Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2014 Minuteman Album Supplement

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

138 Posts
Posted 02/24/2015   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MrEos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got the supplement and put in all the 2014 stamps I've saved from the mail over the year. The supplement has spots for 100 stamps, plus a page for the circus posters sheet of 8 varieties, plus a page for the breast cancer semipostal reissue. No spot for the $2 Circus sheetlet. Also no spots for the 2014 Flags for all Seasons or the Poinsettia. Not sure I understand how Scott decides that some re-dated designs merit a spot (e.g. 70c "Yes I Do" or Chippendale chair) while others don't. They also included a couple of revisions for some classic era stamps, but using those would screw up other pages. ?!?

Anyway, I filled 73 of the 109 spots and added in my re-dated flags & poinsettia (also put them next to the 2013 versions). Already got a couple 2015 stamps, so the cycle continues.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
985 Posts
Posted 02/24/2015   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would guess that they only include spots for stamps with major catalogue numbers. The 2014 FAS & the poinsettia reprints were given minor numbers (lower case suffix added to major numbers). You might look for the purple heart, the 2014 Korean War medal of honor & the "Where Dreams Blossom" issues as well. All of these were assigned minor numbers since only the date on the stamp changed. On the other hand, the circus souvenir sheet was not given a number at all. Of course, the souvenir sheet might very well get a number in next year's catalogue.
Added: The two issues you mention (Yes I Do & Chippendale Chair) both received major numbers. The Yes, I Do got one because the denomination changed. I don't recall why the chair got a major number.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by JLLebbert - 02/25/2015 12:17 am
Valued Member
138 Posts
Posted 02/25/2015   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK... makes sense... sort of. I didn't realize the purple heart, medals of honor & Where Dreams Blossom had been re-issued with 2014 dates. I wonder how many of those I put in the "extras" pile thinking I already had them.
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 02/25/2015   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of the reasons to either make your own album or to leave them in a stock book. Why let a publisher dictate what ends up in your album and in which format? Take the Songbirds for example, Mystic would require me to separate singles - out of a booklet? You end up lowering the value of your collection by separating singles from booklets. No, thanks. I'll keep mine in a stock book. Here, I can rearrange them whenever I want to and won't have to spend $$$ for printed pages.
But, of course, everyone is entitled to do with their money what they want.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2021 Posts
Posted 02/25/2015   11:35 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"They also included a couple of revisions for some classic era stamps, but using those would screw up other pages."

I am curious what those revisions were?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
985 Posts
Posted 02/25/2015   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They also included a couple of revisions for some classic era stamps, but using those would screw up other pages.

I too am curious as to what the classic era revisions would be. Although it's not really classic era, are you perhaps referring to the Liberty series? As I recall they renumbered these, reassigning the major number to the wet printing & the minor number to the dry printing. But if they don't include minor varieties in the first place, this would really make no sense.
Valued Member
138 Posts
Posted 02/25/2015   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll respond further this evening with specifics, but they added spots for grill varieties on the Bank Note series, so there are spots for both H & I grilled stamps, and rearranged the 1902 (?) Ornate series. I didn't fly-speck these, but the rearrangements left an original page or two with existing spots that are now on the new pages, but other stamps are on the old pages that were not moved to the new, so you either need two stamps or tolerance for open spots. I'll look again this evening and correct if my memory is wrong or add details.
Edited by MrEos - 02/25/2015 2:19 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 02/25/2015   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't recall why the (Chippendale) chair got a major number.

The major number (Scott 3761A) was due to the fact that the date on the stamp changed to a 2013 date (even though it was issued early in 2014).
Valued Member
138 Posts
Posted 02/25/2015   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is because the 3761A is perforated and water activated, whereas the 3761 was die cut and self-adhesive. If the date change alone was enough, then all the others discussed in this thread should have got major numbers (assuming consistency is a goal, which maybe isn't a good assumption).
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 02/25/2015   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it is because the 3761A is perforated and water activated, whereas the 3761 was die cut and self-adhesive.

That's not quite right. Scott 3761 and 3761A are BOTH WAG Coils. Here's the Linn's Stamp News Announcement for the reprinted stamp in 2014 (with 2013 date) highlighting the differences (different printer and different date):

http://www.linns.com/news/breaking-...rs-2013-date
Valued Member
138 Posts
Posted 02/25/2015   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oops... you're right. It was the 2004 sheet version that was self-adhesive.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
985 Posts
Posted 02/25/2015   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since there have been numerous date changes that didn't merit a major catalogue number, I would guess that it was the change in printer (and the slight differences in physical appearance resulting from this change) that led to a major number. The date by itself was unlikely sufficient.
Edited by JLLebbert - 02/25/2015 6:44 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 02/25/2015   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I went back in the Postal Bulletin to the specs from the original 2007 printing of this issue (Scott 3761) and find different colors were used in the printing process--namely Scott 3761 used PMS 74073 (Tan) whereas the 2013 dated issue (Scott 3761A) used PMS 7407 (Yellow). There are also size differences in the image as well as other changes due to the different printer that was used:

Valued Member
138 Posts
Posted 02/25/2015   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I looked at the changed pages again, and my memory was pretty good.

Original page had 1870-71 National Bank Notes w/grill (134-44) and w/o grill (145-55) on one page. New pages add 134A-44A (separating H & I grills) and move 145-55 to their own page. This is fine, except now I will have 10 more open spots tormenting me.

A new page was also issued rearranging the "Ornate" series #300 et seq. It puts all of them (through 320A) onto one page. However, they did not issue a new page for the Pan-America Expo series, which are on the same page as the now moved #300-313. So, I'll either leave things as is, or create a custom page for the Pan-Ams. In my opinion, this was pretty poor editing by Scott/Amos.
Edited by MrEos - 02/25/2015 9:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2021 Posts
Posted 02/25/2015   10:19 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After I asked I figured the H & I grill thing was part of it, but reaarranging the 300 series after this many years (and making the mistake you noted) is a head scratcher.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
985 Posts
Posted 02/25/2015   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1: Thanks for the info on the chairs. It is much appreciated & does explain the reason for the major number.
MrEos: Didn't think about the I grills ... probably because I don't have any! Also I thought they were assigned major numbers a few years ago. I know they already appear in my 2014 catalogue. Seems like the album maker is reacting to the changes somewhat belatedly.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05