Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

France Cancellations - Show And Tell

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 147 / Views: 29,728Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5777 Posts
Posted 06/03/2017   09:28 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not focused on cancellations, but some attractive French material in the first sixty-odd pages of the current Yvert sales catalogue

http://www.yvert.com/pdf/Vente-Pres...062017-PHILA
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
France
24 Posts
Posted 06/03/2017   10:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Derwins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Was this cancel applied in a quay-side facility in the French port prior to departure - onboard a mail steamer enroute from France to Italy - or upon arrival in the Italian port of call?
For 99,9 % ,it's onboard à steamer From France to italy . Sometime and rarely you can find a french post departure cancellation if its a coopérative way with the french post and the steamer compagnie . (right and same Time to go )

I said there is an another mistake in previous post , its about the pré canceled , but its so difficult to explain with the right words , that I need Time to translate exactly what it has to be ( ou un parfait bilingue .)
Edited by Derwins - 06/03/2017 10:32 am
Pillar Of The Community
Norway
1661 Posts
Posted 06/03/2017   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For 99,9 % ,it's onboard à steamer From France to Italy

Thanks Derwins - I thought so, good to have it confirmed

It's easy to tell you are deep into French postmarks - collecting the different ambulant and Paris Stars etc. May I ask if you also collect different PC or GC postmarks?
Pillar Of The Community
Norway
1661 Posts
Posted 06/03/2017   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff - I could spot "a few" attractive items ...
Valued Member
France
24 Posts
Posted 06/03/2017   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Derwins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe one day ... But collecting Pc and GC is something still endless , (dont Forget the
Pc From GC Too ) ...
I start my collection two years ago. I start numbers alter numbers..From 1849 to 1988 ...(after , french stamps looks Like panini stikers ,or collecting football pictures and loose her soul )
Then I Start collecting " les usages courant" , the usual séries ..stamps that we're pasting without looking them .
And because of historic aspect , all about the 1870/1871 war , and also ww2 résistance and libération stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Norway
1661 Posts
Posted 06/03/2017   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
collecting Pc and GC is something still endless

Ha ha, yes - it might seem so. I started collecting them a few years back, and have only about 600 different, so still missing another approx 9500. However - I have no intention of completion, that's probably impossible anyway. My goal is the enjoyment - and the enjoyment is at its best with the combination of beautiful classic French stamps and interesting postmarks. Highly recommended

Quote:
From 1849 to 1988 ...(after , french stamps looks Like panini stikers ,or collecting football pictures and loose her soul

- Unfortunately.... and same goes for so many other countries as well.

Good to see you are into "les usages courant". Your are in good company - you will find that many folks in here look at these 'workhorses' in closest details. And the cancellations on them

Valued Member
161 Posts
Posted 01/02/2018   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mount-this to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm looking for info on this cancel. It looks like "2046 D". I've seen other numeral cancels with a smaller letter underneath, and I've been wondering what the letter signifies. Any info is appreciated. Thank you.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3084 Posts
Posted 01/02/2018   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mount-this,

These letters were used to distinguish different post offices in the same town.

This one is from the Place St Martin office in Lille.

Here's a list from the French Wikipedia:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste...ros_Chiffres

Nigel
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 01/03/2018   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhdijkstra to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah .. what a fun thread! I learned a quite a bit reading through these pages.

Let me add a few of mine:

A postcard sent to Israel from a French Post Office in the Ottoman Empire (Constantinople) - 1891:

Ardenne Cancel - 1894:

A postcard from Turkey to the USA using a French "Levant" stamp (French Post Office in the Ottoman Empire) - 1909:

A telegram - 1889:

Enjoy!
Valued Member
161 Posts
Posted 01/03/2018   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mount-this to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nigelc, thanks for the reply. I knew I could count on someone to have an answer. Thanks!
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
Posted 02/09/2019   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

My camera is buggered and I must reset it, but this picture from the web shows the design on my French stamp, however, my stamp is imperf with a different postmark, 2 (cent mark) "Postes" at the bottom and tan like the 4 c in the picture.
What year and Scott number is it?https://www.freestampcatalogue.com/...frp0088v.jpg
Edited by Louise411 - 02/09/2019 5:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5777 Posts
Posted 02/09/2019   7:04 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the "Blanc" type. The examples in the link are pre-cancels. Are you sure that yours isn't a cut-out from postal stationery?
Edited by GeoffHa - 02/09/2019 7:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
France
1876 Posts
Posted 02/09/2019   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe this one (newspaper wrap) ?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3724 Posts
Posted 02/24/2019   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Way back on page 1, AnthonyUK showed an example with the explanation, "Some newspapers had a stamp on the paper before printing, so became overprinted with the news." I picked up a small packet and did a quick search to find this interesting piece of information. Here are the examples in that packet.
Valued Member
Brazil
71 Posts
Posted 02/26/2019   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjac76 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello!

Here some french cancels on classic brazilian stamps.
We call it an accidental cancel. Very rare!

Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 147 / Views: 29,728Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05