Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Japan Revenue Stamp 1963

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 713Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
192 Posts
Posted 10/28/2018   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Turtle2900 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A nice receipt from my grandmother's purchase in Kyoto, Japan.

Thought it might be of interest to some.

Maybe Rod222 will reply He seems to answer all of my inquiries.

Have a great Sunday Stamp Day.
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 10/28/2018   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

In use from 1948 is all I have. (Shunyu Ishi)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/194820140200?rt nc amp orig_cvip true amp nordt true target _blank rel nofollow 194820140200 /a -786.jpg" border="0" style='cursor:default' onClick='doimage(this,event)'>
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 10/28/2018 6:43 pm
Valued Member
Japan
236 Posts
Posted 10/29/2018   08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Turtle2900, nice memory from the good old 60s !

This is a 10 Yen Japanese general revenue, New Showa, 2nd Series, issued March 1st, 1954. Perforation 13 x 13.5. This series consists of 25 revenue stamps of face value from 5 yen to 20000 yen, and including varieties in perforation and color.

The major catalogue listings are as follows;

- Shimomura (1981) : Showa revenue, 2nd issue (Chrysanthemum & Cherry series), 10 Yen blue, 1954.4.1 Catalogue No. 404
- Barefoot (2006): Japan general revenues, 1954 First Blossoms series, 10 Yen blue. Catalogue No. 140
- Hasegawa (2016): General Revenue (continue), New Showa, 2nd series (1954-1974), 10 Yen blue, 1954.4.1. Catalogue No. 503

Below is an example of 20 Yen blue-green and 30 Yen crimson on piece from the same series, together with 100 yen orange from the next series (New Showa, 3rd Series).

- Hironobu
Valued Member
Japan
236 Posts
Posted 10/29/2018   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Your beautiful used on piece is a part of a receipt of 6300 yen from Takashima-ya department store in Kyoto. I still enjoy shopping there when I visit Kyoto !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takashimaya

- Hironobu
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 10/29/2018   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Hironobu, (6300 yen = $80 Australian)
and for the preceding information. Saved.

Have we covered what looks like "sewing machine" cancels before?
I cannot recall.
I have all my revenues identified, but they are in a digital mess at the moment.

Would you have information on the example below ?

Edited by rod222 - 10/29/2018 6:54 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
192 Posts
Posted 10/29/2018   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing information Hironobu. Thank you very much.
Valued Member
Japan
236 Posts
Posted 10/30/2018   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

I remember the "sewing machine" cancel discussion elsewhere in this forum, but haven't contributed yet. I found some examples of general revenue, Meiji white paper, with similar "sewing machine" cancellation (apologies for the messy hinge remnant).

The 10 sen, 50 sen (including your example) and 1 yen stamps are cancelled at Osaka Health Science Institute. I do have multiple examples of these stamps, so it seems that this type of cancellation was commonly used at the Institute (at least).

The 10 yen is cancelled at a tax office (location not known due to unclear impression of the cancel).

I would love to find a complete document with the revenue stamp and this very unique cancellation...

- Hironobu
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 10/30/2018   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Wow!
that is some nice detective work, bravo.
Never thought that would be solved.
Will make a nice album page.

The canceller must have been some sort of pinned print roller.
A unique machine.

Valued Member
Japan
236 Posts
Posted 11/01/2018   06:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod and all,

Found another topic about sewing machine puncture cancel on japanese revenue stamps. This example had a readable cancel of Tax Office. Now its time to seek for other cancels other than the tax office or health science institute !

http://goscf.com/t/60620

- Hironobu
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 11/01/2018   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks Hironobu.

Just an interest Item for you...............

From the History of Medicine Collection:
Japanese Ex-libris Stamps
Near bottom of page .............

https://liblog.mayo.edu/category/feature-articles/
Valued Member
Japan
236 Posts
Posted 11/01/2018   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod,

Wow those Ex-Libris hand stamps are so charming and attractive ...

They use very specialized font for official chops called "Ten-sho" font (Ten-sho-tai). It is still commonly used in Japan, and you can even order your own customized chop via Web.

Sorry to go somewhat off-topic, but some of the chop shops on Web do provide preview of the customized chop. Here's how mine would look like (it says "chop of Hironobu Unesaki").

- Hironobu
Edited by unechan - 11/01/2018 08:12 am
Valued Member
Japan
236 Posts
Posted 11/01/2018   08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod and all, back to topic.

I found that the cancellation of your 50 sen revenue could be far much more clearly distinguished by processing on retroReveal. One of the filter applied eventually erases (filters out) the carmine portion and leave the black ink. Impressive tool !

- Hironobu
Edited by unechan - 11/01/2018 08:26 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 11/01/2018   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one Hironobu.

The only thing left, is to somehow identify the machine that carried out these peculiar markings.
I should think is was something like a cash register, where one places the article in a chromed slot, and the machine creates the action.
I have a gnawing cloudy memory of a similar machine, when I was working as a kid in a Vehicle parts store, a big heavy monster of a machine, that did not puncture, but printed a violet receipt onto the ticket / order.

Valued Member
Japan
236 Posts
Posted 11/02/2018   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

What I have noticed is that the fonts are so well preserved; detailed serifs, overall proportion of the font, straightness of the lines etc. I reckon this may not happen with a roller type cancel (which I have imagined so far), which often distorts the fonts. We cna argue that the roulette teeth helped to hold the roller straight, but I think your guess of some sort of dedicated cash machine-like device sounds definetly more plausible.

- Hironobu
Edited by unechan - 11/02/2018 10:26 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 11/02/2018   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hironobu,
yes, I was thinking along the lines of this type, (one cranks the handle to advance the paper through the print station)
Most probably, we shall never know.

https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/3003M/lots/420

Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 713Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05