Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sweat Box

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 7,694Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 10/06/2009   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add laswabbie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Today's APS Member's Newsletter included the following plans for building a sweat box. I thought I'd share it with you. BTW, the e-newsletter is just another of the MANY advantages of being a member!

An easy way to remove hinges that won't peel off the back of a stamp is by using a sweat box. You can buy them, but you can make one for free with stuff you have lying around the house. Find a small, clean plastic container with a lid and a clean (new is best) sponge. A cellulose sponge of the type you would use to clean the kitchen counter works just fine. Cut the sponge to fit in the container. Fill the container with about a quarter inch of tap water. Put the sponge in. Moisture will wick through the sponge, so you don't need to make the sponge wet. Put stamps in face down in a single layer on the sponge. Put the lid on and leave it alone for 24 hours. After a day, the gum on the hinge should soften sufficiently that you can use tongs to peel it away. Allow the stamp to dry before putting it into an album or stockbook.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
USA
867 Posts
Posted 10/06/2009   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sfgoda to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Greg. I've been lucky enough to never need one, but, if I do I'll remember your post.

Butch
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
522 Posts
Posted 10/06/2009   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ziggy9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mine is similar to that but I was worried about the water wicking up the sponge and soaking the stamps so I have a small plastic rack from a tupperware cold cut box to keep the stamps from directly touching the sponge. Tn fact my entire box consists of the tupper cold cut box and a sponge. works great!

Richard
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 10/06/2009   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
greg,
thanks for sharing. I almost posting that today too when I read it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
985 Posts
Posted 10/07/2009   02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was worried about the water wicking up the sponge and soaking the stamps

I was worried about that too. I keep the stamp away from the sponge with a little waxed paper.

One note: if the stamp is gummed, you need to check it periodically. 24 hours in a sweat box can leave you with a sticky mess.
Been there, done that..

Dan
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6745 Posts
Posted 10/07/2009   12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The sweatbox is extremely useful, but it will disturb ALL OF the gum on mint stamps. I really don't recommend it for mint stamps unless you absolutely positively have to remove something from the back of the stamp.
Edited by khj - 10/07/2009 1:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2664 Posts
Posted 10/07/2009   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks K we get readymade sweatboxes here :) but I will never be able to use them I think
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
985 Posts
Posted 10/07/2009   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I really don't recommend it for mint stamps unless you absolutely positively have to remove something from the back of the stamp.

Khj is correct. I should have been more specific in my post.

A sweat box also works if you have mint stamps stuck together. The same warning applies. You can wind up with a mess if you aren't careful. It will disturb all the gum. Practice on some throw away stamps before you tackle something of value to you.

If the stamps have really been mishandled and are really stuck together, soaking is the option I use.

Dan
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1159 Posts
Posted 10/07/2009   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sharksfan11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
couldn't you use the same thing to soak stamps off paper? If you needed to do just a couple of stamps at a time.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
Posted 10/07/2009   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add abutt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My beautiful little sweat box was my grandfather's. Never damaged a stamp with it. Wouldn't be without it.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 10/07/2009   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
couldn't you use the same thing to soak stamps off paper?

You might be able to Shark - depending on the glue used and the thickness of the paper, etc.

I'm not sure why you would want to unless you have a stamp that is notorious for fading or running when soaked.
Pillar Of The Community
2664 Posts
Posted 10/08/2009   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
running what do you mean running?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1159 Posts
Posted 10/08/2009   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sharksfan11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can someone post a picture of what one looks like?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
558 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

He means that the ink runs (bleeds) and could discolor other stamps if you soak them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
724 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   12:43 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Some older issues were printed with fugitive inks that would literally 'run' off the stamp were it to be immersed in water.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
724 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   12:48 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can someone post a picture of what one looks like?

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 7,694Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05