Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ihs : Lottery : Some Bonnie Irish Lassies......

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 2,820Next Topic  
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 08/14/2012   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Victor Kiam said once,
"I liked the shaver so much, I bought the company"

Well, I liked the Cinderella so much...........

Send note to Staff
Edited by rod222 - 08/14/2012 5:48 pm

Pillar Of The Community
USA
646 Posts
Posted 08/14/2012   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuhli to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
somewhere or another, I have some of these. just need to dig them out and get them scanned. along with some other interesting pieces of postal history involving the IHS.

these labels were issued by the Irish Hospital Sweepstakes in the mid-30's, to promote their lottery. the name/address at the bottom of the pane actually has nothing to do with the labels, as they were "authorized agents" to accept the moneys and depot slips sent in from abroad. (the lottery was illegal in most countries, so you couldn't just mail it in to the IHS headquarters).

another tidbit of info on these - not sure how it was done, but the placement of the girls were random on the sheets. (for example, on Rods sheet above, the nurse in the top left corner might be found on the far right of the 2nd row on another sheet)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6509 Posts
Posted 08/14/2012   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are great Rod! I can see what attracted you to them.
The stern looking nurse certainly seems out of place amongst the fancy dress of the others, until I was able to read (with difficulty) at the top that she, the bride and Colleen, were exceptions to the traditional fancy dress rule.
Very nice.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 08/14/2012   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought this was about dogs (Lassies).

They are beautufil lasses.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 08/14/2012   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers all,
I felt a bit guilty, was outside my collecting target
Ireland, bit of an impulse buy,
but then I realised I could fit it into my "lotteries" thematic,

Thanks for the subsidiary info Kuhli.

Pillar Of The Community
USA
646 Posts
Posted 08/14/2012   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuhli to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

rod222 wrote:

there are those who would cringe at seeing this image, Rod. the French lottery stamps are only found attached to the lottery tickets (the "control number" stamped onto your stamps correspond to the lottery ticket number).

yes, I used to collect French lottery tickets, too. as a matter of fact, I think I still have a few stragglers floating around. will add that to my scavenger hunt list.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
646 Posts
Posted 08/14/2012   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuhli to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
a few of your Irish lasses on the actual IHS tickets.

should I go on?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 08/14/2012   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kuhli,
Now I am REALLY glad I bought that Minisheet!
guess who will be eBay hunting... :)

To all those I offended, some de-cringing copies for you
(not mine, I lost them in an SCF auction / sale)

Edited by rod222 - 08/14/2012 6:24 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 08/14/2012   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Smauggie, I am a huge fan of Van Morrison,
it shall always be an Irish lassie to me :)
Valued Member
Bahamas
404 Posts
Posted 08/14/2012   9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tefloncinco to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was looking for dogs ,this turned out to be very interesting ,they are unique and beyond me ,but the info recieved is well worth reading and gaining some kind of gainful knowledge of something new
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 08/14/2012   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of Dog threads on SCF Teflon...... :)

Grrrrufff!

Valued Member
Bahamas
404 Posts
Posted 08/14/2012   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tefloncinco to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just so cool.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
646 Posts
Posted 08/14/2012   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuhli to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

To all those I offended, some de-cringing copies for you
(not mine, I lost them in an SCF auction / sale)

Rod,

funny you should post those particular French tickets. they were mine, at one time. I posted the pictures here, to spark some conversation about the "stamp" labels attached. they were indeed eventually sold via delCampe (or here, possibly, I do not remember).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1218 Posts
Posted 04/05/2020   04:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Silver Jubilee Souvenir sheet:
An impulse purchase after viewing and reading this excellent post.
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6509 Posts
Posted 04/05/2020   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thought I'd shown these before, but I could be wrong. It's all a blur!

...and back

Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 2,820Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05