Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Distinguishing Lithographed From Typographed Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
877 Posts
Posted 07/26/2014   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add DonSellos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can any one provide some clues as to how to distinguish lithographed stamps from typographed stamps? I don't find the explanation in Scott particularly helpful.

An example that I recently encountered is Argentina Sc 687 and 688. The former is identified as lithographed, 688 as typographed. Both are the same color, denomination, & perf.

Thanks.

Don
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
980 Posts
Posted 07/26/2014   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When it is used to describe a method of printing, the word "typography" is peculiar to stamp collecting. Printers call this printing method "letterpress," meaning printing from a base that uses a relief (raised) surface to carry the ink and apply it to the printing paper.

Impressions taken from a lithographic stone are perfectly flat and smooth, the surface of the paper being neither raised nor depressed.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
877 Posts
Posted 07/27/2014   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Timm, for your response. I don't know -- the differences may be too subtle for me to notice, but we'll see.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 07/27/2014   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HungaryForStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been known to use thin aluminum foil and a soft pencil eraser to detect the difference, though I suppose the stamp could get damaged in the process. Tear a piece of quality foil several times larger than the stamp. Place the foil over the stamp and gently rub with a soft pencil eraser. If lithograph, it (the foil) should show no impression, otherwise you should see an impression.

You should be able to tell though from experience simply from eye balling the stamp or running your finger gently over the surface. Some have claimed the foil will leave a residue on the stamp. I've never seen this, but test the rubbing on a bright white piece of paper to ensure there is no residue left from the foil.

Use this method at your own risk.
Edited by HungaryForStamps - 07/27/2014 10:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3074 Posts
Posted 07/27/2014   11:36 pm  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Take a look at the back of the stamp to see if there is some impression made on the back of typographic stamp. However, some consider the frame lines to be messy and uneven on the typography stamps and neater and even on the lithography stamps.
Edited by jogil - 07/27/2014 11:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
877 Posts
Posted 07/28/2014   07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, HungaryForStamps & jogil. I'll practice trying to sense the raised printing and use the aluminum foil as a last resort.

Don
Valued Member
Australia
437 Posts
Posted 07/28/2014   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jjarmstrong47 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The main difference I notice is in the quality of the print. Sometimes it can be harder to tell lithographed stamps from recess and I've been surprised a few times. Typographed/letterpress stamps are good at producing flat areas of colour but usually the engraving is not shown off as well.

Just to reinforce what was said above, only recess printing/intaglio looks like the printing is raised. The impression you are looking for on a typo stamp is on the back of the stamp not the printed side. It often doesn't show in a used stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
877 Posts
Posted 07/28/2014   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It often doesn't show in a used stamp.

Thanks, jjarmstrong. but, alas, I collect at least 95% used stamps! I will continue to try to "see" the raised printing.

Don
Edited by DonSellos - 07/28/2014 10:54 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1279 Posts
Posted 07/28/2014   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've noticed, sometimes on typographed stamps, the ink used in the lettering gets squeezed to the edges of the letters. The letters will get a slight "outlined" effect, where the ink is darker on the edges than in the center.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
877 Posts
Posted 07/29/2014   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I've noticed, sometimes on typographed stamps, the ink used in the lettering gets squeezed to the edges of the letters. The letters will get a slight "outlined" effect, where the ink is darker on the edges than in the center

Yet another clue to use. Thank you, Robert.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
925 Posts
Posted 07/31/2014   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The offset-litho version is much more detailed:

In typography:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
877 Posts
Posted 08/07/2014   08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Galeoptix:

Very helpful! Thanks for posting the comparison of the two.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 12/04/2014   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just noticed this thread and if the OP is still
looking for differences between Argentinian litho and typo
stamps then perhaps some posts on this thread might help.

http://goscf.com/t/17709&whichpage=2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
877 Posts
Posted 12/06/2014   07:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just noticed this thread and if the OP is still
looking for differences between Argentinian litho and typo
stamps then perhaps some posts on this thread might help.

Lithograving:

Thanks for your reply. The comparisons in your link are very helpful. Distinguishing between the two printing processes remains challenging for me. Perhaps someday I will be able to identify each easily.

Don
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28141 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For your Lexicon.
incunabulum

A book or parchment printed prior to 1501, generally showing the earliest forms of Typography.

Plural : incunabula

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05