Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Hotels

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 122 / Views: 27,709Next Topic
Page: of 9
Learn More...
9659 Posts
Posted 11/17/2015   08:58 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saved these two post cards because by chance they happened to land on my desk. The same hotel separated by a decade or two.
Don

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by 51studebaker - 11/17/2015 08:58 am
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 11/17/2015   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This might be, straight up on points, the prettiest hotel postcard I've come across to date.

No, not the image, but the very fine lithography, soft colors, and lovely typeface.

http://www.millenniumhotels.com/usa...elosangeles/ ... the hotel's website

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mille...ltmore_Hotel

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/17/2015   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neuner Printing & Lithograph was in business until 1938. Here's a postcard showing what their business looked like back in the day:

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4599 Posts
Posted 11/22/2015   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice cards all.

It is always nice to see different views of any one given hotel over a period of time to see how they have changed. Will be posting more as time allows.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 11/25/2015   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The handful of J.B.Pound hotels were in southern US cities, and enjoyed mention in their local press, etc.

How fun would it be to contact those folks selling postcards of the J.B.Pound hotels, and ask them to scan the backs?

This one is a blotter ... about the third blotter I've found snuck in amongst the postcards in the bargain boxes.

Hint for the kids: when writing, fountain pens - and, before them, nibbed pens, dip pens, and quill pens - would often leave drops of ink that would need hours to fully dry. The solution was an ink blotter.

Commerce being what it is, ink blotters (like just about everything else small & cheap) found a role as advertising specialties.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1362 Posts
Posted 12/31/2015   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the Indian River Hotel in Titusville, Florida. The hotel was built in the 1860/1870s and demolished some time after 1962 (it had been partially destroyed in a fire). The hotel is what put Titusville on the map (insert joke here). The hotel offered a convenient stopping place for people traveling the east coast of Florida.

Robert
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 12/31/2015   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A historical marker about the original Titus House later becoming the Indian River Hotel and finally the Hotel Dixie until it partially burned down in 1962. An apartment complex now stands on that site.

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 01/28/2016   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The Ashworth Hotel in Hampton Beach, New Hampshire.

http://www.ashworthhotel.com/ ... still going strong

I understand why they enclosed that glorious veranda, but I don't think that they did us any favors.

Bonus! The postmark & slogan match the subject.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 01/30/2016   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

What might be (in the light of day) the ugliest hotel in Geneva CH: The Hotel Du Rhone.

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/geneva/ ... nowadays known as the Mandarin Oriental:

Q/ What means the 'EMPRUNT' in { EMPRUNT P.T.T. / EQUIPMENT P.T.T. } ???

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6202 Posts
Posted 01/31/2016   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hillmanns Hotel in Bremen , Germany. Card sent 7 April 1900 and arrived at the Chelsea Station in Boston, Mass. on 21 April.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 02/01/2016 01:05 am
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 02/25/2016   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
http://www.hotelsitalyonline.com/Sa...oriaWestEnd/

According to the historical notes, the building of Astoria Hotel dates back before 1880. The hotel became the Astoria West End in 1946. During these years the hotel has been renovated and in the early 80's it has been completely refurbished. Its guests are offered every kind of comfort and the outmost elegance. Surrounded by an exotic park, the Astoria West End hotel provides 120 bedrooms equipped with private facilities ...

The Hotel Astoria in San Remo IT.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Edited to add: Postcard from the collection of Michael Lebbert.
Edited by ikeyPikey - 02/25/2016 9:22 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 03/31/2016   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand the moonlight view, but two aircraft overflying the hotel at once?

This linen card was published ~1937.

http://www.hotelgalvez.com/ ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Galvez ... and the hotel is still there!

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7604 Posts
Posted 03/31/2016   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IkeyPikey, if you read the inscription correctly, there must be three planes all converging on the same point?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6202 Posts
Posted 03/31/2016   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The artwork of the 1930's and 40's linen postcards is interesting. I always wonder about the size of the photographs or prints these guys painted on. And the conventions are pretty consistent, like the airbrushed clouds and moonlit waves you see on many of them. I wonder if any of these "paintings" are still around.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 03/31/2016 9:54 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 03/31/2016   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... if you read the inscription correctly, there must be three planes all converging on the same point? ...

Well-spotted, Petert4522!

I sort of ass-u-me'd that those two aircraft were, uh, enhancements, mostly because I just came across two later cards of San Diego with ridiculous swarms of aircraft.

I've I set those aside while I think of how to best to define & title their thread.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 122 / Views: 27,709Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05