Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada : Brian Mulroney GST Cinderellas.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 3,523Next Topic  
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35866 Posts
Posted 01/20/2012   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone recognise these gentlemen?

Send note to Staff
Edited by rod222 - 01/20/2012 05:48 am

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
544 Posts
Posted 01/20/2012   01:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alanl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are Canadians. That`s PM Brian Mulroney on the left.
I don`t know who the finance minister is.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1758 Posts
Posted 01/20/2012   04:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like Michael Wilson,Minister of Finance. They introduced a GST into Canada.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35866 Posts
Posted 01/20/2012   05:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you to the SCF Intelligentsia!
What a knowledgeable mob you are.

Thanks.
I'll put it over for CindyCan in Canadian Cinderellas.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35866 Posts
Posted 01/20/2012   05:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wiki:

Martin Brian Mulroney, PC, CC, GOQ (born March 20, 1939) was the 18th Prime Minister of Canada from September 17, 1984, to June 25, 1993 and was leader of the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada from 1983 to 1993. His tenure as Prime Minister was marked by the introduction of major economic reforms, such as the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement and the Goods and Services Tax, and the rejection of constitutional reforms such as the Meech Lake Accord and the Charlottetown Accord. Prior to his political career, he was a prominent lawyer and businessman in Montreal.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 01/20/2012   08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
They're baaaack.

edit. Ok, let me clarify. Mr Mulroney was one of the most polarizing PMs we've had in a long time. Besides the GST (don't get me wrong, taxes are necessary to keep a society running. But these taxes on everyday items were a very expensive and difficult a pill to swallow) his government also introduced Free Trade, which cost a lot of Canadians their jobs, opened Canadian resources to pillage (my opinion of course) and helped contribute to the cheap labour and crime in the northern border area (the mequiladora region) of Mexico.
But I'm not bitter.
Edited by jamesw - 01/20/2012 08:19 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2277 Posts
Posted 01/20/2012   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nitrolures to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had the same reaction looking at those two mugs. Have to admit if either were to be on a stamp at least the slogan is correct. The pair would have to go down as the most disliked in my 43 yrs. Although sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't. With a deep gulp I would safely say if they were mine they would be shipped away (likely end up where they are at now) but I don't think I have any room for those 2.
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 01/20/2012   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But these taxes on everyday items were a very expensive and difficult a pill to swallow

Absolutely. And the subsequent Liberal government NOTHING to eliminate it
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Valued Member
Canada
347 Posts
Posted 01/20/2012   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add petermac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Michael Wilson was subsequently the Canadian Ambassador to the USA. His term ended in 2009.

Valued Member
160 Posts
Posted 01/24/2012   02:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CindyCan2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"The Goods and Services Tax (GST) was implemented in Canada on January 1st, 1991, to replace an existing manufacturer's tax by a consumer tax, with the notion that manufacturers would be able to lower their overall prices, and compete better in the international marketplace. In the run-up to its introduction, there was vigorous opposition to the tax, especially the new provision that books would be subject to the levy. The Canadian Periodical Publishers' Association (CPPA) was particularly worried that the added 7% would result in lower subscriptions for their magazines. A set of 2 stamps protesting the tax on books featured photos of Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney (pink), and Finance Minister Michael Wilson (blue) with the slogan "Hi! I tax books". Mulroney retired a few months before his Conservative government was reduced to 2 seats in the subsequent federal election, in part because of the animosity toward the GST."
from Field Guide to the Cinderella Stamps of Canada (used by permission).
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35866 Posts
Posted 01/24/2012   04:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for the information,
sorry to engender bad memories guys :(

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 3,523Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05