Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Good Beginners Learning Books?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 2,170Next Topic  
Valued Member
USA
149 Posts
Posted 03/04/2008   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jser to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering about any books you guys would recommend for just learning all about stamp collecting basics and such. An example would be the stamp collecting for dummies book.

List your favorite and tell a little about what you find nice about it.

Jser
Send note to Staff
Edited by Jser - 03/04/2008 12:44 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3888 Posts
Posted 03/04/2008   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good point jser

I've been struggling with a few things and am in need of a good guide to talk me through them. If I find one before you do I'll let you know.

Dianne

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Pillar Of The Community
USA
1881 Posts
Posted 03/04/2008   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nr-notrare to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Jser.....

Two come to mind.....First, for US material I would suggest Scott US Specialized, the front section has information about many aspects of how to judge a stamps condition and value. Even a catalog a few years old would give you access to the information without the high cost of a new catalog.

Second....Linn's Stamp News weekly always has something interesting concerning the hobby. My favorite pages are the readers questions and opinions. Even after 50 years of collecting I feel as though I learn something from just about every issue. I also like the way a lot of the articles are what I call "news you can use" such as how to distinguish the varieties of new issues like the Forever stamps or the new Flag stamps long before Scott lists them in the new catalogs.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3888 Posts
Posted 03/04/2008   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tom

As usual you are of great assistance.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Valued Member
USA
149 Posts
Posted 03/04/2008   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jser to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have the scott specialized catalog that you mentioned and that is helpful.

thanks for your input tom!

And anyone else who has a favorite "reference" book keep them coming.

Jser
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9748 Posts
Posted 03/04/2008   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jser is there any chance you have a stamp club or stamp dealer within travelling distance of your home ? I have been a stamp collector since 1949...i probably spend as much time reading about stamps as I do working on them....i get The American Philatelist, El Quetzal and Global stamp news at home...at our stamp club I pick up the Linns and Scotts Monthly magazines the folks read and bring in to distribute...with 60 years of study I do not dare rate myself more than an intermediate collector..there is so much fascinating information it would take many lifetimes to get a handle on...i think others would agree..the more you dig the deeper it gets..good luck !! phil
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2502 Posts
Posted 03/04/2008   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Minkus used to publish A Guide to Stamp Collecting by Prescott Holden Thorp. I believe it was included in their beginner's kits and sold separately, as well. It's 96 pages, about 8-1/2 X 11 inches in size, and is very comprehensive for a guide I would assume was aimed primarily at kids. Wouldn't be surprised if, maybe with some patience, you could pick one up on eBay.
Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 03/04/2008   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a number of books in addition to those already mentioned. You might find one or more at your library. Here are some to choose from: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...3;collecting - Even the Dummies book is there!

As you get deeper into collecting I would recommend you join the APS or another similar organization. In addition to supporting the hobby, by joining the APS you will get access to an amazing list of services including the best philatelic library in the world, a sellers/buyers site, circuit books, a very informative periodical and much more.
Edited by laswabbie - 03/04/2008 4:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9748 Posts
Posted 03/04/2008   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LASwabbie...i agree when a person is ready...the APS is a super organization...Bellefonte and State College are exactly 300 miles from me..have been to the Old APS Hq twice and to Bellefonte once...we went for 2 days each time and the time just flew...what a choice...to either sit in the Sales division and have trays of circuit books delivered to you or spend the time in the research library...the folks that work there can not do enough for a member...i get the monthly circuit books for our club....17 or 18 books..i do not mind doing the paperwork etc because I get first dibs on the books .....
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 03/04/2008   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm afraid I'd have to opt for the sales division myself! Of course, I'd have to take out a second mortgage!
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2866 Posts
Posted 03/04/2008   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This a superb thread! This site has come a long way in a little over two months of existence - thank you everyone for your contributions!

Valued Member
USA
149 Posts
Posted 03/08/2008   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jser to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your contributions, and if you have any more suggestions feel free to keep this topic going.
I will have to check that stuff out and see what the local library has.

Jser
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1927 Posts
Posted 03/09/2008   04:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Triggersmob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I still have my first book, from when I started collecting. It's about 40 years old and as good as the day it was bought (well nearly). The idea behind this book was to encourage kids by awarding them points for items they owned or had seen.

Steve

Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 03/09/2008   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a neat book Triggersmob! I haven't looked, but I would hope there are products out there like that now. Of course we would probably need some sort of super XBox game to get a kid's attention these days.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 2,170Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05