Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Philatelic Congress Of GB, 1936 To 1952

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 5,496Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United Kingdom
81 Posts
Posted 08/21/2011   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add crwhb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Following on from the excellent topic on Congresses and Exhibitions by James, I thought that I would post part of my Philatelic Congress of Great Britain collection. I have a particular interest in the reign of George VI so am limiting this post to the years 1936 (technically Edward VIII) to 1952. I have some gaps in the sequence and for some years I am not sure just what exists. The PCGB moved round the country each year, hosted by various Philatelic Societies. I will do a separate post for each year so start here with 1936. Chris Wren

The 1936, 23rd annual Philatelic Congress of Great Britain was held at Paignton, Devon. There was a special handstamp for this year but I have not seen a printed cover. Stamps of various designs were issued in at least blue and red colours but I have yet to acquire full sets/sheets for these.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United Kingdom
81 Posts
Posted 08/21/2011   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crwhb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1937, 24th PCGB was held at Folkestone, Kent, from 8th to 11th June. A printed cover, showing a paddle steamer of 1848 with oval handstamp for each day was issued, along with sheets of 12 stamps (in red, black, green and blue colours) printed by Harrison and Sons Ltd, priced at one shilling per sheet. At least some sheets were also issued overprinted in red 'First Day', 'Second Day' and 'Third Day', as illustrated and presumably relating to the event days. The congress extended over four days so a 'Fourth Day' could exist.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
81 Posts
Posted 08/21/2011   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crwhb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1938, 25th PCGB was held at Cambridge from 21st to 24th June. A printed cover, showing a view of the city with hexagonal handstamp for each day was issued, along with sheets of 12 stamps, printed by Harrison and Sons Ltd (in red, grey, blue and purple colours), priced at one shilling per sheet and with a folded card sleeve giving descriptions for each of the stamp designs.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
81 Posts
Posted 08/21/2011   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crwhb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1939, 26th PCGB was held at Liverpool from 13th to16th June. A special cover showing Neptune viewing Liverpool with circular handstamp for each day was issued, along with sheets of 12 stamps, printed by Harrison and Sons Ltd (in red, grey, blue and green), priced at one shilling per sheet and with a folded card sleeve giving descriptions for each design. A set of postcards, depicting groups of historic Liverpool cancellations (with Neptune on the reverse) was also issued. I have three different of these but do not know if there might be more in the set.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
81 Posts
Posted 08/21/2011   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crwhb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1940, 27th PCGB was held at Bournemouth from 3rd to 6th May, sponsored by the Postal History Society (coinciding with the centenary of the 1d black of 6th May 1840). The only printed cover I have seen for this PCGB is the PHS cover (often used as an FDC for the commemorative 6 value set, issued 6th May), a circular handstamp was used for each day. Labels (printed by?), on gummed paper, were issued depicting the 1840 1d black and 2d blue (these are often seen cut out and affixed to various covers). A stapled booklet of 6 gummed sheets depicting historic London cancellations (2 or 3 per sheet) was also issued.

https://i1189.photobucket
Valued Member
United Kingdom
81 Posts
After a gap during the War years, the 1946, 28th PCGB was held at Brighton from 14th to 17th May. A special cover (in various shades of blue) depicting the Brighton Pavillion was issued, with circular handstamp for each day. A sheet of 4 stamps by Harrison and Sons was issued (I have this in purple but do not know if it came in other colours), with a card sleeve describing the designs.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
81 Posts
Posted 08/21/2011   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crwhb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1947, 29th PCGB was held at Birmingham from 9th to 12th September. A special cover was issued, with circular handstamp for each day. Sheets of 4 stamps, printed by Waterlow and Sons Ltd (in red, black, blue and green, all within black frames) were issued, with a card sleeve describing the designs.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
81 Posts
Posted 08/21/2011   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crwhb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1948, 30th PCGB was held at Bournemouth from 25th to 28th May. A special cover (I have only seen this printed in blue) was issued, with circular handstamp for each day. Sheets 4 stamps, printed by Harrison and Sons Ltd (in pink, brown, blue and green colours) were issued with a card sleeve describing the designs.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
81 Posts
The 1949, 31st PCGB was held at Manchester from 24th to 26th May. Special covers depicting a Mulready design (printed in at least black, brown and blue colours) were issued with circular and maltese cross handstamp for each day. I have not yet seen any stamps for this PCGB.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
81 Posts
Posted 08/21/2011   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crwhb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1950, 32nd PCGB was held at Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent from 16th to 19th May. Special covers depicting The Pantiles (in at least orange, green and blue colours) were issued, with circular handstamp for each day. I have seen no stamps for this PCGB.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
81 Posts
Posted 08/21/2011   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crwhb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1951, 33rd PCGB was held at Felixstowe, Suffolk from 29th May to 1st June. Special covers depicting and ancient house in Ipswich (printed in at least blue and green colours) were issued with circular handstamp for each day. I have seen no stamps for this PCGB.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
81 Posts
The 1952, 34th PCGB was held at Southampton from 20th to 24th May. Special covers depicting ships (printed in blue, red, green and black) were issued with circular handstamp for each day. I have seen no stamps for this PCGB.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
81 Posts
Posted 08/21/2011   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crwhb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having got that little lot posted, I would be particularly pleased to hear of anything not represented here... Chris Wren
Valued Member
United Kingdom
81 Posts
Posted 08/21/2011   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crwhb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a similar selection for the London Stamp Exhibitions plus related things of this same period which I will post later, as a separate topic. Chris Wren
Valued Member
United Kingdom
81 Posts
Posted 08/21/2011   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crwhb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For some reason, the 1940, 27th PCGB image for the booklet of historic London postmarks did not transfer, so I repeat it here:
Pillar Of The Community
2185 Posts
Posted 08/21/2011   10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A most interesting and very well documented thread. Congratulations! I'm sorry not to be able to add nothing to it.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 5,496Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05