Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Me Your Highway Post Office Aka Hpo Covers

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 07/22/2009   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stamperdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Of course, I have picked up an interest in HPO covers. This cover would work in my Abraham Lincoln or Route 66 topical collections and is from my place of birth.

Send note to Staff

Rest in Peace
United States
102 Posts
Posted 07/24/2009   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ellasguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What do you mean by highway post office ?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9741 Posts
Posted 07/24/2009   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
they are mobile or travelling postoffices..they looked something like buses..in Guatemala they are called ambulantes !!
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9741 Posts
Posted 07/24/2009   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Darn it dude..i have one or two somewhere now I am going to have to dig them out and show them !!
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9741 Posts
Posted 07/24/2009   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, after going through 8 or 9 hundred covers I found this one !

Rest in Peace
United States
102 Posts
Posted 07/25/2009   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ellasguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK thanks. Great postmark.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1656 Posts
Posted 07/25/2009   03:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
G'Day all this is my only Mobil post office envelope/cover and like you Phil I had to look through all the covers to find it .

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 07/25/2009   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phil & Harry thank you for sharing. I was beginning to wonder if anyone had any covers to show.

ellasguy,
HPO's were meant to take the place of Railroad Post Offices, in fact the interior of the buses looked almost identical to the RPO setup at that time in the mid 1950's. Ironically, RPO service lasted 3 years longer than HPO service. The first HPO bus is on display at the National Postal Musuem in Washington D.C. There is some good info on their website regarding this short lived method of mail service.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9741 Posts
Posted 07/25/2009   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When we went to Washington 2006..the buzz was not to miss the postal museum...we just could not make it..we had like 3 days and nights in D.C. and with attending the show every day..the free show on the Capital lawn etc: etc: the time just flew..i took my wife on a trolley ride to see some of the main sites..but being Memorial Day weekend much was roped off for the parade....
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 08/21/2009   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phil,
We missed the show at The National Mall & Capital Lawn. We did see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington. It was very impressive watching the changing of the guard.

Does anyone have any other HPO's to show?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 12/30/2009   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was just given a stack of old "Covers" magazine from the early 1950's at my last club meeting. The first one I picked and flipped through had a multi page article about Highway Post Offices. There was even a listing of all the routes and offer to purchase a complete set of covers for each TRIP. I will attempt to scan it to share, once I've read the whole article.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2648 Posts
Posted 03/27/2010   3:01 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here's a few I've come across recently. Will
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6185 Posts
Posted 03/27/2010   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great covers everyone.
This is all new to me and I am learning.
Great topic and subject.

In this something specifically American or are we talking about Post Buses/Vans the world over ??
Can someone post some pics of the type/s of Vehicles used ??

Thanks.

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3722 Posts
Posted 03/28/2010   06:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow those are great

Great thread stamperdude and thanks for sharing everyone.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 03/28/2010   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
battlestamps,
I really like the cachets on your HPO's.

Londonbus1,
I started this thread with USA covers. But you are more than welcome to add any WW covers. You can see one of the buses on the National Postal Mueum's website. The interiors looked a lot like the RPO cars.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 06/22/2011   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just won 2 lots of HPO Missouri & Oklahoma covers on eBay. I'll try to make time to scan them and share. If I get a some I don't need I hope to sell them here. I picked them up for my Route 66 collection.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05