Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Where To Expertly Repair Stamp?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
Posted 05/26/2015   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add valjean to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a rare stamp,but have large area of thin,is there any place that doing service of repairment

Yao
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
634 Posts
Posted 05/26/2015   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FCI Stamp Restoration Service restores philatelic material. I have never used them, so I cannot speak to the quality of their work.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
Posted 05/27/2015   02:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add valjean to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks.I just sent them a email..hope I can get their reply soon,,
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1732 Posts
Posted 05/27/2015   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add disi123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please upload an image...
Edited by disi123 - 05/27/2015 4:21 pm
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
Posted 05/27/2015   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add valjean to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi,disi123,can you tell me why
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
Posted 05/27/2015   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add valjean to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
like this type....

china 1897 red revenue $5 on 3c

Edited by valjean - 05/27/2015 9:28 pm
Valued Member
Australia
415 Posts
Posted 05/27/2015   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pagoda to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
like this type is a strange answer, could be anything. If it is a low value then most probably not worth the expense,

Pagoda
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1961 Posts
Posted 05/27/2015   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know of someone in Canada who does this kind of work, but he wrote to me that he doesn't take any responsibility for the stamps while they're in his care. I decided not to take the risk. Anyway, I can dig out his information if you'd be interested.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
Posted 05/28/2015   12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add valjean to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim,i just got respond from them,its FCI that OLDGUY mentioned.YES,its a canadian company..I have not yet ask them taht besides post lost, what if stamp goes destroyed or defected during in their working..

Oh,,,one more thing,they respond to me that in order to fill the thin,they have to remove full original gum for not letting the back side have different looking gum,,because right now they have not find out another way of doing so as they told me,,it seems like made sense..but since its a rare piece with 1cm thin,its still a pitty to remove the gum..
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2261 Posts
Posted 05/28/2015   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
its still a pitty to remove the gum..

They will re gum the stamp after they fill the thin.

http://home.golden.net/~hanssitt/SR.../ordrus.html

Pillar Of The Community
United States
526 Posts
Posted 05/28/2015   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hieronymus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
..but since its a rare piece with 1cm thin,its still a pitty to remove the gum.

Well, it IS a rare piece with a thin. THat's what it is. Filling the thin and regumming makes it a rare piece with a thin that has been filled and no longer has any original gum.

There's no way to get around the fact that it has a big thin. That's the pity. But this stamp cannot be made into what it is not. It has a thin. A thin cannot be removed, only disguised and only disguised to the casual observer. Dipping it reveals it for what it is: a stamp with a thin.

One might want to meditate for a while on whether and how disguising the fault makes the stamp "better."

This all assumes that the owner (but what about future owners?) would disclose the filled thin and regumming to any potential buyer. How much difference, really, is there between telling a potential buyer, "this stamp has an obvious big thin and some original gum" and "this stamp has an obvious big thin that has been filled and the stamp regummed"?

It seems to me that the only "advantage" to "repairing" this item would be if one planned to be deceptive.

Sure, it's painful to think of a stamp with a fault like this and lament, "if only it were whole." But it's not and nothing anyone can do can make it whole in reality, only in surface appearance.

edited for typo
Edited by Hieronymus - 05/28/2015 12:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
6512 Posts
Posted 05/28/2015   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
valjean...Send it to them..They are about a 20-30 minute drive from me...I will help if you have any problems getting it back..

Robert

Edited by wert - 05/28/2015 4:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 05/28/2015   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HungaryForStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the other hand, if repairing the thin ensures it will not be damaged again in future handling or it improves its appearance, maybe its worth it, to preserve the stamp itself (obviously not the gum). Depends on your point of view.

But I would be afraid the act of restoration itself is a risk (and wasted effort).
Edited by HungaryForStamps - 05/28/2015 5:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
554 Posts
Posted 05/28/2015   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add srailkb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand the logic behind certain restorations, such as cleaning, stabilization, etc., but don't understand paying money to decrease the value of an item (what you'd be doing by repairing & regumming the stamp IMO) without improving longevity or aesthetics in the process.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3654 Posts
Posted 05/28/2015   6:49 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it is nice to repair then the back of the stamp should have a nice big "R" on it.

If a stamp repairer puts an "R" on the back of the stamp they would be the ones I would choose to repair my stamp.
Valued Member
329 Posts
Posted 05/28/2015   7:26 pm  Show Profile Check matttodd1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add matttodd1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can see doing this to repair a tear, reattach a perf tip, or something similar, to help things from getting worse, but for this particular stamp, if it were mine, I would leave the thin as is. It seems to me that the stamp is worth more with original gum and the thin than it would be with no gum (which is what regum is worth if ID'd as such) and the thin filled.

Matt
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.66 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05