Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Faridkot Stamp-Forgery Or Reproduction?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 2,806Next Topic  
Valued Member
15 Posts
Posted 04/08/2017   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Gwalior1889 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone!
I received this stamp in a bulk lot a while back, and am not sure if it is a reproduction or not. My main issue is that it looks a bit too "perfect", whilst most genuine issues have ink smudging, or other irregularities.

I'd appreciate any help you all could give! Thanks!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 04/08/2017   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a worthless reproduction.

The originals were handstamped in blue and were issued imperf. Here is a legitimate stamp (SG N3):

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
15 Posts
Posted 04/08/2017   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gwalior1889 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your help! I didn't even think about the perforation issue!
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
30119 Posts
Posted 04/08/2017   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The originals were handstamped in blue and were issued imperf. Here is a legitimate stamp (SG N3):

So, how did the person whom did the "reproduction" get such a pristine
and precise copy of the artwork, do you think

Something odd there.

Valued Member
India
376 Posts
Posted 04/09/2017   02:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
tonymacg

Quote:

This statement is not correct.

The stamp shown here is Faridkot 1882 1P pale bronze green Köppel and Manners type 10 revenue stamp (K&M 107) (size: 21mm×27mm) with perf.11½/12½.

The easiest way to identify Faridkot K&M type 10 revenues is that the top corners have "cordate" designs whereas Faridkot SG type N3 remainders have sunburst designs in the top two corners.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 04/09/2017   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let me be more precise: the stamp IS worthless (try selling it!) and it WAS a reproduction of the postage type.

The reproductions have been forged - though I'd hesitate to state that this stamp was a forgery, despite Koeppel & Manners.

The State Post Office was merged into the Imperial Post Office from 1887, but Faridkot continued to sell the reproductions (both handstamped in fancy colours and printed, perf and imperf) for some time afterwards.
Valued Member
India
376 Posts
Posted 04/10/2017   02:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bird and cockroach both have wings.
So, bird is a REPRODUCTION of cockroach.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2770 Posts
Posted 04/10/2017   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well; if I see this thing flying, for me it's a bird..

Valued Member
139 Posts
Posted 06/07/2018   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nl1947 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just came across this post.
Funny that anyone would think the near perfect reproduction is a genuine handstamp issue
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 2,806Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05