Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Super Size Taxpaid Revenues

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5905 Posts
Posted 12/02/2014   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Special tax stamps were taxes on the licenses of various occupations. Practitioners were doctors, dentists and veterinarians. Retail dealers were drugstores; the coupons were to show when the tax was in effect, it was prorated for the time period. The auto for hire is far and away the best stamp of the three, retail about $60 or so. The others are $15-$20 each. These taxes lasted FAR longer than the prohibition period, they started earlier and went on decades after.

There is a one barrel mixed flour stamp, VERY rare. I believe there are only 3 or 4 known at most. The other values had to be on every package, so they are around if one looks for them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
847 Posts
Posted 12/05/2014   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The BEP actually produced two souvenir cards that feature large taxpaid revenues. I don't see the second one on Eric's site, so I'll post the reprint here. It's an early tobacco stamp and also shows some very nice engraving work. Interesting denomination -- you don't see many $19.20 stamps.

Edited by GregAlex - 12/05/2014 12:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2239 Posts
Posted 12/05/2014   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you don't see many $19.20 stamps.

Isn't that the new first class rate?
Edited by littleriverphil - 12/05/2014 4:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5905 Posts
Posted 12/05/2014   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Because many tax rates were based on weight or volume or alcohol content and often had different tax classes for different specific products, odd values on are not uncommon on a number of them. Fans of odd values should spend some time looking at the wine stamps listed in Scott. LOTS of odd values there.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
847 Posts
Posted 12/10/2014   03:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just thought I'd show one ugly example to give a sense of why some of these large stamps survived better as remainders than actually used. Often taxpaids were glued to crates, barrels and boxes and ruthlessly cancelled. Removing them took a small miracle and this is the result. Die-hard collectors understand that used copies rarely show up in pristine shape.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5905 Posts
Posted 12/10/2014   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This example is not ugly at all, it's closer to very fine than to ugly.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
847 Posts
Posted 02/11/2015   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Time to give this thread a bump with a few more scans. I have several full sheets of taxpaid remainders which are unfortunately too large for my scanner, but I'll post them in pieces.

The first, a Distillery Warehouse stamp, series 1872, illustrates a curious circumstance. In the early 1870s, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing was still in its infancy. It was growing steadily but still lacked the capacity to complete large jobs in a timely way. So for a time there was still a dependence on commercial firms like National, Continental, and American Bank Note. For instance, Fractional Currency from this period was printed by the Bureau on the front and the backs were printed by the bank note companies.

For a number of taxpaid stamps there was a similar division of labor, in this case Continental Bank Note printed the green frame and the BEP added the rest. This led to something you rarely see: a Bureau imprint at the top and a CBNC imprint at the bottom. On the full sheet these line up next to each other.

The sheet of 30 gallon Rectified Spirits stamps (series 1875) was printed entirely by American Bank Note and bears a portrait of Alexander Hamilton that shows up on other Treasury securities. This one has a puzzler on the back -- a strip of purple paper attached that runs the length of the sheet, under the right side of the stamp. I've seen this on a couple other taxpaid revenues and I assume it is some type of anti-counterfeiting measure but I have no idea how it worked. Any thoughts?

And yet another puzzle -- why would the rectified spirits stamp need two serial numbers on its face? I have two more examples from this series, one just like these and one with only a single serial number.

Edited by GregAlex - 02/11/2015 10:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5905 Posts
Posted 02/11/2015   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are two serial numbers because the right two thirds is the stamp and the left one third was a stub to be filled out and would remain in the book with the IRS agent. The stub and coupons were trimmed from the examples without them, they were there originally. If Ron Lesher decides to post on these, I am sure he can answer the purple strip question exactly, I don't remember the exact details.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
847 Posts
Posted 02/13/2015   01:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, if you include the serial on the stub, then there are three. Look at the stamp itself and you'll see a second number to the right of the one at center. Now I'm wondering if the purple strip was some kind of blotter to prevent offset on the back.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5905 Posts
Posted 02/13/2015   07:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Normally the usage of most revenues included the destruction of the stamp as a requirement. They were probably placed in such a way that the stamp would be split for some reason and both numbers would be needed.
Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 02/13/2015   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DenimDan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg, I hope you don't mind my adding my own taxpaids.

Here are TE 36, 37, and 38:

Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 02/13/2015   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DenimDan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And here are a couple more taxpaids: TF36 and 39. Sherwood Springer noted that the stamps in this series (1870 2nd) often appear without the usual violet, wavy lines that distinguish these from the 1869 issue, and even with higher resolution scans, I have a hard time finding any lines on my TF39.

Edited by DenimDan - 02/13/2015 5:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
847 Posts
Posted 02/14/2015   03:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for adding to the thread, Dan! I've been hoping others might post more material like this. I have TE36 but had not seen any of the others -- those are terrific.
Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 02/19/2015   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DenimDan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Greg! Getting those snuff taxpaids has been easy compared to what it's going to take to get the big ones of that series (TE39 and 40) at a reasonable price.

Here's another tax paid, a Distillery Warehouse stamp (Springfield 1A), this one with the remainder punches.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
847 Posts
Posted 02/20/2015   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dan, I thought I'd post a vignette print from the BEP that matches your TE37 -- "George Washington standing." This engraving originated from the American Bank Note Co. but the die was turned over to the Bureau after being used on a Treasury bond. The head was also used on a 3 cent Fractional Currency note from the 1860s.

Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05