Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are Any Of These Precancels Considered Rarities?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 9,682Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

571 Posts
Posted 10/14/2015   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add blazenstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good Day to everyone.I have been going through my batch of precancels. I would like to know if these are considered rarities or just common precancels with limited values. Since do not have references for values on precancels , would any serious collector of pre cancels consider any of the below stamps for further evaluation? I did check the society website, and they do not provide exact pricing on them,and I went to check at reference sect. of library and do not have books about specifically on precancels. I do not want to base on eBay since many people sell in lots precancels without truly knowing if any of the stamps may be high value in manners. I have heard many vendors expressing they don't really collect them. A collector told me that certain auction houses have sold precancels other than the Scott 423A and C.
The first row of stamps are from 1914-16 Perf. 10's.
The second row have several from earlier time period.I really like the (1897-1903)George 1c deep green that looks like it That a handstamp expressing "Roxbury Cross Sts, Boston Mass." The George W 2 cent coil perf. 10 looks like another Electroplate, and the 4 George has an inverted precancel.
The third are postage dues.

There is a block of 4 stamps that I am interested in knowing about this one due to the marking below the precancel of the lines including on sides has (A) Atlanta (G)and also two initials below the lines. It appears that the precancel was done after these markings.Does this increase value since appears have two types of double printing?
Any information would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
571 Posts
Posted 10/14/2015   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blazenstar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry..the second row looks like it was cut off the last two stamps. Here is a better view:

Looking forward to hear from some of your responses. Thank you.

Blazenstar
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
1515 Posts
Posted 10/14/2015   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm curious to hear what those in the know have to say, but I understand that pre-cancels of this period from large cities are generally common and "rarities" are mostly from small cities.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
627 Posts
Posted 10/14/2015   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jim6092252 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
any perf 11 stamps from big cities are common and I have a few 279 boston stamps, the 11 cent ones you may be able to sell for a couple dollars because people need 11 cent stamps it seems but the precancel actualy lowers the value, not make it better,
Pillar Of The Community
571 Posts
Posted 10/14/2015   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blazenstar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are perfs 10's the first ones in row..
For example..This was sold at Seigels.. the 10c Orange Perf 10 at top, (562c) bold with Cleveland Ohio precancel.perf at top or bottom variety, only 12 singles and two pairs known in US. it was sold at Seigels Auctions in NYC for $20,000 in Rarities of the World, June 13,2009. and sold for $18,500..it has a 2009 with Philatelic Foundation certification..Please make sure you check your perforations on different stamps..smiles
Pillar Of The Community
1515 Posts
Posted 10/14/2015   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since according to Siegel there are only 12 known 562c's, just as a wild guess, even a precancel from a large city would make it valuable. I'd be willing to bet that hundreds of millions of copies of all your stamps were issued, putting them in a completely different league. But we should await the experts. Smiles.
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
Posted 10/14/2015   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JanS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quote: Those are perfs 10's the first ones in row..
For example..This was sold at Seigels.. the 10c Orange Perf 10 at top, (562c) bold with Cleveland Ohio precancel.perf at top or bottom variety, only 12 singles and two pairs known in US. it was sold at Seigels Auctions in NYC for $20,000 in Rarities of the World, June 13,2009. and sold for $18,500..it has a 2009 with Philatelic Foundation certification..Please make sure you check your perforations on different stamps..smiles

I am lost -- am I missing something here? I don't see a 10c Washington Franklin in your pictures or a Cleveland OH precancel at all - only an Atlanta 10c Prexie block from the 1930s.
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
Posted 10/14/2015   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JanS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The SG AG on your prexies is probably a date stamp with the initials of some big company from GA -- I forget the date but at some point the USPS insisted that big companies put their initials and the date of usage (e.g Aug 1939 or Feb 1952) on the stamps, especially the higher values, to prevent fraud. The companies were buying the stamps at a discount and the USPS did not want employees using them or selling them on to friends for personal mail.

Some "dateds" are expensive, but I defer to someone else as to your example.
Edited by JanS - 10/14/2015 3:25 pm
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
Posted 10/14/2015   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JanS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quote: I'm curious to hear what those in the know have to say, but I understand that pre-cancels of this period from large cities are generally common and "rarities" are mostly from small cities.

No, this isn't really true. Even the biggest cities may provide unusual Types worth a few hundred $ per stamp. Glancing at Philly in my catalog, I note: L-21 HS = $75; L-29 IHS = $200; L-34 IHS $150.

Considering that there are about 70 different Philly Types, that does leave a lot of cheap ones, but it illustrates that big cities do have rare Types.

Pillar Of The Community
571 Posts
Posted 10/14/2015   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blazenstar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was giving an example for individuals who may be interested..what should be checked are the following with top OR bottom of the stamp being a 10 perforations.

Flat plate plate Printing 1917-1919 perforated. 11is standard, however if measures are on Top OR Bottom as perforated.10 can be very valuable.
Scott 498 (g) 1 c green
Scott 502 (e)-3c dk violet type 11
scott 508 (c)-8c oliver blister
scott 511 (a)-11c light green
scott 512- (b)12c Claret brown
Scott 514-(a) 15 c gray
Scott 515 (d) c light ultra
Scott 517- 50c- red violet

1922-25- usually perf. 11 is standard, but to check Top OR Bottom perforations for perforated 10
Scott 554(d)- Washington 2c carmine
Scott 557 (c) Martha Washington 4c yellow brown
Scott 562(c) Monroe 10c Orange
Scott 568 (c) Niagara Falls
Pillar Of The Community
571 Posts
Posted 10/14/2015   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blazenstar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
oh I left out 557 (c) Teddy Roosevelt 5 c dark blue can also be a 10 top or bottom and standard is perforated 11.

That is why it is important to check the perforations. These stamps alone can be in the thousands used or mint with perforation 10..
Pillar Of The Community
571 Posts
Posted 10/14/2015   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blazenstar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Niagara Falls (Scott 568- 25yellow green) only requires one side to be a 10..
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2479 Posts
Posted 10/14/2015   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are all rather common precancels, no rare varieties here.
The additional overprint on the Atlanta block are SRC from Sears Roebuck.
Pillar Of The Community
571 Posts
Posted 10/14/2015   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blazenstar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So if you have these specific flat plate stamps with these perforations of 10 you know they are very valuable even with precancel of city and state on them.

These are also other precancels that are very high values worth in the thousands of dollars..Please check your precancels for these as well..I hope this information will be helpful too..smiles

1914 1c green with perforation 12x10, wmk. 190(USPS in single line Capitals) 20 are precancel with Quincy, Il (very scarce) or Chicago sometimes inverted
423b there are no precancels known for this issue.

423c-5 cent blue- Three precancels are known for this Tampa Florida(2). and Rahway NJ (1)

1914 1 cent green Watermark 190(USPS in single line Capitals)) perforated 10x12 1cent green 32 are precancels: Dayton Ohio(29), Buffalo, NY(2) and Elkhart,In(1)
Pillar Of The Community
571 Posts
Posted 10/14/2015   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blazenstar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you chasa..I have been looking at Seigel's Auction House with their stamps including others that were sold with perf. 10's in the past after friend informed me to double check all the pre cancels. It is a shame that many individuals sell the precancels at different websites without checking the perforations or specifically for some stamps with the specifics precancel city and state noted. I wrote that information for others to give them heads up not to be taken from certain people when selling their stamps or selling something without knowing that it truly may be valuable.
Have a great day!
Blazenstar
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 9,682Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05