Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 8 Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,542Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1039 Posts
Posted 11/27/2018   05:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jaxom100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have just finished uploading all of Dudley's plate 8 stamps. There are 67 different plate positions for left pane, 97 total on left pane, and 77 different for right pane, 118 total on right pane, for a total of 215 images for plate 8. Much thanks to Dudley for allowing me to post his images. You can view them at the link below, then select plate 8. Have a look. Maybe we can impose on Don to collate the images on the overall sheet.

http://www.stampsmarter.com/feature..._Plates.html

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
9925 Posts
Posted 11/27/2018   08:18 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2463 Posts
Posted 11/27/2018   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. Thanks to all.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
797 Posts
Posted 11/27/2018   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Terrific resource. Thanx!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
733 Posts
Posted 11/27/2018   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet! Good going ya'll!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1544 Posts
Posted 11/27/2018   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, jaxom and Don!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1039 Posts
Posted 12/10/2018   05:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found a left pane of plate 8 in the Ashbrook photos requiring some assembly and colorized. Actual image is approximately 600dpi.

I wonder why Neinken did such a poor job plating plate 8 when he owned this full sheet of the left pane.
I filled in the missing Neinken drawings for plate 8 left with Ashbrook photos.
Edited by jaxom100 - 12/10/2018 06:25 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1544 Posts
Posted 12/13/2018   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a nice top-row strip on cover, 5-6-7R8.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2463 Posts
Posted 12/15/2018   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is 41-42-43R8.
Curl on pos 41 and also 43.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1039 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is 11-13L8 strip of 3 with a very sharp impression.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1035 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   11:21 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few of my Plate 8's:
4-5L:

Love this impression of 1L8:

Nice copy of 7L8:

I have several copies of 10L8-- this one without the center line- you can just make out the dot to the right of Franklin's nose on the edge of the perf tip:

10L8 with the center line:

Beautiful impression of 13L8:

I also have several copies of 8R8, beautiful DT in POSTAGE:

Bad copy of 43R8, with the A-G curl above POSTAGE:

Thanks for posting-- Ray
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2455 Posts
Posted 04/01/2019   04:55 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks first 10L8 is something else. Is that 8R8 the one on piece from a carrier cover?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1544 Posts
Posted 09/27/2019   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is position 85L8 (dot on shoulder; blur in E of POSTAGE). Of particular interest is the Feb 18, 1861 Mobile Ala cancel, making this an early Confederate usage (Alabama was one of the seven original states that formed the Confederacy on Feb 8, 1861).

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2463 Posts
Posted 09/28/2019   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
dudley - very nice.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
281 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am going to try to revive this thread because, as with all of the other 1 plate threads that txstamp and jaxom100 have started, having discussion for each plate kept together makes the threads a very useful educational source. For other newcomers to the plating world who may not have the links to them all, here they are: http://goscf.com/t/64965

I have two stamps that I believe belong to plate 8. If I'm correct, the first one is position 80L8, and the second is 40L8. I'm not sure that I would ever had been able to plate the 40L8 if it hadn't been for the discovery I made while trying to plate my 80L8 example. Examining the latter stamp, I knew from the width of the center line and from the fact that it was a relief "D", that the position had to be either 80L8 or 40L8. It was a questionable match with Doporto's 80L8 example, so I looked for other plate 8 examples on Siegel's site. I found a block 29-30,39-40L8. It had two large blurs in the right margin on the 40L8 stamp that weren't on my example, so I deduced that mine must be position 80L8. I also recognized that the same distinctive blurs were on my other stamp that I could now plate to position 40L8.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1544 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
widglo, I believe you are correct regarding 40L8. Here is a copy that I have plated to this position showing the same blurs:

However, the other stamp is not from Plate 8. It is 40L7 (the characteristic Plate 7 mark under the O of ONE is clearly visible). Compare the image for this position in the Doporto archive.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,542Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05