Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

R189 Question - Recent Purchase On Ebay Nystamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 985Next Topic  
Valued Member

81 Posts
Posted 07/18/2018   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Redtail to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Should the "50" look printed over the cancel? Purchased on eBay and was delivered end of last week. Deal NYStamps says it looks right to them (will refund) but does not make sense to me but I'm not certain and would hope NY Stamps would know something that I'm not sure?

thanks for any help and here is a pic
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8291 Posts
Posted 07/18/2018   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am always puzzled why anybody deals with NYStamps. They buy bulk lots at auction and list everything as it comes out of the pile. Nothing is checked for accuracy. They could care less until they get caught. One of the SCF experts can speak to this stamp. I am speaking in general terms. NYStamps = Run
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4583 Posts
Posted 07/18/2018   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You need to research NYStamps very carefully. Throw all of your assumptions out the Stamp Den window. Read their bottom line stamp description notice and assume the worse. What NYStamps knows can hurt you.

https://www.stamp-collecting-world....ps_1898.html

Did they get it right this time? I cannot say. Can you?
Edited by redwoodrandy - 07/18/2018 8:28 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35477 Posts
Posted 07/18/2018   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion:
That is not an image from a scan, rather a magazine?
Ergo, one cannot make a fair judgement.
Valued Member
81 Posts
Posted 07/18/2018   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Redtail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
any better?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5442 Posts
Posted 07/18/2018   9:15 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You should be able to tell definitively by examining the stamp under a high-power loupe.
Valued Member
81 Posts
Posted 07/18/2018   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Redtail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "50" looks to be printed over the cancel to me using my 30x21mm loupe.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5442 Posts
Posted 07/18/2018   9:37 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing it's an optical illusion, as the underlying stamp was never issued without the overprint. R178, the $50 denomination without the overprint is a distinctly different color.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5442 Posts
Posted 07/18/2018   9:50 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just checked an example I recently purchased. The high-resolution flatbed scan (shown first) makes it look like the overprint is on top of the cancel, and even under a 12.5x loupe it looks that way.

So I pulled out the USB microscope and you can see the violet ink crossing over the black so the cancel came second. It's hard to tell with black ink sometimes, since it obscures both things under and on top of it.

You'll likely need to click on the images to view them at actual size.

Pillar Of The Community
4350 Posts
Posted 07/18/2018   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cut cancel is clearly done after the "50". The sequence of ink application can often be tricky, but I see no reason to doubt this being ok.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7934 Posts
Posted 07/20/2018   12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's fine. It's all but impossible to tell which was applied first using even a 20x glass. The VSC6000 can do it, it's one of the reasons that expertising groups use one when necessary.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 985Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05