Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Maximaphily (Maximum Cards)  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
Italy
60 Posts
Posted 10/03/2016   03:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add colforsal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
no, I'm sorry
at the moment I only have the ones I posted here. No double.
Maxicards not part of my collection of priority.
I would consider the possibility of exchanging them for postcards (postal stationery) that interest me
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
346 Posts
Posted 10/07/2016   12:37 pm  Show Profile Check mcgeesorg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add mcgeesorg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It has always fascinated me how constraining the governing body's definition is. For instance, here are a few cards I've prepared over the years that do not qualify:

This fails to meet the requirement "All postcards fully reproducing the postage stamp, that is to say with perforation, face value, country name, are forbidden."

This fails to meet the requirement "Only one postage stamp should be affixed on the view
side of the picture postcard."

This fails to meet the constraint "The following items cannot be used for maximum cards: cut-outs ", because I cut it from a greeting card:

In my opinion, SCF's own Dorin has done, and continues to do, more to advance the hobby (by encouraging a looser definition than that of the governing body) than perhaps anyone else.

Edited by mcgeesorg - 10/07/2016 12:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 10/07/2016   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mcgeesorg's post begs the question of whether/not the governing body's definition has much of an impact on the specialty.

Yes, they will govern exhibiting, but do they govern behavior?

Q/ Do you happily create maxicards that do not meet the standard?

Q/ Do you acquire & retain maxicards that do not meet the standard?

Q/ Would you pay a premium for a compliant card when a suitable-to-you non-compliant card was immediately available? 50% more? Double the price?

Q/ Do you most often purchase individual cards in the after-market, in accumulations, by subscription thru a ostal agency or dealer ...

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 10/11/2016   11:52 pm  Show Profile Check DC3's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DC3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Joshua said:
"In my opinion, SCF's own Dorin has done, and continues to do, more to advance the hobby (by encouraging a looser definition than that of the governing body) than perhaps anyone else."

Thanks, Joshua!

Let's also specify that Joshua said LOOSER, not LOSER.
The goal of maximaphily is (or should be) to enjoy this hobby, as YOU see fit. We don't simplistically have winners (of philatelic exposition medals - just very few people, worldwide), and losers (pretty much the vast majority of maximaphilists, who are not even trying to get a medal...). We have philatelists/stamp collectors who like maximaphily, in whatever manner they prefer.

I wrote this on many websites:

"Maximaphily is a branch of philately, or stamp collecting, that means collecting maximum cards.
I do NOT make a strict distinction between Philately and Stamp Collecting, despite "academic belief" that there is. I'll detail that in another post.
Generally, a maximum card is a postcard, with a stamp and a postmark on the picture side. Ideally, all these 3 elements should be concordant, but not identical.
Anybody can collect them, just like collecting simple stamps. But that's too passive.
The fun and challenge are in CREATING YOUR OWN maximum cards! Then you can exchange some with partners/friends from around the world!
I do that, and it's very interesting! :)

The traditional way is to comply with the rules of FIP (International Philatelic Federation). http://www.maximaphily.info/
The non-traditional way, as I call it, is to follow nobody's rules! Unless YOU want it, of course.
I call DORINCARD (you can call it any way YOU want) any postcard that was personalized by adding a stamp and a postmark, on the picture side of the postcard. Traditional way, or not. :) Calling it with such a custom name can quickly pacify the purists and hardliners who might say, otherwise: "It's not a true maximum card!". Well, it may or may not be a true maxicard (even the purists don't always agree on the rules interpretations), but it can always fit your CUSTOM definition and name."

Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 10/11/2016   11:55 pm  Show Profile Check DC3's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DC3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 10/12/2016   12:05 am  Show Profile Check DC3's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DC3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 10/12/2016   12:18 am  Show Profile Check DC3's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DC3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikeyPikey, very good questions!

In general, I prefer to create or get a traditional version of a maxicard, unless I want to experiment or I just don't have all the elements necessary for a traditional version. Basically, I have an open mind, accepting whatever pleases me, under the circumstances. So should everybody else: collect whatever makes you happy!

Awesome maxicard created by a Swiss maximaphilist. I just HAD TO buy it; it's more than a maxicard. I could write a few essays about it, in various styles :

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
346 Posts
Posted 10/18/2016   10:27 am  Show Profile Check mcgeesorg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add mcgeesorg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I sent this maximum card for servicing and received it back yesterday. I had it postmarked in Moab, Utah, the nearest city to Arches National Park, in the year 2016 (the centennial year of the United States National Park service).

This particular park, featuring the highest density of natural stone arches in the world, was established on April 12, 1929, as a National Monument. It was redesignated "National Park" on November 12, 1971.

Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
873 Posts
Posted 12/03/2016   7:54 pm  Show Profile Check Bas S Warwick's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lichtenstein Bridge Maxi-card 6th March 2006 with 2006 EUROPA Stamp - Integration of Immigrants as Seen by Young People

Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 12/03/2016   8:41 pm  Show Profile Check DC3's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DC3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like it, and I get its message. But the traditional maximaphilists would object that the concordance of place is inexistent for this bridge maxicard. The stamp is an abstract idea, a depiction of a concept of a bridge as a symbol.

Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
873 Posts
Posted 12/04/2016   12:27 am  Show Profile Check Bas S Warwick's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DC3. Yes, agree, although the rear states 'Carte Maximum Officielle'.

So, it does appear to be an official release. The printing on the rear mentions the stamp title, and the postmark is the correct issue date. However, I have been unable to find any Europa/Liechtenstein Maxicard information by Google search.

The Maxicard is numbered MK251. Europa / Die Integration der Einwanderar aus Sicht der Jugend.
Brucke
Foto: Bruno De Boni, Schaan

Also, no mention of where the bridge is located.

Edited by Bas S Warwick - 12/04/2016 12:29 am
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 12/04/2016   02:32 am  Show Profile Check DC3's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DC3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Edited by DC3 - 12/04/2016 02:52 am
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 12/04/2016   02:37 am  Show Profile Check DC3's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DC3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like I said, there is no concordance of geographic place, and the stamp is about an abstract idea, a virtual "bridge" between humans. The traditional maximaphily rules currently are not that open-minded to accept abstractions. How about you?

Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
873 Posts
Posted 12/04/2016   02:47 am  Show Profile Check Bas S Warwick's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DC3. Thanks for discovering the bridge - appreciated.

I tend not to concern myself with FIP rules because I buy what personally attracts me. If I was to exhibit then I would have to comply with the rules.

Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
873 Posts
Posted 12/04/2016   03:07 am  Show Profile Check Bas S Warwick's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DC3 - I should have mentioned before. Your maxicard of the Mount Pilatus cog railway in Lucern, Switzerland is stunning. As a collector of funicular and cog railway PCs I really appreciated that card.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Full Iran sheet you won't see very often
  My Australian Oddities
  Help identifying a Scott 499 or 500?
  Papua and New Guinea : On Steiner Pages.
  Now this is one seriously red stamp
  I wonder if this item is never hinged?
  Things you Probably Won't Find at Dealer Tables
  Very rare set of the 1949-50 Coat of Arms
  What is normal practice for reopening lots in a live auction?
  Precancel prices vs. Scott
  Is this considered offset on back of this stamp..?
  Scott 498 - different colours..??
  Minnesota Stamp Expo
  Advertising Pages from 1907 Scott
  Morocco Page not Usually seen in Big Blue
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Total eclipse scott number
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Question Regarding Color of GB Scott 98

Full Iran sheet you won't see very often
  My Australian Oddities
  Double print or over inked or printed on the gummed side ?
  Help identifying a Scott 499 or 500?
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  Precancel prices vs. Scott
  Regency Stamp Auctions in St. Louis
  Science-Fiction/Fantasy Stamps
  Things you Probably Won't Find at Dealer Tables
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  Something strange on the back of this pair of revenue stamps
  italy stamp imperf 1862-63 is this type I or type II,please help me identify?
  Help ID Australian 4d Orange, Scott 31
  What is normal practice for reopening lots in a live auction?
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  What you like to see on US Stamps that has not been done yet
  Advertising Pages from 1907 Scott
  Which stamp do you wish having that you don't have?
  Papua and New Guinea : On Steiner Pages.
  Is this considered offset on back of this stamp..?
  Mounting Stamps
  Now this is one seriously red stamp
  Stamp Pricing Books and Websites
  Automatic Supplements
  I wonder if this item is never hinged?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.84 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05