Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Super Size Taxpaid Revenues

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 04/14/2016   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Springer never paid attention to the stubs, only to the different papers.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
637 Posts
Posted 04/14/2016   10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't have time to provide the scans now, but I suspect that the 1872 Brewer's Permits were printed in larger than sheets of 4, possibly 8. I have the plate 2 with stub that has the First Series. Will scan later.

There is also a plate three which I have used so no information about the stub.

Finally it should be noted that both the Springfield list and Springer listed this on green paper. I have a fairly late serial number 261989; There were only 277,600 delivered. My copy is on the violet paper. If there were any on green paper delivered, it would have had to be only a portion that were delivered during the last year. I think we can safely conclude that this stamp was never printed on the green paper.
Ron Lesher
Edited by revenuermd - 04/14/2016 4:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
Posted 04/14/2016   10:32 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ron,

Eric has a top copy of plate 1 on his website with no plate number in the margin. So your point of sheets larger than 4 is valid.
Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 07/07/2016   4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DenimDan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A question for those of you who collect early cigars taxpaids (TC):

How do you store/display your cigar stamps (which, for the unitiated, are quite long!)? I've not any stock sheets that would accommodate them.
Valued Member
United States
411 Posts
Posted 07/07/2016   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use the SAFE Horizontal XL Album http://www.safepub.com/sections/sta...-extra-large
It holds MOST of the cigar stamps, but I have a few that are still too long for the pages (I store them diagonally in a single pocket sheet)
Pillar Of The Community
2064 Posts
Posted 07/07/2016   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although this is not a particularly large cigar stamp, I left it on the box to keep it in context.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 08/04/2016   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I discovered a variety among a couple common taxpaids today. I have an uncut sheet of four of these Distillery Warehouse stamps and a couple singles, all remainders. These are all Series 1875, but one of them has a serial number with an engraved "Z" before the number. There are no other differences I could spot between them.

Anyone have more info about this? Could this indicate a rollover and restart of the numbers?

Edited by GregAlex - 08/04/2016 8:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
637 Posts
Posted 08/05/2016   07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg,

Yes, there was a restart on the serial numbers. You will also find this same stamp with a Y in the serial panel, yet another restart of the serial numbers.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 08/05/2016   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info! I wonder why they started with "Z" and worked backwards. You would think "A" would be the logical restart letter.
Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 10/14/2016   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DenimDan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't had access to a flatbed scanner in a while, but I did manage to scan in a few of my taxpaids this afternoon. The first set is my favorite series, the snuff stamps of 1872. The following are TE 34-38.

Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 10/14/2016   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DenimDan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This next set consists of tobacco stamps that I collect sporadically. Most of my examples have been backed with all manner of paper. These are all from the 1868 issue, and they are TF 5, 7, 9, and 10.

Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 10/14/2016   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DenimDan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an example of Distillery Warehouse 1A, in both remaindered and used form:

Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 10/14/2016   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DenimDan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And finally (for today) something a little different: a parchment cotton tag (Type I, #2) complete with its still sharp barb:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 10/14/2016   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lest anyone think DenimDan is kidding, that barb is still VERY sharp, even after 150 years.
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
Posted 10/15/2016   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rwoodennickel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DenimDan, Nice snuff tax paids. I am really wanting to find a cotton tag such as yours. Seems like the last one I saw at auction fetched a nice price. That is a great revenue item. Let the search begin.
Hope you got a tetanus booster as well, lol.
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.68 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05