Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

German Five Year Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 10/12/2016   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bdaniels2234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello I have a lot of German stamps and I've done some research on these and I know my uncle lived in Germany so I don't know if these are postal used or just the regular Otc kind. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
847 Posts
Posted 10/12/2016   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bdaniels2234.
Welcome to the forum!

From a quick glance, they all appear to be cancelled to order stamps (CTO's)

On the first series of the Five Year Plan (1953), look at where the "E" in "Deutsche" is relative to the "AT" in "Demokratische." The CTO reprints have the "E" over the "A." The originals have the "E" over the "T."
In the picture below, the original is on the left, a CTO on the right.
It's an interesting and sometimes frustrating series!
Dan

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member 223433 Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6669 Posts
Posted 10/12/2016   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not so sure as to what you call regular. But it looks like most if not all are used on the mails. Canceled to order stamps are usually recognizable by the gum that is still undisturbed on the back side.
Well, I bow to danstamps' expertise!

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 10/12/2016 2:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 10/12/2016   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bdaniels2234 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, thanks for the info I'm just starting to wrap my head around all these stamps I got! It's cool! Thanks Peter for showing ems how to get rid of the other post! I put it in the wrong forum! But yea I get the first edition thing about the letters but what about the denomanations? Are they changed on the later reprints? Some have bolder lettering than others but I don't see the letters off from one another too much to be the first edition. Thanks guys for all the help!
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 10/12/2016   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bdaniels2234 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With the two purple stamps 48 and the changed 40 denomanation, the lettering is bolder on the changed 40 one but on the 48 it's a lighter text not as bold.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
847 Posts
Posted 10/12/2016   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter,

I didn't check the cancellations but when the cancellation conveniently clips one corner, they are always suspect CTO's gum or not.

bdaniels2234,

Here's a good link if you want to sort out the series:

http://www.jaypex.com/Germany/DDR5YearPlan.htm

There are seven issues. They differ by printing and watermark.

Have fun!
Dan

Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28397 Posts
Posted 10/12/2016   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are a fun challenge (And I hope I have them correct)
All used (CTO's) Cancelled to order.
Corrections welcomed.
Hope this helps.

First Isolate all the stamp printed in "dots" use a magnifying glass..
Steiner Page 10

Isolate same designs in lines
Steiner Page 12

Isolate the Overprints
Steiner Page 13

Isolate the Lithography Issue
Steiner Page 14

Isolate The "Bruner Wolf" inscriptions at bottom of stamp (2 without)
Steiner Page 25

Lastly Isolate the re-drawn issues of 1959
Steiner Page 36.............You're done
Edited by rod222 - 10/12/2016 4:29 pm
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 10/13/2016   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bdaniels2234 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys thanks for all the replies and the help! The pics really helped are any of these worth money? And how can you tell a watermark I've seen you can look thru a light but I haven't found anything yet, but thanks for the help! In really getting into stamps my uncle left a collection behind and they were from when he was a kid and I got stamps from all over but it's cool finding out about them!
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28397 Posts
Posted 10/13/2016   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You'll see quotes from "worthless" to "minimal value"
Purchasing a decent catalogue will isolate the expensive stamps.

The real value lies in that place where you go, when you begin "mucking around with stamps"

It's peaceful, entertaining and instructive, all in one, if you get the bug, you'll know.

Watermarks are identified with a small black petrie dish and good quality lighter fluid.
a few drops on the stamp, and any watermark will appear (unless the stamp is heavily cancelled)

The usual warnings apply for flammable liquid, exercise care.
Good Luck.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
847 Posts
Posted 10/15/2016   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod's information is spot on. Some of the stamps can only be distinguished by watermarking.

During the Cold War many East Block countries issued cancelled to order stamps for sale to Western collectors for hard currency. They are very common. Even original mint not-hinged stamps in this series can be purchased for a nominal amount. (Unless you want to get into the weeds and collect minor variations in watermark. They can get costly).

Still, it's an interesting series. If you are a "completeist" like I am, collecting a country that no longer exists and doesn't issue new stamps can be fun too. You actually can complete a country (by "complete" I mean all the major catalog numbers)! With the exception of a few key issues DDR stamps are minimally priced as well.

Have fun!
Dan
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28397 Posts
Posted 11/06/2016   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

"Danstamps" 5yr Plan stamps completed. Thank you.

Received today.
Curious oddity : We both live in a place called Traverse.

Steiner Pages 10, 25, and 36 respectively.

Litho (dots)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
847 Posts
Posted 11/07/2016   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,
I'm glad the stamps arrived safely. It's always a good feeling for me to fill in those pesky holes and complete a set, especially when they aren't rare!

Not only do we both live in a place called Traverse but we also live in small towns.

Dan
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
717 Posts
Posted 11/07/2016   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never had any significant interest in these, but always have, and still do, identify two lots distinguished by "image composed of minute dots" and "image composed of horizontal lines".

Regarding watermark detecting, I was once daunted by it, until I just got stuck in. Any hard, dark surface is ideal, from a plate to the lid of a laptop, a black ceramic tile or a dark tin lid - lay the stamp face-down and if you can't see the watermark already, add drops of petrol-type lighter fuel on it. (It will then take a few mins for it to dry out.) Easy.
Valued Member
United States
37 Posts
Posted 11/07/2016   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps660 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice looking German stamps. It also is very interesting and educational.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28397 Posts
Posted 11/07/2016   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very nice looking German stamps. It also is very interesting and educational.

Nice words Stamps 660

Now I have finished, you are welcome to all my duplicates, if you want them.
Leave me a suitable postal address by messaging me here.

Of course, when you have mastered these, there are always the DDR "back of book" Official stamps,....another challenge.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
847 Posts
Posted 11/08/2016   12:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
there are always the DDR "back of book" Official stamps,....another challenge.

That's an understatement! The Scott catalog barely scratches the surface of DDR officials.

Dan
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05