Do stamp retail dealers stock better albums? Or do we have to spend months asking fellow collectors for advice :-) ???

Cheers to all!
Pillar Of The Community
2013 Posts
Posted 02/22/2015   12:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add area66 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No one use Lighthouse ?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6864 Posts
Posted 02/22/2015   1:09 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is an excellent review of US albums:

http://goscf.com/t/17127&SearchTerms=album,review
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
Posted 03/01/2015   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dcaraz1949 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like this string includes some folks I have been chatting with on topic of US Albums.
Since I am currently researching for a purchase of new hingeless US album (through 1930's),
I'm including my recent observations here as well. There is far too little info available on manufacturer or dealer websites!

My latest update in search of my ideal US Hingeless Album:

A MAJOR determining factor for me is the number of pages dedicated to house my target US collection years from 1845 to 1930's.
While the layout and quality of several album manufacturers appears to be very impressive, the number of pages each company has
created for these issues varies greatly -- between 97 and 54 pages. Understanding how many issues can be housed has become my
key focus. I expect to include certain BOB issues and as many variations of older issues as possible, so the choice between
an album with 60 pages or nearly 100 pages has led to a clear leader.

Currently, the new Schaubek Scott National US Hingeless Album combines the most benefits I seek:
> Largest capacity -- 97 pages
> Most BOB included (I use an old Scott Specialty album for my Revenues)
> Most issues between my collecting dates -- through 1930's
> Includes Scott Cat numbering
> Available with binder and slipcase under $300
> Ring system that lays flat

Here are my comparisons (sight unseen, but I have requested sample pages):

SAFE -- Beautiful looking pages, 14-ring mechanism + slipcase. I'd require purchasing 3 different page groups that total 81 pages,
and I have no clue if Officials, Postage Due, Parcel Post are included. Not sure why the stamp pages are broken out as they are in groups with different end dates: 41 Regulars pages 1847 - 1937, 21 Commemoratives pages 1893 - 1945, and 19 Airmails pages 1918 - 2012? Damage Report? $412

LINDNER -- Again, very clean aesthetics and quality 18-ring mechanism; but 1847 - 1936 is fit onto 54 pages costing $210!
-- so what was left out? Oh! Need to also purchase Officials, Postage Due 1879 - 1992 (but I don't want 1940's - 1990's!)
That's $187 more. Damage Report? $397

LIGHTHOUSE -- Looks equal to the best Euro albums; elegant pages; 13-ring mechanism + slipcase. US Hingeless 1847 - 1935 is spread across 60 pages; With a VARIO Binder + slipcase; but no whwere can I find out if any BOB is included; Damage Report? approx $285

SCHAUBEK SCOTT NATIONAL -- this hingeless Volume 1 covers 1845 - 1934; quality Euro pages; 6-ring mechanism lays flat when open; design follows Scott National layout including Scott cat numbers; Vol 1 utilizes 97 pages and includes most BOB issues except Revenues; Senator multi-ring binder and slipcase; Damage Report? $273

I will add that I currently own a new unused traditional Mystic US Heirloom album that I may sell once I buy a hingeless book.
The Heirloom is nice quality a step down from those mentioned above re: 3-ring mechanism, lighter weight paper stock. Poor paper quality is my primary objection of my old Scott and Minkus albums which I have purchased at auction. The cheap thin paper is a disgrace to any better collection! I have 3 old albums from 1940's, '50's & '60's that included some rather rare and valuable stamps, but the paper used by publishers was real crap!
I have requested sample pages from several album sources because I wish to touch and view my future album up close before I buy it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1611 Posts
Posted 03/01/2015   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did Schaubek and Scott make a joint US album?

I always thought they were 2 separate companies
Learn More...
United States
4742 Posts
Posted 03/01/2015   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mike

I think Schaubek made their hingeless albums using the Scott page layout -- before Scott made a hingeless.
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
Posted 03/01/2015   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dcaraz1949 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Early SCF posts from 2011 include photos of the Scott National Hingeless. One was sold on eBay with a copyright date in
the mid or late 1970's. Page images showed browning or darkish yellowing where the adhesive used on the mounts had discolored over time.
Seems Scott decided to allow licensed use of the Scott National format and SC#s by Schaubek. I assume Schaubek manufacturing quality
won the day. Besides the Schaubek Scott National I believe the only other hingeless US album that includes the SC#s is Mystic's US Hingeless.

I'm hoping to receive several page samples to better compare manufacturers. I have read that Palo, an American manufacturer, follows the
Scott National page sequence (without SC#s); the Premium USA Volume 1 covers 1847 - 1940; all illustrations are printed in color on 100lb cream paper; and it totals 109 pages to for $390 w/5-ring binder and slipcase. Palo also sells a USA Documentary Revenue album 1862 - 1963 w/ 103 pages for $319.
IThe Davo website has almost no descriptive info on their USA Luxe Hingeless Album; Vol 1 covers 1847 - 1944 and costs $188; but there is no clue what issues are included, or paper weight, or construction system, or even number of pages. Seems the manufacturers haven't yet heard about "marketing".
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6864 Posts
Posted 03/02/2015   03:57 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Davo hingeless pages are 170gsm, cf. 100gsm for its standard pages.
Valued Member
13 Posts
Posted 03/15/2015   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BjRollison to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WRT to the Davo Deluxe hingeless album US Vol. 1 GeoffHa has already stated the paper weight. It feels similar to Scott pages. Vol. 1 covers commemoratives, definitives, souvenir sheets, airmail, special delivery, postage due, parcel post, parcel post postage due, officials, newspaper, and confederate stamps. The stamp order generally follows date of issue rather than Scott #. The Davo albums use Hawid mounts in Volumes 1 - 5. In Vol. 5 through 7 they use split back mounts similar to Prinz. The Davo albums also use a standard 2 post binding system, in a padded faux-leather binder.

My first album was a hand-me-down Minkus album circa 1953 (that I keep sans-stamps for nostalgia's sake). Over the years I have used used a Harris Lighthouse Album, 3 ring binders, and have currently settled on Davo and Scott albums. (I am still waffling between a Palo album for my S. Vietnam collection or rolling my own in a Scott binder.) I have learned that no single pre-printed album that will satisfy everyone's taste. I don't like the fact the Davo pages don't lay flat and I also like the cream colored pages compared to the bright white pages, but the Davo albums "look" fantastic and hold my mint collections. I use Scott albums to house my used collection that I access frequently and use to "show off" my collection to friends and family that show interest.

(Personally, I have never liked the White Ace albums. While the page stock is great and the annotations are a nice add, I have always thought the border and headers look rather "unprofessional"and child-like. I do like the Schaubek albums, but see no reason to switch.)

My point is that no single album will be perfect in every way. That is why they make blank filler pages I guess. I think if we get caught up into 'album envy' and trying to find the 'perfect' album we lose sight of the hobby and the joy of pursuing those elusive stamps to fill our albums.
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
Posted 04/02/2015   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dekka37 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Brian - I have been looking at the French Album made by Ceres. The Presidence. What do you know about this album. Thanks. Tommy
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
Posted 04/10/2015   07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dcaraz1949 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree 100% with BjRollison...it's difficult to please every collector's needs and preferences, despite the number of different approaches to albums available. Back a couple months ago when I found this original discussion that began in 2011, I sought info on the available hingeless albums which I had no experience with. In the end, I needed to request and receive page sample to do a legitimate comparison.

Last night I began moving my classic US collection into its new home...
The surprising winner ended up being Mystic Stamp's Premium Hingeless American Heirloom Volume l 1847 - 1934 and Back-of-the-Book Albums.

Primary decision came down to having a safer, easier to use mounting system (mounts are split at the top rather than split across the back, which reduces chances of stamp damage; plus Mystic includes a more "complete" stamp story and SC# identification for nearly every issue.

While I love the clean handsome presentation of the Euro albums-- SAFE, Lindner & Davo -- these albums include none of the stamp history nicely designed into the Mystic. And having the elusive Scott numbering system in the end narrowed choices down to the Schaubek/ Scott National and Mystic. And the Schaubek has split back mounts which I do not prefer.

I'm happy right now!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2025 Posts
Posted 04/10/2015   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Primary decision came down to having a safer, easier to use mounting system (mounts are split at the top rather than split across the back, which reduces chances of stamp damage;

If one collects MNH, the open-top mounts are safer than the split-back for additional reasons. Long-time dealers and expertizers will tell you that they see frequent gum damage from split-back mounts, primarily a line in the gum right where the split is in the mount. Open-top mounts don't have this issue.

It's not difficult inserting a stamp into a split-back mount when the mount isn't yet attached to the page. Once it's been affixed to the page, inserting and removing stamps gets a lot trickier, as you've alluded to.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 12,411Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05