Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

China Red Revenue #84 Counterfeit?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
Posted 04/19/2019   11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add NanoPhilatelic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this a genuine China Red Revenue 84? PSE sent me back a cert saying it was counterfeit. But I think it is genuine. Notice the small red specks on the front and back it would be impossible to recreate those.
Any thoughts?
For the record, I love PSE, I am nothing but please with their service and will be using their services again. I am only asking for feedback.

Thank you.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3620 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A certified copy.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
596 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You haven't told us what made PSE decide it was a counterfeit. Don't they tell you on the certificate? To my untrained eye, that is one very nice looking stamp in nearly new condition, a factor that makes it ether a very high quality genuine stamp -- or suspect as a reprint or counterfeit, meaning a stamp can look "too good". It's a pretty good counterfeit, if it is one.

Now I see the certificate for the genuine stamp. Any chance of seeing the certificate for the one in question?

Here are a few differences I see:
The characters on your copy are much darker and more intense than on the legitimate copy which has more lightly inked characters.

In "dollar," the upper "flags" on the two "l's on the genuine copy are longer than on the other version where they seem shorter and stubbier.

The thickness and direction of some of the lines of the Chinese characters vary from one version to another.

The upper leftmost Chinese character is very different from one stamp to another. Look particularly at the horizontal cross bar which seems to be missing from the genuine stamp.

And so on.
Edited by DrewM - 04/20/2019 12:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3620 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   12:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just look at the engraving. A stamp to behold in person. The "red revenues."
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1538 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NanoPhilatelic, is the color of yours accurately reproduced on your screen? What I see is an incorrect color for the stamp. There really are no shades for this issue. Compare with redwoodrandy's.

Is the underlying stamp engraved? It does not appear to be in the blowup. The engine turning in the genuine around "3 CENTS" is very clear and finely done in the genuine. Again, compare with redwoodrandy's. And this stamp cannot be made from an original red revenue (without overprint) as that is far rarer than a large one dollar surcharge.
Edited by hy-brasil - 04/20/2019 12:50 am
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   01:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NanoPhilatelic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They never gave me a reason why they thought it was counterfeit. I asked, to no avail. I would really like to know.
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   01:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NanoPhilatelic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the cert. I got back.

Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NanoPhilatelic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a closer scan of the stamp.

Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   02:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NanoPhilatelic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
redwoodrandy I see the same tiny red specks on yours that I do mine.

The overprint characters are not that intense, and in some spots transparent.
Edited by NanoPhilatelic - 04/20/2019 02:04 am
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2129 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What the expertizers saw first was that the base stamp is a forgery.
In the genuine stamps the cross hatching in the center is close knit.

Zurich Asia Auction detail
Edited by perf12 - 04/20/2019 10:24 am
Valued Member
265 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Disclaimer - I know little to nothing about these stamps.

That said, and ignoring the printing, to my eye the perfs on NanoPhilatelic's copy look completely different than redwoodrandy's.

NanoPhilatelic's look too perfect and the hole size looks to be smaller? May just be from the different sized scans?
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NanoPhilatelic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My perfs look inconsistent. I will upload a picture with the perf. gauge a little later. I should of done earlier.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3166 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not have the $1.00 version, but I do have the one cent. It is NOT a certified copy, but here is a closeup of the inner circle. The cross hatching is shown in higher detail for your consideration.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05