Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Direction For My Pc Collection.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 9,212Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1287 Posts
Posted 05/07/2015   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampfan9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My new collecting direction is to acquire as many cards with nice pictures, with interesting (to me) stamps and cancels from Mexico, the Caribbean, Central and South America. Shown are my first two purchases in pursuit of this new direction

[

Send note to Staff

Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 05/07/2015   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the stamps on the first postcard and then the postcard opn the second showing. Neat viaduct / bridge.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 05/07/2015   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stampfan9: Good luck with your new specialty!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1287 Posts
Posted 05/07/2015   11:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mr. Ike, thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
765 Posts
Posted 05/08/2015   01:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add guykickinit to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love old postcards. There's a 2nd hand store, referred to as an antique store that has probably over a thousand postcard from the late 1800's to the 1920's. Of course they want $2 each, and most aren't worth more than a dime. But they are cool. I should go offer a lot price, since they always seem to be there.
Member COPC.
Redmond, OR 97756 Mailer's Postmark Permit #1
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 05/08/2015   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... 2nd hand store ... they want $2 each ... I should go offer a lot price, since they always seem to be there ...

You don't ask, you don't get ... but the management of a collectibles shop includes more than just moving goods at a profit.

Rather like the old cameras in a photo shop window, or an old sewing machine in a cloth shop window, the old postcards have value as eye candy: they make a shopper stop & look, which gives them a chance to slow down & buy.

Moreover, there is the issue of price point. If they are calling themselves an antiques shop, they may not want a customer to ever leave the store having spent less than a dollar. And it is always good for business to have a few things that are over-priced ;)

Lastly, of course, the cards do not take a lot of room, and the shop owner may not care if they dribble out, one-by-one. After all, it is the happy buyer who is the most likely to come back, and look again.

Okay ... I'm spending way too much time hanging at my local collectibles shop. The owner, BTW, spends his days, every day, constantly re-arranging his stock, so that the regulars notice new things, even if they are not new.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1287 Posts
Posted 05/10/2015   01:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A "George Washington slept here" Postcard from Barbados to Connecticut, USA. Per my 1923 Scott's catalogue: Barbados Scott 72 1892-1896 A8 with a 3 cents used value.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1287 Posts
Posted 05/11/2015   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Charming street life scene in Grantstown, Nassau to Boston, MA postcard with a 1901 Scott Bahamas 33 paying the postage.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1287 Posts
Posted 05/15/2015   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool 1905 Paraguay picture postcard to Scott Stamp and Coin in NYC with a nice city view of Asuncion Paraguay, as well as a nicely cancelled 1904 Scott Paraguay 100 paying the postage.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1287 Posts
Posted 05/24/2015   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1904 Jamaica PC. I bought it for the cool Scott Jamaica 31 A12 waterfalls stamp. It seems the postal clerk had a bit of a time with his round stamp and finally just inked in a cancellation.

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 06/02/2015   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The mixed 'foreign' lots I buy at auction, from time-to-time, rarely include cards from South America.

And when I find cards from Mexico in the bargain box(es), they tend to be aesthetically awful.

Recently, by luck-of-the-lot, a few goodies have shown-up, almost all NYP (Not Yet Posted).

Deciphering the words on this card remains a challenge.

You might think that 'mex.' is obvious, but look at the way the 'x' is formed. Could that be 'mesc.'? The latter got me to a lake in Guatemala.

Searching on 'ameca' got me nowhere, and searching on 'cimeca' got me to a guy who has listed this same card for U$D 30 on eBay ... but I could not find towns or places named 'ameca' or 'cimeca' ...

Q/ Can anybody do better?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

This is *not* definitive proof that the image is of Mexico; I would suspect that Kodak Mexicana Ltd serviced a large swath of Latin America, but that's me.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1287 Posts
Posted 06/02/2015   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a gorgeous mountain wherever it is located.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 06/02/2015   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found one that was on eBay (that was) says
' PHOTO MEXICO CIMECA # 46 1937 '

The only picture is the obverse showing a postmark from Mexico D.F. (Districto Federale (I think)'.
Pic from eBay:

Cimeca is not the seller's name in that one. It is Uffdahhhpostcard, Uff Da!, with a neat Viking holding a Norwegian flag.
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/uffdahhhpostcard

So, also, Cimeca (I think it is also) could be the Mining company from South America.
Edited by Puzzler - 06/02/2015 7:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
651 Posts
Posted 06/02/2015   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks sort like Iztaccíhuatl (White Women), a dormant volcanic mountain in Mexico located on the border between the State of Mexico and Puebla.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...romonte1.JPG

the word under #46 may be a reference to "Amecameca" a town near Iztaccihualt

http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Amecameca
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 06/02/2015   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What are the arrows (seemimg) on your card?
Location of something perhaps?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
651 Posts
Posted 06/02/2015   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "arrows" are probably clearings on the mountain side.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 9,212Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05