Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Many Of US Collect Expo/Fair Related Items

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 86 / Views: 17,012Next Topic
Page: of 6
Rest in Peace
United States
1225 Posts
Posted 06/02/2011   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add artlaunier to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question:
I collect Exposition Tickets. I have noticed several others collecting them as well. So, if you collect Exposition or Fair related items be it cancellations, tickets or other items lets hear from you. I'm only listing those that are perhaps more memorable certainly not all. I have identified 59 events from 1876 to 1939 here in the U.S.

Choices:
1876 - Philadelphia - Centennial Exposition
1881 - Atlanta - International Cotton Exposition
1893 - Chicago - World's Columbian Exposition
1901 - Buffalo - Pan-American Exposition
1904 - St. Louis - Louisiana Purchase Exposition
1905 - Portland - Lewis & Clark Centennial Exposition
1907 - Hampton Roads - Jamestown Exposition
1909 - New York City - Hudson-Fulton Celebration
1909 - Seattle - Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition
1926 - Philadelphia - Sesquicentennial Exposition
1933 - Chicago - Century of Progress International Exposition
1939 - New York City - 1939 New York World's Fair

(Anonymous Vote)
Send note to Staff
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (The exact & entire wording of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 06/02/2011   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect them when I come across them. I have the majority of the WCE's, a 1876 Centennial Expo, and another from the 1930's.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2880 Posts
Posted 06/02/2011   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rileysan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I may very be the only person I know to collect Lewis & Clark expo related items. Unfortunately, there were never any postage stamps issued for the fair, but there was a post office on site that used fair related cancellations. Post cards and cinderella stamps were readily available as souvenirs.

The Oregon Historical Society published a comprehensive book in the 1980s that, among other things, describes the positive economic and population growth in and around Portland that resulted from the expo.

Brian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_...l_Exposition
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 06/02/2011   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Art, I tried to dot the Hudson-Fulton and the 1939 New York Worlds fair being a native New Yorker..but it would only let me select one !
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 06/02/2011   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The poll section only allows one selection per member.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6190 Posts
Posted 06/02/2011   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a general Expo/Exhibition collector of anything except Postage stamps, mostly UK and USA, but also others.

So no vote from me but a nice thread to see who is interested in this type of material.

Londonbus1
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
Posted 06/04/2011   01:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheSeal619 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Art
One of my buyers just came accross these. I must admit that I am completely ignorant about values. What would be a fair price? Sorry for the small scans but they are copies and not much I can do with them.

1876 United States Intern, Exhibition ticket, mint cond w/sharp cnrs, printed in black on white w/red serial no. & red "FIFTY CENTS" diagonally across front. Back in black depicting the allegorical Lady "Justice" (Indian Princess style). This was also known as the U.S. "Centennial Exhibition", thusly being held in Philadelphia. This was the first World's Fair to be held on U.S. Soil

1893 World's Columbian, Exposition ticket, Chicago, pictorial design w/George Washington at L, printed in blue & black. Excellent condition w/sharp corners. A prominent, blue "A" on front denotes that this ticket was for use on the first day of the exhibition
Ron
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
Posted 06/04/2011   02:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheSeal619 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also these?

1901 Pan-American, Exposition labels (2), same design, one green, one red, each showing the Electrical Tower & Fountain. Green stamp NG, red stamp OG, th, SE. Very attractive
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
Posted 06/04/2011   02:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheSeal619 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And these

1936 New York Philatelic, Exhibition labels, F-VF OG, set/3, blue w/damaged gum & tnd, brown w/DG
Edited by TheSeal619 - 06/04/2011 02:06 am
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 06/04/2011   03:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am interested in hexagon shapes and stamps and cancels. I have noticed some hexagon cancels (so far) on some exhibition covers but have not done a lot of research yet. Any in the US would be of interest to me also.
Rest in Peace
United States
1225 Posts
Posted 06/04/2011   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add artlaunier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ron,

Tickets from the 1876 Centennial tickets aren't that hard to find, they are very much like the 1893 Columbian Portrait tickets. You can find them priced anywhere from $10.00 to $40.00, depending on condition. Of course, there are those sellers who want to make their retirement in luxury on the sale of one ticket and ask hundred. That's BS if you ask me. All I can say is that I recently purchased the same 1876 ticket with the same over print for less than $30.00 and it's in real good shape.

The Washington Columbian "A" ticket doesn't have any premium so I would place it in the same range. The same would be for the Lincoln and Columbus tickets. the Indian ticket has a little premium, the Franklin "A" ticket can be had for less than a hundred and the Handel, the key, is usually less than two hundred. That being said, I have seen them for half of what I just quoted and some more than three times that amount. Condition, of course make a big difference.

There are legitimate copies out there and they will say so on the backs.

The 1904 Lewis & Clark of Portland tickets are hard to find. I only have the one and it has a tear, top middle, so I'm looking for another copy.

I just love the artwork on these tickets! The company that made the Columbian Exposition tickets, for the most part, was the American Bank Note Company and everyone knows the quality of work they did and it's no different on the tickets.

Allow me to present my Exposition tickets, major face different fronts only but the backs are impressive too.

The 1876 Centennial Exposition;

The 1893 Worlds Columbian Exposition:

1901 Pan-American;

1904 Lewis & Clark;

There are still several tickets from the Pan-American Exposition that I am looking for such as the;
Childs
Dedication Day
Farewell Day
Rail Road Day
Employee
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (The exact & entire wording of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution)
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 06/04/2011   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful things..each one better than one before !!
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 06/04/2011   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous! I might think of branching out sometime but I had better finish one before starting another costly adventure! LOL
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 06/04/2011   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add marko1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nice collections folks
Rest in Peace
United States
1225 Posts
Posted 06/06/2011   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add artlaunier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ron,

I didn't mean to ignore the exposition labels. I don't know a lot about those, except they are not usually found for sale. When they are, its usually a couple of bucks. They may be worth more but I don't know. I just got a 1904 MH Pan-Am label for $1.00 plus shipping. The fact that its a label vs a stamp make a big difference and the fact that is little reference material concerning labels.

Art
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 06/06/2011   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately I don't own this one, but found it when web surfing recently about the 1901 Pan Am Expo. I assume this must have been one of President's McKinley's last quotes given that he was shot the next day:

Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 86 / Views: 17,012Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 5.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05