Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Hoard Of Belgium Precancels And Overprints (Image Heavy!)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 6,013Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4979 Posts
Posted 07/13/2014   11:04 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A ton of images to load, so please be patient...

I've always been drawn to Belgian precancels for some reason. I remember seeing them in various and sundry packets and mixtures as a child, marveling over their precise appearance.

Now decades later, I still find them attractive, and pull them out of any lots or collections I'm remaindering. I purchased the Randall International precancel catalog, amazed at the literally thousands of listings for the precancels of Belgium.

The lot below appeared on eBay and a few rounds of the Best Offer tango with the seller later, it was headed my way.

Even though it was sold as a lot of precancels, methinks some of the sections in it are not precancels:

1. Roller cancels. Yes these are postal, but I didn't think they were precancels.

2. Large "T" cancels (overprints?) in various colors on numerous stamp types. I believe these are postage due indicators. Not precancels.

3. A myriad of "-10%" overprints or cancels. These are apparently due to a postal rate change? Not precancels.

Presumably not very valuable, but a nice variety of items in one spot to compare and contrast. Some interesting split and multiple strikes.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2742 Posts
Posted 07/13/2014   11:25 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice collection. The "T" stamps are postage due stamp overprints. Some other European countries have these as well like Bulgaria. The -10% is a surcharge overprint when there was a postage rate reduction.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Belgium
33 Posts
Posted 07/17/2014   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was a postage rate reduction of 10 % from 16 may 1946 till 14 december 1948 . Every post office had a reductionstamp , there are about 550 different types of reductionstamps.
There are a lot of precanceld stamps fron 1938 on.There also there is a lot of variation.In 1938 the indicated the mont of the year , so there are 12 different types , from 1939 on it was for 1 year or a period of 6 months , this until 1954.
From 1954 till 1963 the indicated 2 years : 1954/1955 , from 1963 only one year , from 1966 the symbol of the Belgian Post ,a posthorn.
There are precanceld stamps from 1894 with the name of a town and a year.
Albert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2434 Posts
Posted 07/17/2014   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
great collection - I'm sorry I missed this one!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1428 Posts
Posted 07/17/2014   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree; that is a nice collection. I have a few dozen Belgian pre-cancels that I hope to get around to merging into my main albums.....someday.

Couple thoughts: the Journaux cancel on some of your earliest items may indicate payment of postage for mailing newspapers. Also, there is a small Belgian lot in tomorrow's public auction at Michael Rogers Inc. (Lot #205). The description makes a reference to the so-called Van Acker minus 10% issues; also referenced by Albert, in his reply above. The description further says that the OBP catalogue may be needed, especially for the -10% issues. I assume that is a specialized Belgian catalogue. Happy stamping.
Edited by Climber Steve - 07/18/2014 10:18 am
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
Posted 07/17/2014   11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EricBismarck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I saw this lot on eBay? - Wow - Jealous!

I love the -10% overprints. I have a few pages of them sorted out, and a nice selection of T overprints and precancels.

But this collection takes the cake!

Eric
Valued Member
Belgium
33 Posts
Posted 08/03/2014   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have made scans of your stamps in my old catalogue from 2006 , so I think it will be easier for you.
first you find the 1946 stamps with 10 % reduction , I: lokale opdrukken = local overprint ,A:beeltenis :portrait of king B:LeopoldIII,type open collar C:Lion ,2 version French and Dutch ,D:the king same type with V and a crown before .
II:algemene opdrukken : overprints done in the printing office in Mechelen=Malines.
III: overprints from Gelligen :they printed the new value instead of -10%.
IV : other values with overprint .
For the precancels : before 1938 each postoffice made his own precancels with his name and tear , from 1938 on you find official precancels.First you have an image of the precanceled stamp , then the different stamps for every year . Then you have also different kinds of paper ( papier ) and gum (gom).
From 1986 to 1996 ther is a very nice collection of birdstamps .
About roller stamps : I do not know what it is : on your list is indicated in French : cancelling by the (Post Ofiice)Sanings bank made with a roller : I see if I can find any explanation on internet.
If you have some more linguistic problems,don't hesitate.
Albert

Valued Member
Belgium
33 Posts
Posted 08/03/2014   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the roller cancels were used by the Post Office Savings bank since 1881 to cancel the stamps on the savingform
Albert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4979 Posts
Posted 08/03/2014   10:59 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I certainly appreciate the effort you have gone through, those images are so tiny I cannot read anything in them, and since they are VERY heavily compressed, the JPEG artifacts are bad enough that I canot upsample the images.

I've tried all the tricks I know in Photoshop, but cannot get them to be easily readable.

Would it be possible to scan them at a higher resolution?

Thank you.
Valued Member
Belgium
33 Posts
Posted 08/03/2014   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I try today because I ame leaving Antwerp to-morrow for 2 weeks albert
Valued Member
Belgium
33 Posts
Posted 08/03/2014   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope this is better.
I think it is ok . I mail this first and later the rest
Albert

Valued Member
Belgium
33 Posts
Posted 08/03/2014   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ok now the scan of the precancels
I hope everything can be read now
here it is 9.30 pm , so good night
albert

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4979 Posts
Posted 08/03/2014   6:12 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 6,013Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05