Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rotw Hotels

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 56 / Views: 13,105Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 04/11/2014   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Hotel Aletti in Algeria.

Not a well-kept secret:

http://www.famoushotels.org/hotels/55

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/30206928

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff
Edited by ikeyPikey - 04/11/2014 10:02 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 05/25/2014   12:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The NINE STAR Cold-War-Era Hotel President in Berlin.

Q/ Is that the Stasi logo on the adjacent building?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 06/29/2014   06:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another ROTW (Rest Of The World) hotel.

The Hotel Edda in Kirkjubaejarklaustur.

No, I can't say that five times fast.

Apparently, the locals don't, either; Wikipedia says they just call it "Klaustur".

http://www.hoteledda.is/en

More of my Iceland tourist chromes are at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ikeyp...45004835317/

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 06/30/2014   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another ROTW (Rest Of The World) hotel:

The Holiday Inn in Luxemburgh.

Not a classic.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 07/01/2014   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The Evropeiskaya ('European') hotel in Leningrad ('St Petersburg') Russia.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 07/02/2014   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The Grand Hotel in Stockholm, Sweden.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 07/09/2014   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another ROTW (Rest Of The World) hotel.

The Malmen Hotel in Medborgarplatsen, Stockholm, Sweden.

Interesting that high-quality MonoChrome photocrhomes continued to be produced in Europe after WW2; I wonder why they went out of favor, so severely, so fast, in the USA?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 08/01/2014   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another ROTW (Rest of The World) hotel ... sort of.

I fiddled with multiple translators, and read relevant pages, and still cannot decide if the Tosari Convalescent Sanatorium in the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia) was built near the old hotel, or was a re-purposing of the old hotel.

In any case, there it is, far, far away.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 08/03/2014   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another ROTW (Rest of the World) hotel: The Hotel National in Montreux, Switzerland.

http://www.nationalmontreux.ch/en/l...montreux.php history

http://www.nationalmontreux.ch/en/r...national.php holiday rentals

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Postcard s/n 5370 by Frobenius AG (Basel).

Wikipedia says that is an old name in Basel printing, to wit:

- Johannes Frobenius (1460-1527), publisher and printer in Basel
- Hieronymus Frobenius (1501-1563), publisher and printer in Basel, son of Johannes
- Ambrosius Frobenius (1537-1602), publisher and printer in Basel, son of Hieronymus

They also published museum/academic books, as least thru the 1980s.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 08/04/2014   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another ROTW (Rest of the World) hotel: The Kempinski in Berlin.

West Berlin, East Berlin, Suburbs of Berlin ... somehow there is always a certain frisson to any postcard from any place that was behind The Iron Curtain.

I always begin with an apologia: "Look, kids, I know I can't explain to you what The Berlin Wall meant, and I still can't believe it really came down in my lifetime, but I had to listen to my parents yammer on about The Depression, so pretend to listen while I tell you about {}."

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
526 Posts
Posted 08/18/2014   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hieronymus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, in German the name is Froben. Johann, the founder of the firm published Erasmus's writings, the ancient classics and Church Fathers In many ways he surpassed Amerbach, the earliest major printer in Basel, and was one of a handful of most prominent printers in Western Europe. I did not realize that the company was still going in the 20th century, though printing picture postcards seems a bit of a come-down from the halcyon years of the early 1500s. But obviously it was a sideline to their coffee-table books etc. In 1500 Basel was one of the leading cities of Europe, given its position on the upper Rhine when rivers were the highways. From Basel down the river to the North Sea and on to England was a hop, skip, and jump compared to traveling overland a fraction of that distance.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 08/29/2014   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another ROTW (Rest of the World) hotel: the cliff-top Hotel Europa, in Capri, Italy.

I wonder how they dealt with poor tippers.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2973 Posts
Posted 08/30/2014   06:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi IkeyPikey, thanks for posting the card of the Holiday Inn in Luxembourg.

I stayed there for a few days in 1988 and all I remember apart from the large European Union buildings close by was that the hotel was having a Spanish-themed week.

We had piped Spanish music with plastic donkeys and oranges in the foyer/lobby and lounge.

By the way it's very strange from a non-US perspective to see this topic of "ROTW Hotels".
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 08/30/2014   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nigel, Greetings:

Quote:
We had piped Spanish music with plastic donkeys and oranges in the foyer/lobby and lounge.

It is of such things that memories are made.

Quote:
By the way it's very strange from a non-US perspective to see this topic of "ROTW Hotels".

SCF is so presumptively and practically Americentric that I thought I was doing a public service by merely pointing-out that the rest of the world exists, period.

Baby steps, Nigel, baby steps.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 08/31/2014   02:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another ROTW (Rest of the World) hotel: The Hong Kong Hilton.

Nice job on the logo; simple concept, but very well-executed.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
2170 Posts
Posted 08/31/2014   02:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From ROTW: Hotel Saurat, Espot (Catalonia, W. Europe). On the Pyrenees. Picture from the 1940 decade. Still open, and not much changed.

Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 56 / Views: 13,105Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05