Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

More Paquebot Cancels

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 91 / Views: 14,919Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4606 Posts
Posted 06/30/2013   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bujutsu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All

I have scanned this cover with what appears to be a double-impression Kragg machine cancellation with the inscription "PARIS - ST. LAZAIRE / PAQUEBOTS" dated January / March (?) 1932. What I am wondering because the word "Paquebot' is the plural form is from a particular ship or is it the promotion of ships on the Paris - St. Lazaire line?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chimo

Bujutsu

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1700 Posts
Posted 06/30/2013   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would be a roller impression and I believe was used on mail going from Paris via the port of Le Harve en route to the USA.

edit...Le Havre
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by scotzm - 06/30/2013 4:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1700 Posts
Posted 06/30/2013   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Paris - St. Lazaire line?"... I believe it does mean railway line then
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 06/30/2013   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not unheard of to have rail lines compose part of a Paquebot route.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1700 Posts
Posted 06/30/2013   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Posted in Paris...postmarked at the Paris-St.Lazare railway station then on to Le Havre.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4606 Posts
Posted 06/30/2013   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great and thanks a lot for that info

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 06/30/2013   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that letters deposited in the special box at St. Lazare destined for overseas travel required a 25c surcharge. What I am not clear on, is that I thought the standard postage would be 1F50C (plus the 25c surcharge). This letter seems to have a hefty rate. Over 20 grams, perhaps?

Ideas? Corrections? (I claim no expertise.)
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
686 Posts
Posted 06/30/2013   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a beautiful cover.

Trains, boats and automobiles...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 07/01/2013   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One last thought. I believe many of the pieces posted for overseas travel at the St. Lazare station caught a ship at Cherbourg.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1700 Posts
Posted 07/01/2013   1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you're correct about another port being Cherbourg. The usual route of the ships of that time was a triangle... Southampton then Le Havre (or Cherbourg) then on to New York.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4606 Posts
Posted 07/01/2013   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the additional information.

This puts a lot of clarity to the cover.

While on the topic of Paquebot cancels, I have this other cover that was mailed from Hong Kong to our town here in 1986. It would appear that the cover was supposed to be of a philatelic nature only but this marking to this affect has been crossed out and the cover was sent registered.

There aren't any other added markings on the cover to indicate what ship this was on but the cover nonetheless did receive a "Paquebot" cancel.

What are your opinions on this cover?

Chimo

Bujutsu

Valued Member
Romania
302 Posts
Posted 07/02/2013   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add March to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A Registered STAMPLESS cover (1986) from PHILATELIC (BUREAU OF ) GENERAL POST OFFICE - HONG KONG to Canada ?!?!
Another question mark : "PAQUEBOT" is the French word for this type of vssl . But as far as we all know English is the H.K. language so it should have been " PAQUEBOAT " !
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1700 Posts
Posted 07/02/2013   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
March said "PAQUEBOAT" ?? Ouch! Perhaps the words "packet boat" is better in English. Paquebot is the internationally recognised French term for these vessels with Paquebots being plural hence the original posting marks meaning the letter could be delivered by rail from Paris to any available paquebot (mail ship) in the ports of LeHavre or Cherbourg.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 07/02/2013   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It harkens back to the time when French was the official language of the world.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1700 Posts
Posted 07/02/2013   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a theory on the Hong Kong cover... there looks to be instructional marks on the right hand side box (I cannot see actual words) but it is very similar to GB type instructional markings which include "return to sender"...or "posted unpaid" for instance. I'd surmise from the Par Avion sticker the cover was meant to go airmail, was posted unpaid, received the instructional markings (if that is what it is) for postage unpaid etc, and was sent surface mail instead. Surface mail from Hong Kong to Canada would be by sea so the cover got a Paquebot mark.
Valued Member
Romania
302 Posts
Posted 07/02/2013   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add March to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a lot of nice " arranged" covers on market ! Unless we have the original in hand....

BTW... nowadays a so called " surface mail" from Europe to USA for ex., or China to Canada go airmail and not by boat !

Hong Kong to Canada cancel year is 1986 !
Edited by March - 07/02/2013 3:51 pm
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 91 / Views: 14,919Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05