Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Montenegro _gov't In Exile And Bogus Stamps_ukraine

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 2,728Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
Posted 09/29/2012   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Art Strohmeier to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would appreciate if you would view the following:
Page one and two were previously identified as 'Bogus' /Epicurus.
1. Is there a source to identify values? (I'm assuming that where it fits into a collection is a collector choice?)
2. The First stamp on the first row of the 'Unidentified' is probably not a valid stamp (see next graphic of back side). Do you agree?.
3. What is the country for the stamps in the second sheet, first row (more_bogus) , (which is also the same as the second row of the unidentied' sheet.) Are those stamps in the 'unidentified (black background) bogus as well? They appear so to me as they are a little faded.
4. What is the country from where the stamps in the last two rows of the 'unidentified' originate? If the source is 'michels' or any other cat. than scotts detail your help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Art

Send note to Staff
Edited by Art Strohmeier - 09/29/2012 8:54 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 09/29/2012   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add new12collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The second and some of the ones in the third scan (row 2, 1-4) are from the ukraine- an unissued set of 14 different I think. I believe that the overprint was meant a semi postal maybe??? Or was it privately overprinted... I remember reading about it somewhere. I think it was maybe a privately issued overprint aiding some organization...

Edit... According to my indenifier book it's a bogus overprint... So I was wrong again. Oh well.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by new12collector - 09/29/2012 6:25 pm
Valued Member
Canada
449 Posts
Posted 09/29/2012   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Minesweeper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know anything about those stamps, but one thing is sure, they are not Canadian Stamps or Covers.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31649 Posts
Posted 09/29/2012   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
http://goscf.com/t/18626

It would be helpful, if you considered changing your
thread title to something pertinent
choose one subject perhaps.

something like Montenegro : Govt in Exile labels.

Montenegro
printed 1921 circa but not issued

Acknowledgement Blair RCSD

Edited by rod222 - 09/29/2012 6:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 09/29/2012   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add new12collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The last stamp on the 3rd scan is "montenegro- goverment in exile acknowledgement of receipt stamp"
Pillar Of The Community
USA
646 Posts
Posted 09/29/2012   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuhli to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
second scan, row #2, stamp #5 (brown 1 din) is listed under Yugoslavia, postage due. different printings and different perforations have different catalog numbers, but it is there, somewhere.
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
Posted 09/29/2012   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Art Strohmeier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for your speedy responses; I thought Montenegro based on the heading which matched the examples in the back of scotts, but couln't find a matching illustration. Re the 'unidentified' Montenegro,(second row of third scan) bogus or real? and your thoughts on the first two of the unidentified (third scan.) I was told the first was not for postal use, but would appreciate a second opinion.
As to the other comments:
re the identification, specific subject, good point. Thank you. Re the 'Canada' link, sorry, I'm still having software navigation/familiarity issues. But I'm learning something new every day. Thanks again for all your help. Re the title change - mission accomplished.
Is there some way to change the link?
Edited by Art Strohmeier - 09/29/2012 8:52 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31649 Posts
Posted 09/30/2012   12:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pat yourself on the back Art.
You have improved the SCF library.
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
Posted 09/30/2012   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Art Strohmeier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And you have improved my library. Thanks for the compliment and for your good works.
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
Posted 09/30/2012   01:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Art Strohmeier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Minesweeper:
Please see the my latest post in the Canadian thread on the Wilno Polish Eagle.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Art
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3056 Posts
Posted 09/30/2012   04:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't call the Ukraine pictorial set "bogus" as they were ordered by the Petlyura government but unfortunately for them by the time the stamps were ready they no longer controlled any Ukrainian territory and had retreated with the Polish army into Poland. Simon Petlyura appears on the 40 hrivna stamp in the scan.

I understand that the Montenegro issue was speculative and probably deserves to be called "bogus" (unlike the earlier issues from Bordeaux where there was a government-in-exile for a time).
Nigel
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
Posted 09/30/2012   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Art Strohmeier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nigelc:

Thanks for the clarification. I called them (the first two (white-backed) scans bogus because they were all in an envelope so defined. Sounds like they have moved up in status!

I should probably post the remainder for comments.
Art
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 2,728Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05