Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Super Size Taxpaid Revenues

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6066 Posts
Posted 11/27/2014   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And it is not by any means the scarcest or most expensive of this type of revenue.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
878 Posts
Posted 11/28/2014   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the high-end taxpaids in this field is for renovated butter. Original issues are far above my budget but the BEP reprinted one on a souvenir card in 1997. For sheer artistry, this is one of my favorites. It somewhat offsets the yuck factor regarding the product: renovated butter was a way to reprocess rancid butter to make it fit for resale and consumption. The butter lobby (yes, there really was one) no doubt lobbied hard to get this legislation in place in order to save money on what would have been wasted product.

Edited by GregAlex - 11/28/2014 7:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4554 Posts
Posted 11/28/2014   7:29 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eric has the BEP reprint for $12.50.

http://www.ericjackson.com/rDetails...8227&this=it

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6066 Posts
Posted 11/28/2014   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There not only WAS a butter lobby, but it was VERY powerful for quite a few years from the late 19th century into the 1930's when it came to getting certain things taxed and their rates. Taxes on colored and uncolored oleomargarine come to mind; they were eventually declared unconstitutional because of unequal taxation.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
878 Posts
Posted 11/29/2014   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a more recent taxpaid, for uncolored oleomargarine. For years the butter lobby kept margarine from being sold in a form that resembled butter, knowing that the pasty white color (much like lard) would turn away customers. Manufacturers had to include packets of yellow food coloring, and housewives had to mix it in to create a more palatable appearance.

Edited by GregAlex - 11/29/2014 2:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6066 Posts
Posted 11/29/2014   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Correct. The stamp for colored oleo was identical except it was orange in color and the tax was 10 cents per pound instead of 1/4 cent per pound. That is why it was declared unconstitutional, unequal taxation.
Valued Member
85 Posts
Posted 12/01/2014   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamppaige to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found a couple of obscure revenues. Still have the glue on back.

Valued Member
85 Posts
Posted 12/02/2014   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamppaige to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paperhistory, I just read your post on mixed flour. Any words of wisdom on that subject, I just found one in a box of old documents I've been cleaning out. Posted above.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
741 Posts
Posted 12/02/2014   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thought I would join in. I don't collect these but they came in a recent auction purchase...interesting.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
878 Posts
Posted 12/02/2014   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like those opium taxpaids, Southpaw, especially the 1924. I hadn't seen any with the coupons still attached.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1294 Posts
Posted 12/02/2014   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One wonders what was included in the "Etc." in "Opium, Etc." ...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 12/02/2014   6:42 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not much to say about mixed flour. The later series stamps (yours is an example) come in 1/8, 1/2, and 1/4 barrel "denominations", and two different roulettes. None of them are pricey, though they are not "common" in the sense of readily available. They can be found with a few different cancels and used from a few different states (I mostly see Washington, Oregon and Minnesota). I think most years there were fewer than 20 manufacturers of mixed flour, so not too many places to use the stamps. There is a rare 1 barrel denomination. The stamps can sometimes be found affixed to tags (the stamps were generally used on wholesale packages, not retail packages), an dless frequently on a cardboard form (those are rather scarce). Teh earlier stamps are larger and have pictorial elements, along with coupons that could be removed to determine the package size or denomination.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 12/02/2014   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One wonders what was included in the "Etc." in "Opium, Etc." ...

I'm not sure if this is an all-inclusive list, but for the period ending June 30, 1924, it would appear that "Taxable Narcotic Drugs and Preparations Purchased Within the United States from Manufacturers" included: Opium, Morphine, Codeine, Heroin, Dionin, Other Opium Alkaloids and Derivatives, Cocaine and Coca Leaves.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4554 Posts
Posted 12/02/2014   7:04 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Opium, Morphine, Codeine, Heroin, Dionin, Other Opium Alkaloids and Derivatives, Cocaine and Coca Leaves.

That's one hell of a Saturday night...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
741 Posts
Posted 12/02/2014   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, prohibition was in effect after all...
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05