Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Magnifying Device Do You Use.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 6,675Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United Kingdom
36 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   08:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bimbo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi.

I am interested to know what type of magnifying hardware
others use for their collecting.

My eyesight is declining and also I have cataracts in both
eyes, that sometimes present problems for me when inspecting
stamps in my collection.

I am thinking of buying a good magnifying product, one with
built in lighting so if you have a suggestion then please post
a reply. A pic would also be nice, if you have one.

Thanks for your help and experience on this subject.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2759 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   08:57 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Digital hand held microscope. You can take pictures and video with it. Cost less than $40.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Norway
1661 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Proper magnification and light is everything - and just as important it should be convenient to use.

For easy use I am using this most of the time:

http://www.lighthouse.us/epages/lig...cts/LU190LED

If more details are required I use this:

http://www.lighthouse.us/epages/lig...Products/FZ5

For the most difficult cases I use high resoultion scans, however this takes time and is thus awkward when there are many stamps to study.
I also have a device similar to Battlestamps doing a good job, however one is depending on having a PC/laptop on the desk as well...
I am dreaming about getting this stand-alone solution on my desk some day:

http://www.lighthouse.us/epages/lig...Products/DM3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
627 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jim6092252 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I buy every magnafying glass I see at yardsales an keep 1 in every room lol
Pillar Of The Community
United States
764 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I use this from DX. It works great and is only $4 with free shipping from China!

[30X 21mm + 60X 12mm Jewelers Loupes/Magnifiers with LED Light & UV Money Detector (3*LR1130)]
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use something similar to the FZ25 and it seems to be adequate for my needs
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For magnification, I use my elbow.

But what I find I really need is light. English translations of the bible often use the idiom 'his eyes dimmed' and, boy, does that ever nail it!

Back in the day, the US Navy - trying to systematize the selection of lookouts - did a study of iris diameter and found that the iris of an 18-y/o would open to a maximum of ~10mm, and that this dropped very rapidly with age ... eg, the iris of a 27-y/o was only opening to ~5mm, therefor admitting 1/4 as much light.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1948 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bimbo,

I use an Optivisor with optional LED lighting. Also, some of the magnifiers already shown above.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5578 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   1:43 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have tried a zillion different hand-held magnifiers, visors, jewelers eyeglasses, digital microscopes, etc. Any of them are fine if you are looking at "a stamp" for detail, but if trying to create a workflow for examining hundreds (or thousands) of stamps, it becomes a bit trickier.

I like to work on my stamps while watching TV, so visors and eyeglass attachments don't work. Handheld magnifiers mean working at a slow pace, and most do not have sufficient magnification for flyspecking.

Most USB magnifiers and microscopes have either poor camera quality, poor lighting, or too much digital interpolation. They also tend to have too small of a field of vision to see an entire stamp without moving something around.

High-end low vision magnification systems with HD cameras are ridiculously expensive.

I have yet to find the perfect system that allows hands-free operation with sufficient image clarity and size, and at a budget price.

If anyone is interested, I am selling the Merlin low-vision system I showcased in the thread below. I need something that is (1) less bulky, and (2) has better image quality.

http://goscf.com/t/31208
Pillar Of The Community
United States
678 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DJCMHOH to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased a 8x magnifier with LED light and measurement guide (in both mm and parts of an inch) made by Lighthouse from a well-known Australian dealer who is very much involved in that other stamp collecting forum. It is a great great piece of equipment and if that dealer has any more you could do no better than get one from him.

Product description is here http://www.lighthouse.us/epages/lig...oducts/LU151
APS #173088
Edited by DJCMHOH - 09/30/2015 3:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
764 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did I mention that the one I use has two different magnifcations (30X and 60X) and has an LED and UV light...and it is only $4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2055 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the Coil magnifiers, made by a firm in the UK. This one is the 7x version- Coil 8277 ATmax LED Illuminated Hand Held Magnifier; I also have a 5x.

The lens is very large and the LEDs very, very bright. Also, these magnifiers don't have an on-off switch that can accidentally drain your batteries. When you hold the handle, the LEDs light up and stay lit as long as you hold the handle. When done, putting the magnifier down shuts off the power automatically.

Pillar Of The Community
Norway
1661 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
shermae - I like that one! Never heard off it. Simply take it in your hand and the hunt is on - perfect! thanks
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2055 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My pleasure Blaamand, you are more than welcome.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... When you hold the handle, the LEDs light up and stay lit as long as you hold the handle ...

An old technology that has, finally, thankfully, made it to this application.

My newer BOSE table radios also turn on & off when (if I've got it right) you ground the micro current flowing thru the case.

Don't know how the circuit in your magnifier works, but I can say that it is brilliant.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United Kingdom
36 Posts
Posted 10/01/2015   07:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bimbo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! I am very impressed with your replies to my need and say
a big thank you.

I have opted for an handheld one from a guy called Glen in
Australia. It has 3 leds and is 10x magnification. It is very
similar to the one DJCMHOH gives a link to. There are others
in your posts that intrigue me, especially the one that lights
up when you pick it up. I will be checking all your suggestions
out and more than likely buy one or two others.

Thank you for your response and help.

Vince
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 6,675Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05