Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Latvia Map On Reverse Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 5,866Next Topic
Page: of 2
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 08/06/2011   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BeeSee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just got these, they are the first 2 stamps of Latvia, as listed in Scott - printed on the back of maps. They were issued Dec 18, 1918.

Send note to Staff
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Edited by BeeSee - 08/06/2011 11:04 am

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5020 Posts
Posted 08/06/2011   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice ones BeeSee, thanks for showing them. These stamps
printed on maps are frequently included when stamp printing oddities
are discussed.

I think the whole Baltic area collecting field is most interesting,
mainly pre-WWII not post Communist.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Netherlands
249 Posts
Posted 08/06/2011   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tinus_NL to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice. :)

I got one of the Republic of Central Lithuania, or Middle Lithuania, a political entity from 1920-22 existing around the area of Vilnius. Interesting stuff for sure.
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
Posted 08/06/2011   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatelic Pfool to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm looking at my imperf. and I seee town names of Waldau, Nagle and Meshanaten.

I always wanted to get more and see if any could be matched up like a puzzle.

PP
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
737 Posts
Posted 08/06/2011   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ryan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's an interesting booklet available from Barefoot (famous as a revenue catalogue publisher) dealing with these nifty Latvian stamps. According to the booklet, there are 65 different German military maps that have been found on these issues. They come from an original portfolio of 467 different maps, covering most of Poland, most of Latvia, part of Estonia and all of Lithuania.

Ryan

Pillar Of The Community
1442 Posts
Posted 08/06/2011   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating.
Is there a general reference to the countries/issues where the stamps were printed on the back of "old" maps?

Jim Jackson
Note to Tinus NL: I like your avatar. ;-)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5796 Posts
Posted 08/06/2011   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In theory, single-color maps are rarer than the two-color maps, and just to confuse things, no-visible-map might still be from the map's margin. Or it might just be printed on regular paper.
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 08/24/2011   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can anyone I.D. this Latvia map stamp overprinted "Riga"?

It is on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/250877850396

The seller describes it as: Latvia Latwija LETTLAND OVP. 'riga' map on back. fake?
BeeSee in BC
Edited by BeeSee - 08/24/2011 12:56 pm
Valued Member
Estonia
111 Posts
Posted 08/24/2011   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add joelkuiv to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Doesn't look fake
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 08/24/2011   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Joel! I guess it looks more like a postmark rather than an overprint.
BeeSee in BC
Valued Member
Estonia
111 Posts
Posted 08/25/2011   12:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add joelkuiv to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There should be 2 types of Riga overprints. One is what is on the picture and the other is a little smaller with different font. If anyone wants a picture of the other version then let me know.
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
Posted 08/25/2011   01:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kmncd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BeeSee,I guess you got these last week on eBay?Cause I was bidding on them also,just not very heavily ,yeah these are cool ones with maps on the back.
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
Posted 08/25/2011   01:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kmncd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh by the way,I wonder how amazing it would be to collect bunch of these and try to puzzle back the maps,I wonder if anyone ever did,if so it would be quite and accomplishment...
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 08/25/2011   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kmncd, I did not bid, I was "watching". I did not know the status of the handstamp, but now I think I will go for one or two
BeeSee in BC
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 08/25/2011   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another sweet block - it shows the map edge with some stamps without the map.

BeeSee in BC
Edited by BeeSee - 08/25/2011 11:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5796 Posts
Posted 08/25/2011   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If anyone hasn't seen this site yet, it is worth clicking through as an explanation of the maps used:
http://www.apsit.com/mapsused.htm

Bee's scan is identified, and the link at the bottom of the page, to the "map types" page, explains exactly what is meant by a Type Ia map.

Fascinating stuff.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 5,866Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 17.72 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05