Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are The Largest Stamps Ever?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 4,718Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2966 Posts
Posted 05/02/2011   4:04 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was just looking at this stamp:

... which measures 2 3/8" x 3 1/8". It made me wonder about other large stamps. I'd like to see other large postage & revenue stamps you may have. (Please try not to post large obviously fantasy/cinderella issues)
Send note to Staff
Edited by Nells250 - 05/02/2011 4:07 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1227 Posts
Posted 05/02/2011   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mhc99 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nells250, one of the largest stamps is the blue whale stamp issued by Canada in 2010. It measures approx. 13cm by 5cm.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by mhc99 - 05/02/2011 4:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2966 Posts
Posted 05/02/2011   4:26 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mhc99, I forgot about the whale! Just so happens I have one of those, along with the $8 Bear, which is also large... but not AS large!

5" x 2"

2 1/2" x 2 1/8"

Edited by Nells250 - 02/26/2018 7:04 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
1225 Posts
Posted 05/02/2011   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add artlaunier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Mars Pathfinder has got to be in the running....

Released: Dec. 10, 1997.

Mars Pathfinder landed in the Ares Vallis region of Mars on July 4, 1997.

The Mars Pathfinder stamp features the lander and the Sojourner rover as it prepares to explore Mars. Credit: NASA/JPL

Pathfinder's deployed a rover, Sojourner, to conduct detailed analysis of the terrain surrounding the landing site. While Sojourner traveled only 0.4 inches per second, the little rover that could remained hard at work on the surface of Mars for nearly three months, far surpassing its design life.

From landing until the final data transmission on September 27, 1997, Mars Pathfinder returned 2.3 billion bits of information, including more than 16,500 images from the lander and 550 images from the rover, as well as more than 15 chemical analyses of rocks and soil and extensive data on winds and other weather factors.

Findings from the investigations carried out by scientific instruments on both the lander and the rover suggest that Mars was at one time in its past warm and wet, with water existing in its liquid state and a thicker atmosphere.

Did you know -- Remote control commands from Earth took about 10 minutes to reach Sojourner!

This stamp featured an image that was beamed back from Pathfinder showing Sojourner as it prepared to explore the Martian landscape.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (The exact & entire wording of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2966 Posts
Posted 05/02/2011   5:01 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let me grab my ruler... the stamp itself is 3"x 2 7/8". Not bad!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
842 Posts
Posted 05/02/2011   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 2 British stamps below do not take the prize despite being large. I just happen to like them as stamps.

However, this one from Brazil is in the running. I think it is one of the earliest "giant" stamps.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2966 Posts
Posted 05/02/2011   5:13 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aaaah... metric vs. standard... ;-)
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5156 Posts
Posted 05/02/2011   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if this counts as a stamp or block. It's imperforate.

Poland 1960 Veit Stoss Altar.

86mm X 107mm or approx 3 1/2" X 4 1/4" or 3.5" X 4.25"

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6058 Posts
Posted 05/02/2011   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a thread with some big stamps...I've posted the Yemeni cats there, and in the BIG cats thread, so I'll not put it here, but the earlier topic is found at:
http://goscf.com/t/7779
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2966 Posts
Posted 02/25/2018   4:12 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Netherlands
207 Posts
Posted 02/26/2018   01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KlausR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another, probably the largest of them all, with 18.5 x 13.5 cm (7 1/8" x 5 1/8")

Klaus
Edited by KlausR - 02/26/2018 01:19 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2966 Posts
Posted 02/27/2018   4:57 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose we could argue about the validity of that Mongolian postage... seeing as it is larger than the average envelope!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 02/27/2018   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The proof for all such contrivances is to see one on cover or piece.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 02/27/2018   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, bookbndrbob!

Wert had it right when he began an earlier thread:

http://goscf.com/t/43259 ... Post your biggest stamp on an envelope.

My contribution was:

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
Netherlands
207 Posts
Posted 02/28/2018   03:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KlausR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I suppose we could argue about the validity of that Mongolian postage... seeing as it is larger than the average envelope!

There is a lid for every pot. In the same manner there is an envelope for every stamp. This XXXL stamp fits on a DIN-A3 envelope which I bought at the local post office, see the 2nd pic. The 1st pic shows the stamp as it is sold.

Klaus

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2966 Posts
Posted 02/28/2018   8:39 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LOVE IT! DATA DATA DATA! The more data, the better!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 4,718Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05