Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Kenmore Order Came In.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 3,737Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
Posted 07/25/2015   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Blackhorseson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Two came in, one was sold out. Not bad for 60 cents... Except for the $4 shipping.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8176 Posts
Posted 07/25/2015   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can not really believe that you used them. You can get the same stamps on E-bay, Delcampe or Stampwants ( bidstart ) and don't have to pay nearly the large shipping amount!

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 07/25/2015   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We need to work on the focus a bit.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
663 Posts
Posted 07/25/2015   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is nothing wrong with Kenmore Stamp Company. I have many fond memories of Kenmore approvals when I started collecting stamps. I'm sort of amazed they are still around after all these years. A survivor! Kenmore, along with Jamestown Stamps and H.E. Harris were the foundation for collectors 50 years ago, before the Internet, eBay, and all the on-line auction sites. If you don't want these companies around, all that is required is to not buy from them, thus there will only be sites like eBay, Delcampe or Stampwants along with the problems (frauds, scams, etc.) they unfortunately sire. At least with companies like Kenmore you could establish a personal relationship and dealing trust. Congratulations Blackhorseon. Nice pickups. You seem to be into the topical area of Trains.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
526 Posts
Posted 07/25/2015   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hieronymus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I just want to say, don't get discouraged, Blackhorseson. All the know-it-alls here have made their share of mistakes. Chalk it up to a learning opportunity and move on. Check out some of the threads on how best to buy stamps, US stamps, worldwide stamps, kiloware, individual or single stamps etc. After a bit of study time, make your next purchase one you'll be proud of.

Perhaps I missed it, but if you can describe where your collection is at right now--approximately how many stamps, which countries, pre-1940, 1940-1980, after 2000 whatever, perhaps some of the smart-alecs here will be kind enough to send you some good duplicates.
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
Posted 07/25/2015   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blackhorseson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mostly doing topics, both U.S. and world wide. For my boys, mostly trains, comic book superheroes, cartoons, etc. Me, history, old ships, ancient Egypt, Disney Aladdin, American baseball and football players, stuff like that. Been ordering the cheap used ones. Figured that is the best way to start.
Everyone has been extremely helpful to me here and I appreciate it. I have no idea about any of this so learning as I go and what I read on here.
Thank you everyone!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
526 Posts
Posted 07/25/2015   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hieronymus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For topicals, you might try doing searches in Stamps2Go. Shipping is only 1.00 from a single seller. Once you put something from one seller into your cart, there's a button you can click to search the rest of that seller's offerings. Do one topic at a time, two or three sellers who have more than one of your topic, then do another topic with the same seller(s) until you have enough to make the 1.00 s/h worthwhile.

But you can do the same thing on eBay or bidStart, really. Shipping varies more widely but the total number of stamps on offer is greater.
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
Posted 07/25/2015   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pk-short to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, Kenmore and Mystic are easier to use than eBay when looking for inexpensive single stamps. I have used then in the past to fill inexpensive holes in my albums. On eBay I would end up buying collections to find the same stamps, but if you need a single transportation coil, as example, they are a great resource. You have to look out for the shipping costs and wait until you have enough stamps to justify the fixed shipping costs.

Paul
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
Posted 07/25/2015   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blackhorseson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's why I got the catalogs. I can order stamps for my boys collections for fifteen to twenty cents each used. Not going out for an investment, just for collecting and fun. Same for me, not investment, just collecting for a hobby.
The catalogs I can pick what I want and order, not have to possibly outbid someone. Only fees are shipping and maybe a stamp to send out.
Unless someone dumps a load of stamps in my lap and says take them, I don't think I can do the kilowares or lots just yet.
Plus I found a couple of used 1890's stamps in a catalog for 35 cents each. May or may not be in crappy shape, but that's only 70 cents I'll be out if they're trash.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
513 Posts
Posted 07/25/2015   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with everything said. Also, if there is a local stamp club, you could look into that. You could get stamps like these from other members for pennies, or even for free. Clubs are great for beginners! Cheers.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
789 Posts
Posted 07/25/2015   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Blackhorseson, email me a postal address and I'll send you some trains that were included as a bonus in an eBay lot that arrived today. I only collect to 1940 and these are too new for me. :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
526 Posts
Posted 07/25/2015   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hieronymus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Actually, Kenmore and Mystic are easier to use than eBay when looking for inexpensive single stamps

True, but they are more expensive than bidStart and Stamps2Go, both of which permit you to search efficiently for indivudal stamps by catalogue number. It is not simply a choice between buying whole collections on eBay and singles at Mystic or Kenmore.
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
Posted 07/25/2015   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blackhorseson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Think with online sites, you need either a credit card or PayPal. I have no card, and PayPal screwed up my ašcpint somehow so I discontinued it. I always rather paid with a money order anyway. Just old fashioned, I guess.
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
Posted 08/02/2015   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blackhorseson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is worldwide cheaper than U.S.? Was thinking about doing a little bit of that also. Have a few topics narrowed down, but was wondering about it prisewise.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8176 Posts
Posted 08/02/2015   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Blackhorseson, I read where you collect mostly topicals. Have you considered the American Topical Association?

Peter
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
Posted 08/02/2015   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blackhorseson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Never heard of that. Thanks Peter! The topicals are mostly for my boys, but I just may collect as many U.S. and worldwide as I can. Lol I need to start working on mine, as soon as I can find a big lot really cheap.

Jeff
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 3,737Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05