Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post A Photo Of Your 1933-34 Chicago World's Fair Postcards

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
Posted 04/07/2019   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like someone on-line has already compiled images of a great many of the Century of Progress postcards:
http://www.postcardy.com/COPpagesGD/COPseries.html
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3686 Posts
Posted 04/07/2019   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Note: These pages show only those postcards I have. Some series are complete, or nearly so. Some series are far from complete.

Looks like a nice leg up on your (new) life's work

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 04/09/2019   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can't let it go without a blimp.

Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
Posted 04/10/2019   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently, the Graf Zeppelin also made it to the fair, but there don't seem to be any postcards featuring it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3686 Posts
Posted 04/10/2019   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Yes Perhaps, but there are newspaper articles.

In fact, there is an embarrassment of riches: the Graf Zeppelin seems to appear, for one reason or another, most every day.

The visit took place on/about Friday 27 October 1933, but that day's Chicago Tribune is behind a paywall, albeit one with a 7-day free trial:

https://chicagotribune.newspapers.com/ ... I found this interface chunky, and the search function a little too literal

I had better luck at the New York Times, where I am on the right side of the paywall, and the search function is more supple.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Edited by ikeyPikey - 04/10/2019 08:59 am
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
Posted 04/10/2019   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen some covers with special cachets honoring the zeppelin's visit, with 3-cent Century of Progress stamps, so they weren't flown, just mailed domestically.
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
Posted 04/14/2019   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting info about the Zeppelin's visit to Chicago:
"While Graf Zeppelin's appearance was one of the highlights of the Chicago Fair, the swastika-emblazoned ship, which was viewed as a symbol of the new government in Berlin, triggered strong political responses from both supporters and opponents of Hitler's regime, especially among German-Americans. The political controversy muted the enthusiasm that Americans had previously displayed toward the German ship during its earlier visits, and when Eckener took Graf Zeppelin on a aerial circuit around Chicago to show his ship to the residents of the city, he was careful to to fly a clockwise pattern so that Chicagoans would see only the tricolor German flag on the starboard fin, and not the swastika flag painted on the port fin under the new regulations issued by the German Air Ministry."
I found this here: https://www.airships.net/lz127-graf...lin/history/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
Posted 04/14/2019   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting! I'm reminded of the 1937 movie, Charlie Chan at the Olympics, where the stock footage of the Hindenburg was retouched to obliterate the swastikas on its tail fins.
Edited by erilaz - 04/14/2019 3:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
Posted 04/14/2019   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found this also interesting:
"The Zeppelin Company (Luftshiffbau Zeppelin G.m.b.H.) agreed to fly to Chicago and the fair if the U.S. Post Office Department issued a special postage stamp to help offset the expenses of the flight. As a result, 42 cents of the fifty cents went to the Zeppelin Company."
Quoted From: https://postalmuseum.si.edu/collect...33-fair.html
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05