Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Crossing Postcards

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 4,542Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
Posted 10/27/2017   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add qaman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Have any of you tried post crossing, have any of you tried the site, what did you think?
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32846 Posts
Posted 10/27/2017   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I used it for 12 months, results were rather amazing, I had (and sent) postcards, from all over the world. Just lovely people.

Stopped to concentrate on my Album collections.
Give it a whirl..........

Good Luck.

Kaori was a vegetarian..her husband, not so.
Not sure how that worked

Always put the code on your Postcard you send........

Write interesting stories, notes, and where you live, your customs etc etc.

I received Postcards from a Bank Vice President in Tennessee, and a lady in Helsinki, and Northern Carelia.
You never know from whence they come.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 10/27/2017 9:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 10/29/2017   09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bakechad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting this.

It looks like a lot of fun.

Watching the site, the amount of activity is staggering.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1181 Posts
Posted 10/30/2017   04:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, thank you! I'd never heard of Postcrossing before. I just might have to try it out.
Valued Member
Ireland
256 Posts
Posted 10/30/2017   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried it for about a year. Started well but then it gets stale.
Of course individual experiences can be different but the initial "random" nature of exchanging soon leads to a lot of cards from the same "big" nations such as USA, Germany, Russia.
while there is a facility for direct swaps, I always thought of it terms of at least three different divisions of countries...say Category A (USA, Germamy, Russia) Category B (Belgium, Norway, Hungary) and Category C (Luxembourg, Fiji, Honduras). So the traders from the bigger countries tend to do better out of it than the folks in smaller countries.
There was actually a profile where the sole member in a very small country was pleading "do not contact me directly.
This imbalance seemed to me to the biggest flaw in the system
I also not that the majority of members seemed to be women so I wonder if Stamps is largely a male preserve and Postcards a female preserve.

While I still exchange postcards with a few people and I certainly buy used postcards at Fairs (recent finds include Ecuador, Gambia and Mauritius), I would not be tempted back into PostCrossing. There are some pretty good Facebook groups but the problem is always that imbalance between "easy" nations and "difficult" nations.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2844 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   2:11 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postcrossing is a nifty way to acquire postally used foreign stamps! While I do indeed collect postcards, modern ones usually aren't of much interest to me, but the STAMPS are!

So basically, you need a source for postcards (Massachusetts seems to be a dry state, so I use ones from Maine and Vermont and ones I have had made) and $1.15 postage each card. If you mention you collect stamps in your profile sometimes other members actually send your card in an envelope with some extra loose stamps inside!
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 11/25/2017   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bakechad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just started using Postcrossing. So far it's really good. I look at it as four different things, you can collect the cards, the stamps, the postmarks, and the stories.

There's a group on Flickr where people post the stamps from their Postcrossing cards, just another aspect the Postcrossing hobby:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/83889056@N00

Got this one from Germany the other day:

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 11/25/2017   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really enjoyed PostXing, the best part being the sheer effort people put into making their cards special. Unexpected, and lovely.

It is a wildly expensive way to collect Genuinely Postally Used ROTW stamps, however; if a dealer ever asked me for U$D 2 each, I'd scream!

Cultures differ, so there are going to be 'major' and 'minor' countries to collect; if you put all of the cards from the 'minor' countries into a nicer album, you can make your own justice.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2844 Posts
Posted 11/27/2017   3:49 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bakechad - I got one of the VW ones myself!

:-)
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 11/27/2017   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bakechad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postcrossing is the biggest site out there.

But there are two others growing rapidly:

Postcard United & PostcardHub

Valued Member
7 Posts
Posted 11/30/2017   01:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was active in Postcrossing for about 18 months. Loads of fun, and found some great people out there. I stopped participating to allow more time [and financial resources] to focus on my stamp collection. Although, my PC account is still there [inactive] and I have been getting the urge to re-activate the account . . . maybe for the short term postcrossing . . .

Back in 2013, Finland issued a set of stamps commemorating Postcrossing:

I have a sheet of these in my archives [purchased directly from the Finn PO Posti].

Other countries have followed suit and released their own Postcrossing stamps, i.e., Belarus, Ireland, Switzerland, Indonesia . . .

Here are some postcrossing blog posts on these and other postcrossing stamp issues:
https://www.postcrossing.com/blog/t...ossing-stamp

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 01/25/2018   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bakechad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Big Postcrossing score today. Out of more than 45 millions postcards sent, only 814 came from Guam and I got one today!

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 01/28/2018   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I once lived on Guam. Now, I know what I'd do if I ever went back. Cheers,
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
Posted 02/08/2018   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have enjoyed it so far, I was able to get in touch with a postcrosser in Cal. They sent me a medium flat rate box stuffed with postcards they have received over the years just for the postage. I have also started a stamp swap with a couple of stamp collectors in the Netherlands so its working out pretty well in that regard.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 02/08/2018   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bakechad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Received a nice card from Vladivostok.

On Google Maps it's only a 116 hour drive from Moscow.

Apple maps is a little more optimistic at 105 hours.

1 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OliviaMC90 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Everyone!

I hope you're all keeping well, I'm looking to get started with post crossing and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for postcards?

A friend of mine recommended the theartpost.co.uk and I have signed up but I wondered if anyone else had any more?

Thanks,
O
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 4,542Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05