Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp Restoration

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1539 Posts
Posted 09/06/2008   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mkfarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I guess most true collectors would say that stamp restoration destroys a stamp. I have seen that there are strong feelings on both sides though. I do know that the APS insists that repaired and restored stamps must be identified with indelible ink.

I like the idea of restored stamps because it keeps people like me in the market for some of these stamps. I get a better looking stamp at a much lower price.If there wasn't a way to have these stamps repaired and restored I wouldn't be able to build some of the older issues into my collection. However I don't want the stamp marked, that takes away from the restoration.

They can do great things with these older damaged stamps like correcting thins, adding missing corners and even adding paper to reperf a stamp. In the end you have a stamp that pretty much looks like the original just from the printer.

I don't worry about trying to pass it off as a non repaired stamp because anyone who plays in this price level can spot a restored stamp pretty quickly in person.

But for me since I'm not building for investment it ma be the answer for those more expensive stamps.

In any event here is a link to see what a good restoration service can do, though they are closed for personal issues right now. But their web site gives a lot of in site into stamp restoration and repair.

http://home.golden.net/~hanssitt/SR...SRShome.html

Send note to Staff
Edited by mkfarm - 09/06/2008 8:44 pm

Pillar Of The Community
USA
1881 Posts
Posted 09/06/2008   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nr-notrare to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello mk....

I see nothing wrong with repaired stamps as long as all parties involved understand the true condition of the item.

The problem is that eventually they end up back on the market.....not always with full disclosure...sometimes intentionally....sometimes unknowingly....either way the new buyer gets something less than what they thought they were getting and they may or may not be able to recognise any repairs. I've purchased a number of collections that contained repaired and re-gummed items that the seller/collector was not aware of.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 09/06/2008   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think notrare is right. I don't have any problem at all with repaired/reconditioned/recombobulated stamps as long as they are distinctly labeled and sold as such. It's probably the only way I'll ever have some of the German stamps. I even have a fake of a $15,000 stamp in my album. It is labeled as such. (P.S. - It's funny, but the fake it worth $100 on it's own!)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1947 Posts
Posted 09/07/2008   05:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
perhaps the indication of restoration could be placed on the back of the stamp. I agree with mkfarm about not wanting to have the indication of repair visible as a stamp sits in the album.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3724 Posts
Posted 09/07/2008   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I Didn't know they actually "repaired stamps".

Just goes to show how little I really know.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Pillar Of The Community
United States
914 Posts
Posted 09/07/2008   07:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rlorenz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Tom , Greg, and Rohumpy I have no problem with repaired stamps as long as it is indicated some where. I would purchase some to fill holes if needed, Marking the back to indicate a repair would be OK in my book and only fair in the long run for the resale market. I have never tried to "fix" or repair a stamp I think I would only make a problem worse
rick l
APS# 214326, I.S.G.C.# 979
Edited by rlorenz - 09/07/2008 07:49 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1539 Posts
Posted 09/07/2008   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have another question why should a repaired stamp have less value?

I'm not talking about an alteration such as getting rid of a cancellation and adding gum to pass the stamp as a MNH. Being dishonest for the point of profit, such as taking off perfs and such is not what I am talking about. These should be considered as alterations or fakes.

I think if the stamp has a certificate showing the condition along with a photo prior and after restoration there should be some consideration of treating the value the same as the original. At least there should not be such a large gap. After all you have the original stamp and the only difference is that it has been reconditioned back to its original form.

I know this is a gray area but one that I thought would be an interesting discussion.

While the market place would be the real judge of value I don't think the stamp should be listed as altered as long as only the original condition of the stamp was restored.

While it would be hard to enforce a restored stamp could be conditioned, for example without the pre-restoration certificate and the post - restoration certificate the stamp value would be very minimal because there would be no proof that the stamp was in fact altered.

However with both certificates the stamp should be deemed original. Of course the market place would set the value of the stamp but the stamp would hold the status of the original.

Pillar Of The Community
USA
1881 Posts
Posted 09/07/2008   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nr-notrare to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello mk........

The simple answer is that original condition has value....alterations of any kind essentially constitute damage.

Just because it looks pretty, it does not mean they are anywhere near equal.

" because there would be no proof that the stamp was in fact altered"

All alterations are detectable.

"However with both certificates the stamp should be deemed original"

Only original is original.

Others may disagree but, consider that one is a postal issue...one is a creation by an individual.

Pillar Of The Community
USA
2470 Posts
Posted 09/07/2008   3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why not consider a more honest line of work, such as restoring old automobiles.

And along that line, why can't stamps be customized? Why settle for stock models?

Restored and customized cars are worth MORE, not less!
Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1539 Posts
Posted 09/07/2008   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well it still is original that fact can't change though the condition can be brought back to full glory.

At one time the value of a stamp was the same no matter if it was hinged and mint or MNH. I'm not why the changed happened maybe a dealer or group of dealers wanted a way to create a new niche that would bring higher dollars. In any event they found the buyers thus the difference in value started.

I doubt the collectors world is ready at this time but I do see a day when restoration may command higher prices. It just takes a shortage of great specimen of stamps to open the door for restorations to become an acceptable stamp without the footnote.

Pillar Of The Community
USA
1881 Posts
Posted 09/07/2008   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nr-notrare to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mk....

Alterations of any kind constitute damage.....additional damage does not make a thing better.

If it is altered...it is not original.

It seems to me that you are confusing appearance with condition.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05