Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

OH My ... Australia 45 Double Print?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3277 Posts
Posted 05/14/2015   01:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Partime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thought it looked odd at the club, but I bought it anyway. At home, the features really pop out. Too bad there are two puncture holes, but what do I see? It looks like the right top side is stable, but all of the other features are either doubled or a massive kiss-print.

Here is a close-up of the face(s):

The Top Right looks OK:

The lower right is a mess:

But the upper left is quite interesting. See the doubling of the A and a very broad extra line on the left?

The only mention I see in the ACSC is 8c which is listed as "Double Print (punctured OS only)". Obviously, this is not a punctured OS version, but I can't find anything else. That item is valued at $5000, so it would be nice to eliminate that one and find another option. Any ideas from our Aussie friends?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1022 Posts
Posted 05/14/2015   08:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Too bad there are two puncture holes as stated, unfortunately that decreases the value.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3277 Posts
Posted 05/14/2015   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Duncanvr. Have you seen this type of mis-print in any other kangaroos? It seems to be quite unique. I also like the Stock Exchange cancellation.

<Edit> I did a quick Google search, and there are several "kiss prints" of similar varieties. They all seem to be less severe than this one, but, on the other hand, they all are in better condition.
Edited by Partime - 05/14/2015 10:13 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3277 Posts
Posted 06/04/2015   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Much less noticeable, but interesting double-print in the numeral box and the upper left letters. Australia Scott #4

The Normal numeral box from another stamp

My example, which shows doubling in the 2 and 1/2, along with part of the circle

The A and you in Australia also have some interesting doubling. Has anyone else seen this one?

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
633 Posts
Posted 06/07/2015   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to guess that the 2d Grey is a Kiss Print or Slip Print, however, most stamps that are as clear as yours is often sold as a Double Print.

You can check definitions of each here:

http://re-entries.com/terms.html#kiss
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3277 Posts
Posted 07/02/2015   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just had my stamp repaired and am very happy with the results. The large tear in the middle (above the Kangaroos head) was tough to cover, but the upper right tear repair looks great. A nice addition to my collection, even with the big "R" I put on the back.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3277 Posts
Posted 11/02/2015   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to complete my "kiss" print early Australian, I have two copies of Scott 48 (ACSC 19), third watermark. Both copies are from the extreme right side of the plate, which also helps to explain how we can get the kiss print on the extreme right side.

Note that one example, we see the doubling on the right side starting almost at the top. In the other, it doesn't start until a few centimeters down.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3277 Posts
Posted 11/15/2015   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And one more possible Kiss Print. Australia 28a, showing doubling at extreme right side, from behind Emu's leg all the way to the bottom right corner.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 11/16/2015   08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just don't see this last one.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3277 Posts
Posted 11/16/2015   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The circled area is doubled / blurred. It is normally thick, horizontal lines. Not much, I know, but different than my other copies. (I'll make sure to highlight the questionable area in the future.)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4634 Posts
Posted 11/16/2015   12:25 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting how perception of doubled impressions and kiss impressions vary widely between countries and collectors. The (in my opinion) minor kiss impressions shown above would likely not even be collected (or in many cases even noticed) as U.S. material, other than as minor EFOs (Errors, Freaks, and Oddities). True double impressions and kiss impressions need to be MUCH more dramatic in order to command attention over here.

I say this not as a criticism, just as an observation.

I too collect double impressions and kiss impressions, on U.S. revenues, but given the printing anomalies and poor printing quality control of the era, they have to be much more apparent and dramatic to even be considered collectible here. Dry printings especially are frequently confused for double impressions or double transfers.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3277 Posts
Posted 11/16/2015   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revenuecollector ... all very good points. The only "true" double impression out of all of those I presented (in my opinion), is the first 2d Kangaroo. And even that one is probably a strong "kiss print" while the 6d Kangaroos are much weaker kiss prints, only on the right side.

I had thought the 2 1/2 d was actually the most interesting in the double impression and odd circularity in the middle of the stamp.

My last 1 1/2d King George was only meant to show that "kiss prints" could be seen on the King George's as well as the Kangaroos. Not really a pretty one, but I like to collect the odd and unusual.

In any case, your comments are well taken and the search moves on!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3277 Posts
Posted 09/21/2019   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BUMP to this much older topic. After several mailing problems, I have finally received the certificate for the first item in this thread, the Scott 45, ACSC 8c which I identified as a Double Print. Chris Ceremuga certified as genuine in all respects and extremely rare due to a "kiss print" or "double setoff". This is not quite the same description in ACSC, which is "double print on punctured OS only". But, at least I have a final decision on the matter.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3682 Posts
Posted 09/21/2019   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The holes were pinholes? LOL
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3277 Posts
Posted 09/21/2019   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The holes were pinholes?

He wasn't actually presented with the BEFORE so could only state that it was repaired. Another item I sent to him came back as a one-off, so that was unfortunate. Anyway, well worth the $93 I have put into this stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1754 Posts
Posted 09/21/2019   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neat item. Congrats.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05