Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Belgian Railway Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 16,346Next Topic
Page: of 14
Valued Member
United Kingdom
137 Posts
Posted 03/02/2019   12:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks John for your post.

Quote:
Dispatch from normal post offices with railway stamps was allowed. If the place had no railway station

It might not be as cut and dried as whether or not there was a railway station at all. In the UK the railway companied had separate offices for the receipt of parcels and other goods that were not attached to stations, sometimes even where the nearest station was reasonably close.

In this country the transport of goods was the big earner and the driver for the development of the railways generally, not the transport of passengers. Was it the same in Belgium? If so it makes sense therefore that the companies would want to make it as easy as possible for people to get their packages to a convenient point for despatch, and post offices here were much more widespread and accessible - especially in big towns and cities.

As Tony said earlier, if you used a post office to despatch your parcel and they used ordinary stamps and an ordinary CDS, once the stamps were off the docket we as collectors have no way of knowing what the transaction was.

It's far less than 100 years since this was a common way of moving goods around but as with so many everyday things it was so commonplace that nobody really recorded it , and no one seems to remember what the details of the process were.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 03/12/2019   11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Typical Waybill
Source : Auction Belgian Philatelic Circle
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 03/12/2019   11:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seek Information.

Belgian Railway Bisects. (from a collection of 10)
Only seen OSTENDE or LIEGE 1939 "Service Militaire"

Edited by rod222 - 03/12/2019 11:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
627 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   04:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What I was able to find:

in 1938 new railway stamps were issued. In the same year/period Belgium started Military Mobilisation.

Packages sent to Military personel were only 3 franks.

Problem was the new series did not have a 3 frank stamp, and the older railway stamps were no longer valid.

Solution: chop the 6 franks examples in half.

later in September 1939 a new stamp with 3 frank overprint came into use.

First picture: remark in the official Belgium catalogue confirming the existance of semis stamps

Picture 2: the catalogue part of the septemeber 1939 issue.

Both in dutch, but in generall I explained what happened in the text above.

Catalogue used is older, so catalogue prices seen on the picture are not current.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   05:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fabulous Johan.
Thank you for your time, on my behalf.
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one that has me stumped, even tho it looks like it ought to be easy:

I tried Terneder, but the 6th letter is almost certainly not a D. Tried Terneuer, but couldn't find such a name.

Any ideas? TIA, Tony

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tricky one.
I am thinking perhaps TERNEAU or similar, but Wiki does not recognise this city / town.
Needs more work.

Falling Rain has nothing with TERNEU???
Thought bubble: Anglicised form of TURNHOUT perhaps ?

That 3rd letter, is an enigma, an R, or something else?

Crazy, wild suggestion: Error in the production, R and N transposed.
TENREUKEN
Not aware of production techniques, if engraved no, if movable typeface, well then ?

Edited by rod222 - 04/23/2019 7:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, nothing easy like that in fallingrain.com. TERNEDERHOF and TERNEDER HOEVE are the closest I can find. Both are the same place (Lat and Long same), with the former being Germanic, and the latter being Dutch. Both translate to homestead, home or home place.
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Should have mentioned it, but that R is almost certainly an R, based on good light and a 10x loupe.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4941 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could it be Terneuzen? On the border, albeit the Dutch side.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could it be Terneuzen? On the border, albeit the Dutch side.

Geoff, I like it !
The date would add weight to the suggestion, but being a port railhead, I would have thought the cancel to be more numerous. Never seen this one before.
Edited by rod222 - 04/23/2019 7:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6832 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking the same, being from Holland. But the small part of the letter after "Terneu" does not look like a "z". Besides, a Belgian cancel would not be used in Holland

Peter
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But the small part of the letter after "Terneu" does not look like a "z".

I had trouble with that, then decided the tiny white spot was a rub or damage to the perf tooth. I decided it could well be the elbow of a thickish "Z"
Valued Member
United Kingdom
36 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deltic1575 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you look on Delcampe you will find a number of cancellations for Terneuzen and it is listed in Jones Railway Cancellations
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and it is listed in Jones Railway Cancellations

Thank you very much, Deltic.
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 16,346Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05