Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Date/Id Australia 1p Green On Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,545Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3696 Posts
Posted 05/17/2015   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Partime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please help out ... I can't quite ID. I just got a cover, and the King George V 1p Green looked interesting, as I saw a dent on the bottom frame. My ACSC notes a variety called 82(1)d which shows a series of dents. Here is a closeup of the bottom area, and the dent is clearly under the Y of Penny.

The ACSC lists a variety of styles, with a caveat that this occurred, "... on a vertical strip of six stamps ... These appeared only in a late 1934 printing, and was quickly repaired."

The problem is that my dent does not match any of the varieties listed in ACSC. Here is a copy of the entire cover (Sorry, nothing on the back):

I wonder if some of our CDS experts can pull the date from this example? I did a tight scan, and some color manipulation, and the best I can guess is that this is a 1932 date, which puts it too soon for the variety. Any advise on the actual date? Thanks.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3056 Posts
Posted 05/17/2015   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Partime,

As you say this dent doesn't match any of the ACSC 82(1)d varieties so I don't see what the date has got to do with the identification unless you have a different constant variety in mind.

I suspect it's a one-off non-constant error.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31649 Posts
Posted 05/17/2015   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, most probably a piece of rubbish adhering to the plate.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3696 Posts
Posted 05/18/2015   01:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nigel.
Quote:
... unless you have a different constant variety in mind.

You know what ... that was exactly my thought, but you have come up with the most realistic response to my question. It is amazingly close to the same shape and size of all of the other dents listed, though. The hunt continues.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31649 Posts
Posted 05/18/2015   04:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In that case, it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility
yours "dent" would lie in the location on Plate 1 at either stamp 4,8,52,or 58

It is curious how the dents all lie in a vertical alignment under each other.

If one drew a diagonal line joining the dents, they progress downwards towards the right
excepting 82 de which is the anomally.
As if something heavy had been dragged across the plate.

Your "dent" fits snugly in that diagonal line.

Edited by rod222 - 05/18/2015 04:22 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,545Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05