Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Australian Oddities

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 374 / Views: 24,531Next Topic
Page: of 25
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3450 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On more for your comments. This is Scott 28 (ACSC 96). King George V appears to be getting a thin spot on the back of his head. I can't locate in ACSC. Perhaps a one-off?

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3450 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And the last one before a short vacation. This is Scott 68, ACSC 92. There is an interesting line below the N in Pence. The bottom of the L is also a little suspect. I can't find it listed anywhere.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1111 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aussie Al to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Partime

Your three halfpence die 2 is plate 4L27 .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3450 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Al. Not listed in my 2014 ACSC, but now I know.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3450 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Identified by seller as Scott 45, I liked this one for some interesting features throughout. But, I need your help for a definitive ACSC identification.

It has the third watermark, and is a bottom left marginal copy, as seen by this through scan:

I don't see the break in the inner left frame about the words of value, but I do see some inner left frame lines missing. Note that there is also something going on with the horizontal lines between the O of Two, and the P of Pence:

Here is a slightly different view of the horizontal lines:

There also seems to be some extended horizontal lines at the bottom right, as seen below:

Does this appear in any ACSC catalog? If a Die I, this would be ACSC7. If a Die IIA, this would be ACSC8. I originally thought 8p, but then position 3R58 doesn't work out. Any ideas?
Edited by Partime - 03/29/2020 7:53 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29330 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Follow the route:

Does this stamp have the die l break? .....No then Die llA from plate 3
Yes...does the stamp have a break under the "E" of pence? ..No...then likely Plate 1
Yes...likely from Plate 2

Try 3R1
Break in the left inner frame, opposite "T" of TWO
Break in the 3rd shading line below Cape Leveque, between the Western Australian Coast and the left frame.

2d Grey Kangaroo and Map
Greg Pope Boston 2002

Note: this is a dodgy part of the 2d Grey. It could also be a varied "state" of the flaw, evidenced at 3R7, 3R58, 3L14, 3L16, 3L23, 3R52, 3R53.......
The Wmk bolts it to Position 1 I guessed.

Edited by rod222 - 03/29/2020 8:21 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29330 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve,
belay the last post, wiser minds (thanks David) have advised (Due to the Wmk) the position can only occur at Position 55 in any plate.
(Bottom Left hand Corner)
I'll peruse the Catalogue and get back to you.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29330 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve,
Notes: The apparent "flaw" between TWO and PENCE occurs randomly, on many stamps, the "words of value" exist as a replaceable plug, and sometimes, depending on the accuracy of the plug insertion, the ink is not
collected sufficiently to offer a clear impression. Hence the odd missing lines of shading.

Your stamp we have decided, could be either Left or Right position 55
There is nothing on your stamp to ideally locate it to one or another.
(Thanks to David, for guiding us through this)

I include a page from the Study quoted,
Note 1
The second "bullet" advice.
Note 2:
"The following errors are recurring"
Hope this helps
Edited by rod222 - 03/29/2020 9:32 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29330 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kangaroo and Map master Die.
With removable value plugs inserted..........

Plugs removed
Edited by rod222 - 03/29/2020 10:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3450 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod (and the unknown David), thanks for your incredibly detailed research and answer. Yes, based on your documents, it does appear to be Plate 3, either R55 or L55. I will file it away with those comments.

Stay safe.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3450 Posts
Posted 04/05/2020   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think this one qualifies ... but Oh so close! Scott 283, ACSC 328. There is a variety listed as 328f which states, "Top right corner of triangle blunted." The picture in my version of the catalog is below:

As you can see, the upper right corner indeed appears blunted. I found a copy that is close ... but

What I see is a slight doubling of the upper part of the triangle, which gives it the appearance of a blunted top right corner. So, not a perfect match. The entire stamp

Comments appreciated.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29330 Posts
Posted 04/05/2020   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve,
I would mount and pencil in remarks to your findings...

Edited by rod222 - 04/05/2020 9:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3450 Posts
Posted 04/05/2020   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will do. I love your attempt at a No Triangle version. That would be quite the find. Here's my attempt:
Edited by Partime - 04/05/2020 9:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3450 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This one may spark some interest in our Aussie friends. I picked this up from a local dealer that is emptying his stock. He correctly identified it as Scott #10, inverted watermark. As received, he was correct. No special varieties, nicely centered, and an obvious position piece, as noted by the through scan. ACSC 30a, if I read the catalog correctly. My 2017 version states AUS$4000.00 in mint condition. This is lightly hinged, and has some brown spots, unfortunately. Anyway, a good find in these worrisome days.

ACSC has a note: "Most used examples with watermark inverted are cancelled-to-order (No 30wb). The price for No. 30a is for postally used; One Large OS example has been reported." Now I'll have to look for a second copy ...
Edited by Partime - 04/10/2020 9:40 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29330 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pickup Steve.

Quote:
. No special varieties,

With respect, the scan is not perfect for flyspecking, scanning on a black background would be a beginning.
A lot of the flaws with this stamp, is hard to pick up from your offering.
It looks like 2L55
There should be two small breaks in the first line below "N" of ONE.
The rest I have, is speculative.
Edited by rod222 - 04/10/2020 10:13 pm
Page: of 25 Previous TopicReplies: 374 / Views: 24,531Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05