Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New US Statue Of Freedom $1, $2, And $5 Denomination Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,572Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5234 Posts
Posted 07/27/2018   8:40 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I normally don't pay a whole lot of attention to new issues, as I have a mountain of face postage to use up and I don't collect new issues. I bought my share of inverted Jenny sheets and I love the "Classics Forever" designs and still use those.

However, I just received an APS circuit franked with two of the new Statue of Freedom high-denomination stamps, and these are gorgeous!

I love the vintage designs, and the denominations being in a reflective metallic optically-changing ink is quite cool. Depending on the angle you view the numerals from, it can be a bright metallic gold, a metallic copper, a bronze green, or flat grey (to my eyes anyway).

I spent forever trying to get scans and camera shots to capture the metallic ink, but could not get any good images. On all scans, they show up flat pastel color; same with all cellphone pics. About the closest I got was the picture below with flash on, that shows the numerals as a quasi-metallic copper. I wanted to get them at the metallic gold angle but finally gave up.

Gorgeous stamps in hand though!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
798 Posts
Posted 07/27/2018   10:04 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Thanks for posting these - I wasn't aware of them. Like you, I have purchased quantities of the Inverted Jenny and Classics, and regularly use them on outgoing mail.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
450 Posts
Posted 07/27/2018   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dan,

Nice error cover you have there!!!

Did APS really spell their name wrong?!?!?!?

Edited by StateRevs - 07/27/2018 10:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5234 Posts
Posted 07/27/2018   10:56 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hah! I didn't even notice that. Oy vey.
Valued Member
Learn More...
450 Posts
Posted 07/27/2018   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started to doubt myself...

Had to look it up and verify the spelling before I posted and looked like an idiot.

On that front I don't need any help
Valued Member
Learn More...
450 Posts
Posted 07/27/2018   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay it!

Should be worth $500 - $1,000 in the eBay la-la land thought process...

You are welcome!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6198 Posts
Posted 07/27/2018   11:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In all probability, the rubber stamp maker messed up.

So, If you bring the misspelling to the APS's attention, they can get their corrected rubber stamp more quickly...thus making this cancel more collectible.

If you put this item up on eBay, using the words "scarce" and/or "rare" is a must do.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6627 Posts
Posted 07/28/2018   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The $5 has been reperfed and the $1 has a sealed tear. Full disclosure.
Valued Member
Learn More...
450 Posts
Posted 07/28/2018   12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let's see:

"Incredibly interesting, rare and unsearched. Clean and highly unusual. Great potential. Great addition! Fascinating. Scarce and clean. Unusually clean with high retail value. A unique opportunity with exceptional potential; rare gem!"

Anyone care to guess which of our favorite dealers provided inspiration for the above? He definitely has a "fingerprint" or "style."

For what it is worth - it is mostly cut and paste....
Edited by StateRevs - 07/28/2018 12:22 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32819 Posts
Posted 06/27/2021   01:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumped Thread, last post 2yrs ago.

Agree, a handsome stamp.
I was thinking my value tablet was faded, see here it is reflective!
Sc #5497 2018
Microprinting = "FiveFiveFiveFiveFive"

Valued Member
France
165 Posts
Posted 06/27/2021   04:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add naufrago to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi guys,i have received lately envelopes from the APS and seems like they changed their robber stamp now is not any longer American Philatelic Society but American Philatelic Ctrl,take look

and here is a knew high value stamp of $10
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4467 Posts
Posted 06/27/2021   05:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The American Philatelic Ctr./American Philatelic Center is the home of The American Philatelic Society.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1168 Posts
Posted 06/27/2021   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The illiterate Pennsylvanians working for the APS believe in phonetics... where the spelling of the word "PHILATELIC" is "PHILITELIC".

So, everyone, welcome to the world of "PHILITELEE". If your a member of the APS, you are now all "PHILITELESTS"!...and us illiterates will remain "PHILATELISTS."

OH...me...I live in the land of OZ!
Valued Member
31 Posts
Posted 06/28/2021   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris s to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought two panes of these stamps - some to use and a pane of each denomination for my collection - great stamps and the intaglio on the panes extends beyond the perfs to create a nice piece of artwork. If you ever find imperfs of it, you will have something with a nice premium.

Anyway, don't buy them yet on the secondary market as you can get these from the USPS with a $1.30 shipping cost - https://store.usps.com/store/result...estid=340234

Also on the USPS site, select when shopping Stamps (not Collectors' Zone) and to the left look for the filter for stamps values and chose those over 55 cents, the $10 stamps will come up as well as the Heads of Freedom. Here is alink - https://store.usps.com/store/result...vgni1Z9y93lv. Main drawback of all are sold in 4's or panes. To avoid this I purchased the 2019 and 2021 non-machinable butterfly stamps from a local post-office, a few of the discontinued ones from Champion Stamps in NYC at a small premium.

Also for those of you who like the $10 stamps and the Priority Mail Express stamps but don't want to spend $100 or more for multiples, look out for the High Value Stamp Packet bundle the USPS offers annually in the Fall and sells into the following year. It is buried in the Collector's Zone section of the shopping section. Unfortunately all they have is a bundle for high value stamps from 2020 - Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express and International stamps. Still you get singles and don't have to be stuck with a set of 4 or pane of them.
Link - https://store.usps.com/store/produc...ket-S_992006

Hope these links save you money and provide enjoyment in discovery some hidden beauties.

Edited by chris s - 06/28/2021 7:41 pm
Valued Member
United States
47 Posts
Posted 06/29/2021   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ive been looking to buy some of the Liberties from the USPS site but I need to save some do-re-mi. Thanks for posting.
Joanne
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,572Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05