Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

German Inflation Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Australia
2 Posts
Posted 12/14/2013   01:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Matt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone, I bought a box of stamps years ago from a small country auction, most of the stamps where Australian that is why I bought it but now I have been looking through the rest and came across these, The 220 millionen one is on a webpage saying that it is rare.

Send note to Staff
Edited by Matt - 12/14/2013 03:55 am

Valued Member
Netherlands
249 Posts
Posted 12/14/2013   06:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tinus_NL to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are an interesting part of German philatelic history, but unfortunately for you none of these are particularly rare.

There is a variety of the 2M on 200 that is more valuable (catalogued at EUR 200 in the Michel Germany) but yours is not one of those. Can't tell from the picture if yours is that variety, but the value would lie in it being in used condition, which obviously your stamp is not.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2523 Posts
Posted 12/14/2013   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Matt, just to add a bit to what Tinus has posted. According to my scott catalog the rarer version of this stamp is a "serrated roulette" 13 1/2 measured perf. The more common is a normal perf 14. And the used version is more valuable.
There are some other German's of that era that are more valuable used.
Australia
2 Posts
Posted 12/15/2013   02:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Matt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks people for your comments, I am going to sort all the world stamps into there countrys then see if the local libary has any books, most of the stamps that I got from a sale im guessing are from before 1940.
Valued Member
Japan
235 Posts
Posted 12/15/2013   07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Matt and all,

The "2 Million on 200M" could be divided into three major groups;

Mi.Nr. 309AP (perf. 14:14 1/4, Plattendruck (=flat plate printing ?) )
Mi.Nr. 309AW (perf. 14:14 1/4,Walzendruck = rotary printing)
Mi.Nr. 309BP (rouletted 13, Plattendruck)

I uploaded the image from my album; sorry for the very poor quality, but it is from my childhood (with some recently added notes) when I spent a couple of years in Hamburg, West Germany in the 70's.

The German inflation stamps are rich of variation, and according to the Michel Deutschland-Spezial catalogue, this "2 Million on 200M" alone is further subdivided into 8 varieties. Mi.Nr. 309AP has three (a,b, c), 309AW has two (a,b) and 309B has two(a,b) color variations, and one watermark variation for 309APa. The most rare version is the Mi.Nr. 309BPb (rouletted, with "lebhaftorangerot" shade).

As Stampcrow mentioned, the used version is far much valuable (for example, 309BPb unused is 20-60EUR, used is 14000 EUR !!). Thus lot of forged cancellations !! Here is an interesting item from my collection, which evidently show how the forged used versions of the inflation stamps have been fabricated.

Happy collecting !

unechan

United States
3 Posts
Posted 08/27/2017   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Patrickj442 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Anyone know if this is really the rare one?
Valued Member
160 Posts
Posted 08/27/2017   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Patrick,

Unfortunately no, Nr.309 BPa under Michel Catalogue. "durchstochenen" perforations (Rouletted, plate printing. The earliest used known is 22.10.1923

Cancellation from BAYREUTH, in Bavaria. Example below.

For these it is important to note that certification is needed. Your cancellation can't prove the date of usage. even for the color "a" at 200.00 Michel Euro.

Color "b" is very brownish.

Best regards

Hornet

Edited by hornet785 - 08/27/2017 8:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6707 Posts
Posted 08/27/2017   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Patrickj442, and welcome to the forum. It is too bad that your stamp is not on the original cover any longer. Is it possible to re-scan your stamp but on a black background so we can see all of the perforations?

Peter
Valued Member
160 Posts
Posted 08/28/2017   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Peter,

Here a Nr.309 Aa (Normal Perfs) Unfortunately, I did not check this one yet for W or P printing (roller or plate)

This is a good example to compares with if Patrick show his stamp as you asked.

Regards

Hornet

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
583 Posts
Posted 08/28/2017   02:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Example from my collection.

If possible the cancellation date can be read.

If possible with all its perforation. But this kind of perforation allows for acceptance of a slighty less quality of perforation.

Little back stamps as shown in the example beneath are nice, but use your own judgement.

And yes I have noticed that my stamp is dated 21.10.23

Valued Member
423 Posts
Posted 08/28/2017   03:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
table of expert marks

be careful with buying stamps with expert marks if the mark isn't as shown.
Valued Member
160 Posts
Posted 08/29/2017   07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Johan,

I did show your stamp to one of my friend at INFLA-Berlin

1. Nice stamp. BPP and Infla Berlin marking are genuine.

2. The new first date is 17.10.23 (Michel has been updated 2017)

Best regards

Hornet

@Sorsh, your hint is very important.

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
583 Posts
Posted 08/29/2017   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Hornet 785.

Thanks for your post.

I have to admit, my Michel spezial is slightly outdated.

I am sure an even earlier date will be found

Kind regards, johan.
United Kingdom
3 Posts
Posted 09/02/2017   04:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pippa11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone, I have been looking at all the information you have posted and find it all mind boggling with all the different perforated/non perforated details. Please can you help advise me if this is one of the forgeries? Also is a picture of another stamp which is interesting because of the digits. The stamps I have I can read date stamps back to 188? Thank you

United Kingdom
3 Posts
Posted 09/02/2017   04:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pippa11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the other stamp of interest due to digit placement

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
583 Posts
Posted 09/02/2017   07:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Pippa 11,

These stamps were produced in large numbers and often quickly printed to satisfy demand.

Ideal would be value in the box.

Often the value is a bit higher.

Sometimes lower. to my opinion not as much.

Sometimes upside down. (Known in catalogue)

And sometimes it really goes wrong.

Kind regards, Johan.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05