Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Strong Content - Well, This Probably Explains His Resignation From The Aprl...

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 18,373Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United States
770 Posts
Posted 03/27/2018   10:05 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

*** Edited by Staff - Switched Text to Screenshot ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4414 Posts
Posted 03/28/2018   12:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steven Zwillinger was president of the American Philatelic Research Library.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2008 Posts
Posted 03/28/2018   09:48 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Always sad to see something like this. Without knowing exactly what he is accused of, it's probably unfair to indulge in speculation. I don't know and have never met Steve, have at times enjoyed his column in the ASDA magazine on exhibiting.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3051 Posts
Posted 03/28/2018   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The charges are clear enough. I had seen the post on the other forum that he had been suspended as an APS member which prompted some to search the public records.

Al
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
Posted 03/28/2018   2:06 pm  Show Profile Check ddaann's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ddaann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please be careful, folks. Charges are not the same as convictions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
515 Posts
Posted 03/28/2018   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Newby Stamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He hasn't been convicted by the courts yet no matter how bad the read is. If he is that bad then defame him after courts if convicted. Inonscense till proven guilty.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1903 Posts
Posted 03/28/2018   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I read the writeup in Linns. It said nothing about why the quick resignation. They could have been a little more forthcoming.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1490 Posts
Posted 03/28/2018   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Linn's appears to have a conscious editorial policy not to state anything negative about persons in the hobby. The USPS or other postal agencies as disembodied entities, yes, but never hobby leaders.
Learn More...
9501 Posts
Posted 03/28/2018   7:08 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Linn's appears to have a conscious editorial policy not to state anything negative about persons in the hobby.

Fixed

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
770 Posts
Posted 03/28/2018   7:23 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No one here has said anything about Steve being guilty or has defamed him in any way. Clearly, 'innocent until proven guilty' applies here just as with anyone charged with a crime before the outcome of a trial is known.

As an FYI, as reported on another forum, the charges, as defined by Maryland law are:

"Second Degree Rape

Second degree rape is defined as engaging in nonconsensual vaginal sex with another by force or the threat of force. In general, this is punishable by up to 20 years in prison. However, like first degree rape, there are instances where the penalty can be increased.

If you are over the age of 18 and the victim is under 15, you could face a mandatory minimum sentence of 15 years.

Third Degree Sexual Offense

This crime is defined as engaging in sexual contact without the consent of another and using a dangerous weapon in the commission. It can also apply if the victim is mentally defective or under 14 years old where you are over 18.

The penalty for this offense is up to 10 years in prison."

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3051 Posts
Posted 03/28/2018   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do think his personal info should be removed (age,address,etc) although they are now public record.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6430 Posts
Posted 03/28/2018   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the point of this thread.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1168 Posts
Posted 03/28/2018   11:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
post deleted. This Thread should be removed from SCF
Edited by Hal - 03/28/2018 11:51 pm
Valued Member
429 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   01:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I fail to see how salacious stories serve the stamp collecting community. Discussing the business ethics of dealers has merit, how does this thread benefit readers? Please lock this thread and move on, I am disappointed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
770 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   01:18 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The reason? Perhaps Ken Lawrence put it best when he discussed the anticipated failure of 'Linn's' to report the full story of Steve's resignation:

"If not, that will be a double disservice. Besides practicing uncritical press-release journalism, Linn's will have failed to inform readers that APRL responded promptly exactly as it should have, and that APS responded promptly exactly as it should have, both acting decisively to uphold their honor and not to favor an influential insider. The facts that forced Steve Zwillinger's resignation were not good news, but the fact that both organizations acted promptly and correctly is good news, and all the more so in the context of seamy stories about coverups in similar situations that have become so familiar in national news."
Learn More...
9501 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   04:34 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We have received several complaints on this thread. In these cases, I have to put my personal opinion aside and consider the entire community.

So here is my Moderator opinion. So far there are no personal attacks, the posts have been factual, and the information is a matter of public record. All the information is the same that you would find in a newspaper. The information is also relevant, many of us paid APS dues and have a right to know where our money is being spent. While some of the information is distasteful, is it philatelic/APS news. So far, no one has flamed the man and several have correctly pointed out that 'innocent until proven guilty' applies here.

So in my judgement, I am not locking or removing this thread. This decision was not taken lightly and I hate that I might be disappointing some members. I know that not everyone may agree with this decision but there is still recourse. Folks feel strongly about this they can ask the forum admin (Bobby131313) to review and revisit my decision.
Don

EDIT - I have modified the thread title to note the strong content.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 18,373Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05