Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Stamps Of Australia : On Steiner Pages.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,610 / Views: 130,670Next Topic
Page: of 108
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
714 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Rod.

I'll answer your questions on the World Modern channel here as it may have a more general interest here.

The BSAP forum is now (since earlier this year) on Facebook. This is a private Group which, to be viewed, requires:
1) a Facebook account
2) then membership in the forum group (but not membership in BSAP).
I personally have avoided Facebook like the plague (or COVID-19) but BSAP tempted me to join. True to my expectations, after a week I found myself suspended for a month. I can reply to topics but can't create new topics. Facebook's support is non-existent: they have laid off nearly all their support staff. I did, however, find a thing call Support Inbox which, surprise, surprise, told me that I have no violations, so . . .

The BSAP group as of today only has 93 members so they don't generate a lot of messages but I think you would enjoy it as a new source.

Regarding BSAP proper, I joined in November. It's a good time to join as, because of the current pandemic situation, their normal GBP17 annual subscription will cover 2 years. They have an excellent monthly Newsletter which, to my mind, is itself worth the annual (let alone the special 2 year's) subscription. Back numbers are available on USB disk. They also have members' pricing for their publications. (They have an Australian agent for their publications so I believe Australian members will also have a big saving on postage.) An application for membership can be found on the BSAP website - BSAP.org.uk. Don't forget the ".uk" otherwise you will get the British South African Police association.

Regards,

Frank.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31289 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Frank,
I won't be joining Facebook.
Found the facebook page

Acronym : BSAP = British Society of Australian Philately

(They have produced some valuable research in the past, and in print)

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31289 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Arose early for Phoenix auctions (3hrs ahead of Perth)
Not enjoyable
Could not have live bid box open, on top of auction page

Lost about every bid, left with a full wallet and little else.

My 5 bids (House estimates)
Estimate $10 Sold $34

Estimate $10 Sold $75

Estimate $10 Sold $95

Estimate $10 Sold $80

Estimate $10 Sold $38
Edited by rod222 - 12/03/2020 6:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1156 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aussie Al to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
G'day Rod

With the KGV 1 die 2 studies I have
Gordon Ward , Harold Bare , Sandy Forbes plus Bill Fiora 2016 . Oh plus the booklet stamps by L. Costantin & B. Fiora .
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31289 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Al,
without ranking these marvellous studies,
would you recommend Ward ?

As the HG stationery Catalogue $75, I think it prudent to save my money, and invest in the more expensive Brusden White.
(I still would have liked that monograph)

In my blissful ignorance, I thought Id get all those books home for below $250
It turned out more like $450.

Edited by rod222 - 12/03/2020 6:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1156 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aussie Al to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ward is ok but for me Sandy Forbes is the best .
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31289 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Victorian and Australian Tax Stamps.
My collection, remains unidentified "Govt Taxing Section" violet Opt
(Possibly Western Australian)

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2440 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

WRT the Government Taxing Section, this was the answer given to a similar question on the Aussie forum.

Quote:
The 1/- Colombo was used as a postage due stamp. Postage due stamps were withdrawn in 1963. This stamp would have been precancelled and given to the delivery postman to use as a receipt. The other major use as a postage due stamp was for business reply post to cover the postage and fee. Often the stamps are mint (CTO) and found in blocks from paying larger accounts such as the reply paid. Used from ca 1960 to 1985, so it should be found on postage dues. It was used at the Perth Mail Exchange. Other capital city GPOs did a similar procedure but they used a normal steel CDS...

Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Edited by PostmasterGS - 12/04/2020 12:32 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1156 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   01:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aussie Al to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod I sent a copy of the "colombo plan" with that cancel to Dave Elsemore at Ozrevenuse .

So if you go to his site click on "Stamp News Articles" for Dec 2010

He was hinting at a new discovery .

https://ozrevenues.com/
Edited by Aussie Al - 12/04/2020 01:11 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31289 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   02:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!
I have had that unidentified for 20 years.
You guys are amazing.
A German collector, finding that, I shake my head.

Thanks so much, Al, Postmaster.

Mr. Dave Elsmore is a major contributor to the "Cinderella Club"
to which I belong
I thought I had sent my block to all and sundry for ID
Edited by rod222 - 12/04/2020 02:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
714 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mr. Dave Elsmore is a major contributor to the "Cinderella Club"

. . . And of BSAP.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31289 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1928 Steiner Page 008.
CTO with tear top margin.

1931 Steiner Page 007A personal.

1935 Steiner Page 011B personal.

1935 Steiner Page 011C personal.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31289 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Topic has been locked
"Australia George V Penny Pinkish Paper"
http://goscf.com/t/18276 br /

From Steve's research

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31289 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
King George V Sideface 1d (One Penny) Surface Printed.
A detailed approach of the frailties of this stamp.
Author: D.S. Wallen O.B.E.
6 pages.
Pages 40.42,44,46,48. omitted as advertising.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31289 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 108 Previous TopicReplies: 1,610 / Views: 130,670Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 11.66 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05