Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Super Size Taxpaid Revenues

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar Of The Community
United States
876 Posts
Posted 01/04/2018   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim wins the internet, today!

Correct, the vignettes are different. The original vignette would have been engraved around 1873 or earlier for the first special tax stamps. Somewhere around 1883 it was re-engraved to remove the buildings. This is unusual -- since DC was growing you'd expect more buildings, not less.

Even more interesting is a third transitional vignette of the same scene that the BEP engraved as a frontispiece for a book of memorial addresses by Senator Henry Anthony. The book was published in 1875, so the vignette would have been re-engraved between the two tax stamps. And on this one only the buildings in the lower right are missing.

What these buildings were is a mystery. The ones in the lower right might have been built during the Civil War (barracks?) and were no longer needed. Any other guesses?

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by GregAlex - 01/04/2018 6:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1496 Posts
Posted 01/04/2018   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg,

Any idea what that single black thing is, in the roadway(?)?

It's common on all three engravings.

Looks like a horse drawn wagon maybe?

Whoever is in it must be pretty lonely, I would think.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6055 Posts
Posted 01/04/2018   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Almost certainly a wagon. Looks like there are two people in the foreground near the tree on the right as well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1496 Posts
Posted 01/04/2018   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The shapes do look people-sized.

Jim

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6055 Posts
Posted 01/04/2018   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't looked at this vignette in a very long time, all the special tax stamps I collect are 1914 and later.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
876 Posts
Posted 01/05/2018   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an 800 dpi scan of the road and it looks like a wagon to me, as well. I'm fairly certain this is a view along New Jersey Avenue NW, but how the bird's eye view was achieved I'm not sure. There is currently no building nearby that matches the height of the Capitol.

I probably would never have noticed the variations between the vignettes, if I hadn't picked up the Anthony book and compared them.

Edited by GregAlex - 01/05/2018 8:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6055 Posts
Posted 01/05/2018   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A photo taken from a hot air balloon would do it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
876 Posts
Posted 11/17/2018   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Time to dredge up a favorite old topic. I wish we had some other taxpaid additions to this thread.

Today a Special Tax Stamp. This one for Dealer in Manufactured Tobacco is quite common as a single remainder. But you rarely see them in original sheet form, two-up. I'm thankful for my large format Epson Workforce scanner!

Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 11/18/2018   07:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim; if those are tracks drawn rather than ruts I suspect a horse drawn car or trolly.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 11/18/2018   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sideshowbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Multiples are always very neat to me. I haven't seen a D&S remainder as a multiple before.

I do have the following multiple used provisionally to pay the tax for the three prior years though:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6055 Posts
Posted 11/18/2018   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is very possibly unique. I seem to recall seeing this about 45 years ago either in a collection or an exhibit.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
876 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I realized I also have a multiple of the Retail Liquor Dealer STS.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
646 Posts
Posted 04/18/2019   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have a Cigar Box with an interesting caution regarding the tax paid cigar stamp. Haven't seen this on the bottom of a cigar box before and thought I'd post it in the event it was news to anyone else:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
876 Posts
Posted 04/25/2019   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems to be a CYA disclaimer, in case a retailer sold them for more, so the IRS wouldn't come back to the manufacturer for additional taxes.
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
Posted 04/26/2019   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All of these are pretty cool. I wanna add to my collection, but wanna process some of what I have first. Still trying to figure out where to specialize in.
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05