Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting Hitler Overprint

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 8,862Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 01/05/2009   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mkfarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is one that I have never seen. These are Hitler Overprints by the Russians in the eastern part of Germany.

Image: hitler.jpg
93.14 KB
Send note to Staff
Edited by mkfarm - 01/05/2009 9:24 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
522 Posts
Posted 01/05/2009   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ziggy9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been going through dozens of Hitlers over the past few days. Never seen those. Something else to look for.

Richsrd
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Germany
211 Posts
Posted 01/05/2009   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drudenfus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The upper two are local issues from Netzschkau-Reichenbach, the lower two from Döbeln.

The date on the Döbeln-stamps (6.5.1945) is the date when the Russian army arrived in Döbeln.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 01/05/2009   11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Drudenfus do you know if this information is available from the Michel Deutschland Spezial catalog ? I have one but the German philatelic language can be difficult for me ..thanks, phil
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Valued Member
Netherlands
333 Posts
Posted 01/06/2009   02:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jan-Simon to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Phil, that info is indeed available from the Michel Germany catalogue. It's even in the standard version :) By the way, since a few years Michel has a translated edition of the Deutschland Spezial Katalog.

We have had a similar stamp being discussed here not too long ago. The one with the gothic script "D", from Löbau.

@ziggy9: these overprints are rare, at least if you want the real thing, not the fake overprints that seem to be quite abundant.
Valued Member
Germany
211 Posts
Posted 01/06/2009   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drudenfus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Drudenfus do you know if this information is available from the Michel Deutschland Spezial catalog ?

As Jan-Simon already said, it's available from the standard Michel catalog as well.

Quote:
these overprints are rare, at least if you want the real thing, not the fake overprints that seem to be quite abundant.

But still they don't rate very high in the catalog.
The shown Netzschkau-Reichenbach issues rate 8 €, the Döbeln ones 15 € each (Michel 2007).
Add it up and you get 46 € catalog value. Now the BUT: at least in here in Germany, if you want to buy stamps, 10-20% of the Michel catalog value is the usual "street-price". 4-8 € doesn't sound that impressive anymore
Valued Member
Netherlands
333 Posts
Posted 01/06/2009   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jan-Simon to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I stand corrected, not all of these Hitler overprints have high catalogue values. Over here in the Netherlands it is usually 30% of Michel c.v. but it depends on the seller. There are alos "old geezers" who still price their stamps in French Franks according to their old Yvert & Tellier catalogues....

Anyway, these Hitler overprints tend to sell for higher prices as their is a lot of interest in nazi memorabilia, also in stamps. That makes it tempting to make the overprints, especially because it is relatively easy to do.
Valued Member
Germany
211 Posts
Posted 01/06/2009   07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drudenfus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That makes it tempting to make the overprints, especially because it is relatively easy to do.

That is true, as sad as it is.

Just look at the Barsinghausen issues. A whole set rates 1400 €. And all you need to fake these are some worthless Hitler stamps, black ink and a rubber stamp you can carve yourself.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 01/06/2009   09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting information.

It's been said, but I'll say it again here - I am very pleased to have some extremely knowledgeable German collectors in the family.

The more I read what you guys are posting the more I know I don't know about German material. Of course, I'm a generalist, but I'm still impressed.

The statement above is not meant to demean any of the "old time" members in any fashion. If I want to do that I will do so explicitly!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 01/06/2009   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are called "schwarzungen" in German. They are black dots put on Nazi symbols after VE Day. The authenticity is proven by the May 1945 days cancellations.

Image: hitler.jpg
68.23 KB
Edited by mkfarm - 01/06/2009 09:53 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 01/06/2009   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Liberation of a Würtenberg town with date of the Liberation and the V for Victory overprinted on Hitler.

Image: hitlerv.jpg
63.09 KB
Edited by mkfarm - 01/06/2009 09:56 am
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 01/06/2009   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is great information..for some reason I am not a huge hitler fan,but his era is hugely popular with collectors..we have a great mix of people new to stamp collecting...i hope they stay interested, and some very knowledgable advanced collectors..everyone should benefit..sometimes it may sound a bit deep to the new people..but they can take what they want and leave the rest !!
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 01/06/2009   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no German expert that is for sure. I find the stamps I like and do my best to research them. However I can make mistakes so it is cool having people closer to the subject.

My real interest is in US Stamps, while again far from an expert I am pretty knowledgeable with them.

New foreign blood and information is good for the forum and good for my learning curve.
Valued Member
Netherlands
333 Posts
Posted 01/06/2009   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jan-Simon to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the Schwarzungen, they look very authentic, but you need to be careful in this field. Although I can not remember right now precisely where I read it, I have read somewhere that in the chaotic days of the end of the war a lot of the cancels were stolen from the postoffices. So it is even possible that the black dots were put on the stamp and afterwards it was cancelled with the correct date...
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
Posted 01/06/2009   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jopie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does my old Dutch heart good to see Hitler's face all blackened out... Jopie
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1159 Posts
Posted 01/06/2009   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sharksfan11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have any overprints like these...bummer. They are very interesting and thanks for showing them.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 8,862Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05